Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2023 2:59:22 PM EDT
I want a semi auto SBS.

I just need reliable and able to mount a weaponlight, rds and sling.

I’m kind of torn between finding a 14” Benelli M2 SBS

Or tracking down a Tac-13 and  do a form 1.

Any opinions on one way or the other?

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Benelli M4 SBS
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 4:43:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Benelli M4 SBS
View Quote

I was considering that but one obviously highest dollar route. I was hoping someone would talk me out of it

It’ll get fed basically nothing but Flite control and HST slugs and breaching slugs
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:31:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#4]
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
I was considering that but one obviously highest dollar route. I was hoping someone would talk me out of it
It'll get fed basically nothing but Flite control and HST slugs and breaching slugs
View Quote
If you're just going with a lightweight RDS and a light, the M2 SBS would be great, and less expensive, and lighter weight (handles better).

If you might later want to add a shell carrier, along with maybe a heavier RDS, and a light, all that weight adds up and can become a problem for the M2, so that's where the M4 comes in.

I have no experience with how either cycles breaching shells.

I have an old M1 Entry with a dedicated Surefire light and it's awesome. I like the ghost load feature too. (7 shells in a 14" shotgun.) The newer bolt carriers can also be modified to allow ghost loading.

I also have an M3, but I don't recommend them. If your breaching shell (or whatever) fails to cycle then just reach up and cycle the charging handle. That's just as fast as switching to pump mode and pumping it, and the recoil spring setup is inferior on the M3 (although the whole M3 is still better than a SPAS-12).
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
If you're just going with a lightweight RDS and a light, the M2 SBS would be great, and less expensive, and lighter weight (handles better).

If you might later want to add a shell carrier, along with maybe a heavier RDS, and a light, all that weight adds up and can become a problem for the M2, so that's where the M4 comes in.

I have no experience with how either cycles breaching shells.

I have an old M1 Entry with a dedicated Surefire light and it's awesome. I like the ghost load feature too. (7 shells in a 14" shotgun.) The newer bolt carriers can also be modified to allow ghost loading.

I also have an M3, but I don't recommend them. If your breaching shell (or whatever) fails to cycle then just reach up and cycle the charging handle. That's just as fast as switching to pump mode and pumping it, and the recoil spring setup is inferior on the M3 (although the whole M3 is still better than a SPAS-12).
View Quote

@KitBuilder

The breaching rounds we use are basically 1 ounce frangiible slugs of a couple different brands, they have some poop behind them. haven’t had an issue cycling in an A300, 1301 and even a 930.

Do you know if the M2s inertia system has issues  cycling if like I’m holding it at funny angles  off shoulder attacking a door ?   The most iill put on it is an RMR/T-2 light and sling

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 11:08:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#6]
Do you know if the M2s inertia system has issues  cycling if like I'm holding it at funny angles  off shoulder attacking a door?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Do you know if the M2s inertia system has issues  cycling if like I'm holding it at funny angles  off shoulder attacking a door?
I have not tried that, but I don't think you'll have problems. The inertia system still works fine if the gun can give a little initially and then stop tight (unlike a Glock). They need a little give in order to unlock properly, and then when the whole BCG mass starts traveling aft it needs the gun supported in order to get full rearward travel. Normally your shoulder accomplishes all that, but it doesn't matter how, as long as it happens.

I did try mine underarm tucked (no stock pad contact) and that worked fine just holding the pistol grip.

The most iill put on it is an RMR/T-2 light and sling
You should be fine then.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like my form 1 Tac 13, but it has an uncertain future as far as parts support goes.  Wouldn't worry about that aspect with Benelli.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
I really like my form 1 Tac 13, but it has an uncertain future as far as parts support goes.  Wouldn't worry about that aspect with Benelli.
View Quote

Yeah the status of the company had me hesitant between QC and the company going away

I’ve read a few posts here and there about them allegedly starting to make them again
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If M2 is an option, then M2 is THE option

M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you know if the M2s inertia system has issues  cycling if like I’m holding it at funny angles  off shoulder attacking a door ?   The most iill put on it is an RMR/T-2 light and sling
View Quote

Mine has never hiccuped with sling and either long or short barrel.

The inertia system is sensitive to mass; but it’s primarily affected by increases in mass, and not decreases associated with chopping barrels.  Within certain limits, reducing the guns mass enhances the reliability of an already robust action.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
If M2 is an option, then M2 is THE option

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50815481611_28e0c28c0e_h.jpgM2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

View Quote

That’s downright sexy with the chopped vent rib barrel
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#12]

That's downright sexy with the chopped vent rib barrel
View Quote
Just to help cloud the issue some more.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
Just to help cloud the issue some more.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/IMG_2369_jpeg-3040504.JPG
View Quote

Ah you dick
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Casual

Dressed up

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m sure if I bought a Tac-13

Remington would immediately start making them again and it’d be like half what I paid
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure if I bought a Tac-13

Remington would immediately start making them again and it'd be like half what I paid
View Quote
I just looked on gunbroker, the prices are way lower than I thought they'd be, but then again so were the M2s.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:46:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xCLAYBUSTERx] [#17]
I’m sure if I bought a Tac-13

Remington would immediately start making them again and it’d be like half what I paid
View Quote

They are making them again. This one was made this year and was $950 out the door.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: R83392 is the currently made version of 83392
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By xCLAYBUSTERx:

They are making them again. This one was made this year and was $950 out the door.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14611/IMG_1578_jpeg-3041199.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14611/IMG_1579_jpeg-3041200.JPG

ETA: R83392 is the currently made version of 83392
View Quote

@xCLAYBUSTERx

Where’d you get it through

I’ve been scouring wholesalers
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#19]

@xCLAYBUSTERx

Where’d you get it through

I’ve been scouring wholesalers
View Quote

https://www.kygunco.com/product/remarms-r83392-v3-tactical-12-gauge-13

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I just picked up a new production Tac-13. Originally was gonna SBS it, but now I’m toying with the idea of making it an AOW instead. I’ve got a SOT willing to Form 2 so I can pay the $5 stamp.

With the 870 adapter it comes with I could throw a 870 pistol grip on the gun, or I could shorten the barrel and remove the mag extension to get under the length for a AOW
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm thinking about turning my versa max into a SBS.  Any idea on a gun smith to use to make the gun more scary and evil?
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Rose Actions Sports has cut down hundreds of barrels for members here with great feedback.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By xCLAYBUSTERx:

https://www.kygunco.com/product/remarms-r83392-v3-tactical-12-gauge-13

View Quote

I managed to find one about an hour away from me at Champion Firearms

Was able to find it searching that new MPN # you provided, thanks @xCLAYBUSTERx

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]

I managed to find one about an hour away from me at Champion Firearms

Was able to find it searching that new MPN # you provided, thanks @xCLAYBUSTERx

View Quote

Awesome.

My e-filed form 1 took 3 weeks a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]
You want chopped vent rib?  You gonna get chopped vent rib. Work by Rose Action Sports

DSC_1706-M2 Muzzle by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1711-M2 Rib by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1715-M2 Rib by FredMan, on Flickr

Now with mag extension goodness!!

M2 SBS Nordic Plus 7 by FredMan, on Flickr

But seriously…

M2 SBS +1 Detail by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 SBS +1 Detail by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 +1 Muzzle Front by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 +1 Muzzle Oblique by FredMan, on Flickr

M2 +1 Muzzle Profile by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:24:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#26]
Originally Posted By CodDawkins:
Casual

https://i.imgur.com/ZqjeNKXl.jpg

Dressed up

https://i.imgur.com/X0pMqHUl.jpg
View Quote

@CodDawkins

I feel like this is supposed to be attached to the barrel? Am I right?  Figured you’d  be quicker than calling Remington

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: to my surprised I called remington and with no hold time spoke to a fella that actually seemed like he knows a thing or 2 about guns and not in India,

I'll see how this goes
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#27]
The front fell off

Seriously, looks like your gas block fell off.

https://randywakeman.com/Review2017RemingtonV3WalnutReviewPartOne.htm

@CodDawkins

I feel like this is supposed to be attached to the barrel? Am I right?  Figured you'd  be quicker than calling Remington

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435001/IMG_1249_jpeg-3044162.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435001/IMG_1250_jpeg-3044158.JPG

ETA: to my surprised I called remington and with no hold time spoke to a fella that actually seemed like he knows a thing or 2 about guns and not in India,

I'll see how this goes
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#28]
That's cool to see how the "versaport" or whatever Rem calls it is made.  I've seen the cartoon-ish drawings of it, but never a real picture.

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 7:10:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stahlgewehr762] [#29]
It looks like the high pressure gas (which was "supposed to be" contained within the gas block/barrel) was more powerful than the factory brazing (which was "supposed to hold" the gas block to the barrel) could handle. Essentially, the gas pressure blew the gas block off of the barrel.

I would think that TIG welding the seam on both sides between the gas block and the barrel would be a better choice than brazing, and would be a nice upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
It looks like the high pressure gas (which was "supposed to be" contained within the gas block/barrel) was more powerful than the factory brazing (which was "supposed to hold" the gas block to the barrel) could handle. Essentially, the gas pressure blew the gas block off of the barrel.

I would think that TIG welding the seam on both sides between the gas block and the barrel would be a better choice than brazing, and would be a nice upgrade.
View Quote

It’s funny because it came from the factory that way. So if they test fired it it happened then. Wonder if it worked.

It’s been sent back to them for repair/replacement, we’ll see what happens
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#31]
ScoutH57. You didn't happen to check the port sizes while you had the chance did you?
I've been wanting to get those port sizes since forever. Just saw your post.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I went the M2 route.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top