Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 3/27/2023 8:08:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bgu301]
I have a Frankford Arsenal xm-177e2 SGW RR I bought a few years ago made from an Olympic forged castle roll marked receiver.

I wanted to get it reprofiled to spec to at least take pmags but have read M60 Joe is no longer doing that work.

Anyone have any recommendations on who is the go to for this type of machining and refinishing?

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
US Anodizing isnt taking any more work, but I suppose you could call Victor and ask him
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#2]
No personal experience or current knowledge, but supposedly Gary's Bunker was originally the recommended shop when M60 Joe ceased operations.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I had reached out to us anodizing a few months ago with no response. I will give gary a shout! Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:22:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gmtmaster:
US Anodizing isnt taking any more work, but I suppose you could call Victor and ask him
View Quote

I had USanodizing do mine. They weren’t taking any work back then (like 5+ years ago) but still were accepting work on NFA items.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Victor had done the work on my Frankford Arsenal/OLY lower a few years ago. It turned out great. I had a friend send in his lower to Victor about 6 mos ago. He is still doing M-16 work.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#7]
You may want to try the Gen M3 Pmags.  My Frankford Arsenal won't take the Gen M2, but works fine with Gen M3 Pmags.  As for the other work, Victor re-anodized mine and it turned out fine, but the markings are a lot lighter after the process.  I had the lower worked on by M60 Joe before he quit working on them, so no recommendations for that based on personal experience.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By osprey21:

https://www.garysbunker.com/

Gary did quite a bit of work for m60joe prior to Herb retiring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:
No personal experience or current knowledge, but supposedly Gary's Bunker was originally the recommended shop when M60 Joe ceased operations.

https://www.garysbunker.com/

Gary did quite a bit of work for m60joe prior to Herb retiring.

I have an SOT buddy that has had Gary do several things for him, always super happy with his work.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I’d call Victor at US Anodizing first. He typically will accept work on MGs. He does excellent work and you get the benefit of having the lower reanodized.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
I’d call Victor at US Anodizing first. He typically will accept work on MGs. He does excellent work and you get the benefit of having the lower reanodized.
View Quote

This. And send some stripped uppers with it to have it matched.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tactical_dude:

View Quote

This is solid advice.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbntex] [#12]
Originally Posted By tactical_dude:

View Quote
I have had two Olympic M16s re-anodized by US Anodizing and both times I inquired about getting some uppers done at the same time so they would match.

Both times Victor essentially declined to take any uppers as part of the project.

He also told me that due to the metallurgical differences between a modern upper forging and a 35+ year old Oly lower they wouldn't really be an identical match anyway so it would be a waste of time/effort/money.  Basically there would be no guarantee that a stripped re-anodized/re-dyed upper would match any closer to the updated lower finish than what a standard modern black upper would be out of the box from whomever I bought it from in the first place.

Seemed like a good idea to me in practice but I got shot down both times I inquired about sending a few uppers with my lowers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I had US Anodizing do mine. Excellent work. Extremely pleased.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top