Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2024 10:17:40 AM EDT
I've done this comparison 2 other times and figured I'd give it a round 3 after getting the OCL Titanium approved. Host firearms are: Madd Macs Ruger MkIV (4.5" I believe) and FN 502. Ammo is American Eagle suppressor 45 gr. This is from my (shooter) perspective.

Cans tested (L to R in picture):

Q El Camino
Energetic Arms Nyx
Liberty Regulator
Otter Creek Labs Titanium
Thunder Beast Arms 22 Takedown
CGS Siren
AAC Element 2
Dead Air Mask

I am VERY particular about rimfire can performance on pistols. With .22 being such a great round to suppress and one of the few you can realistically shoot all day without hearing protection, I am chasing performance. First round pop (FRP) where the initial shot is noticeably louder than subsequent shots drives me crazy and is a deal breaker when my goal is to shoot as quiet as possible. FRP is far more noticeable on pistols. One day I will do a comparison on rifles but I imagine it will be splitting hairs.

Results (best performing to worst with FRP performance):
-AAC Element 2/TBAC Takedown
-Dead Air Mask
-OCL Titanium
-Liberty Regulator
-CGS Siren
-EA Nyx
-Q El Camino

Notes:

-AAC Element 2 stands the test of time and continues to be my go to rimfire pistol can. I cannot hear any FRP with this can and the light weight makes it a dream on a pistol host.
-TBAC Takedown is right there with the E2 in terms of performance and would be my recommendation to any buyer today for a top performing and easy to maintain rimfire can. It is exceptionally well made, less messy than the E2, and still made.
-DA Mask is a well known and very good rimfire can. I think it was slightly louder but honestly it may be right there with the E2/TBAC. Given how good the TBAC sounds and coming in a lighter weight I would give the nod to the TBAC overall. You can still buy a Mask in confidence and be super happy.
-OCL Titanium had discernible FRP. It was definitely there but "acceptable" even with my picky standards. Maybe not a fair comparison since it's brand new/squeaky clean but it was louder than the above cans.
-Liberty Regulator has discernible FRP but also acceptable. It is far longer than the others and is a monocore design which makes cleaning much harder. I wouldn't recommend with better performing and easier to clean options out there.
-CGS Siren has unacceptable FRP for me but it is insanely quiet on additional shots. It may be the quietest among the group on 2+. I've observed the same phenomenon on the Kraken with 9mm so it must be baffle design related. The Siren will be my go to rifle can given the sound and insane lack of weight.
-EA Nyx was louder than I remember previously and the loudest of the group on shots 2+. Both the Siren and El Camino really settle down on shots 2+. I'd reserve this one for rifle duty.
-Q El Camino is the loudest in terms of FRP but as mentioned above tames down immediately.

Each can sounded the same to me regardless of host and the order/performance didn't change.

Final Thoughts

My goal with this is to share my experience and maybe help someone out there with their purchasing decision. One thing that sucks about silencers is you often don't get to try before you buy. Any .22 silencer sounds better than none so a direct comparison is about the best way to figure out what you want and even then it's difficult given all the variables. Our ears are different. What sounds good to me may not to you. A can may "sound" better but realistically be "louder". You may not be able to hear FRP or you may not care about FRP.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome info and as someone looking for a dedicated pistol can super relevant to my interest.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent, I told myself I was done buying rimfire suppressors a few months ago.  Ordered a TD22 last week.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Kinda sad you dont have any Rugged options in the mix. I'd really suggest getting the Mustang, its a great lightweight can IMO.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Kinda sad you dont have any Rugged options in the mix. I'd really suggest getting the Mustang, its a great lightweight can IMO.
View Quote

Well, the rugged oculus is the gold standard rimfire silencer and the mustang can hang with the best of them. So I consider his test a battle for second place.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:

Well, the rugged oculus is the gold standard rimfire silencer and the mustang can hang with the best of them. So I consider his test a battle for second place.
View Quote

arndog had the Rugged end covered. The Oculus is on the heavier side and modularity is a lost feature for me.

I’ve debated the Mustang before but really Rughed just needs a full titanium non modular rimfire can.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
We gotta get you and @arndog123 to do this with a 10/22

I’m wondering if there’s any perceptible difference
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I really don’t see much of a difference on rifles.  It’s the short pistol barrels (under 4”) where things like FRP becomes more apparent.  If a can has noticeable FRP it pulls rifle duty.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By arndog123:
I really don’t see much of a difference on rifles.  It’s the short pistol barrels (under 4”) where things like FRP becomes more apparent.  If a can has noticeable FRP it pulls rifle duty.
View Quote

I need to run it again on my 2” chopped MKIV to see if there’s any more parity.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be lying if I said I was not delighted the Element 2 came out on top of your test.

We caught lightening in a compact, light-weight bottle.

SilentMike
AAC 1998-2018
Dead Air today
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a pair of element IIs, love them. I would really like to know how the element III compares.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Atlmike:
I'd be lying if I said I was not delighted the Element 2 came out on top of your test.

SilentMike
AAC 1998-2018
Dead Air today
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

SilentMike
AAC 1998-2018
Dead Air today

It's a great one. I also ran the Tirant 9M this weekend and it too has stood the test of time.

Originally Posted By Britt-dog:
I have a pair of element IIs, love them. I would really like to know how the element III compares.

There's not a ton of info out there on it but I've seen several mentions of FRP.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/range-report-element3/20-549924/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/11/18/aac-element-3-rimfire/
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder how the Element 3 compares to the Element 2.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HUCK70] [#13]
Great info, I hope it helps others make an informed decision. Here is my take on the Sparrow, DA Mask and Rugged Oculus.

I bought the Sparrow probably 13 years ago, and am still happy with it. Next I bought the DA Mask 7 years ago and recently bought the Rugged Oculus.

As far as FRP on a pistol (Ruger MK IV w/ Tactical Solutions 4.5” barrel) as mentioned the Sparrow has a noticeable FRP, but after a few rounds seems to have a very consistent tone. The Oculus doesn’t have what I would call a FRP but the first shot seems a little louder than the rest. The Mask seems to have the most consistent tone and sound to me of the 3 I have, I am not sure I can much of a difference in the Mask and Oculus.

As far as cleaning goes, newer products and an ultrasonic cleaner make cleaning all 3 easy.

Just my take an addition, hope it helps.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HUCK70:
Great info, I hope it helps others make an informed decision. Here is my take on the Sparrow, DA Mask and Rugged Oculus.

I bought the Sparrow probably 13 years ago, and am still happy with it. Next I bought the DA Mask 7 years ago and recently bought the Rugged Oculus.

As far as FRP on a pistol (Ruger MK IV w/ Tactical Solutions 4.5” barrel) as mentioned the Sparrow has a noticeable FRP, but after a few rounds seems to have a very consistent tone. The Oculus doesn’t have what I would call a FRP but the first shot seems a little louder than the rest. The Mask seems to have the most consistent tone and sound to me of the 3 I have, I am not sure I can much of a difference in the Mask and Oculus.

As far as cleaning goes, newer products and an ultrasonic cleaner make cleaning all 3 easy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32514/image_jpg-3184333.JPG
View Quote

Based on my experience and @arndog123 as well it seems like you can’t go wrong with:

-TBAC Takedown
-DA Mask
-Rugged Oculus/Mustang

I need to get the OCL Ti dirty to see if it gets quieter but it wasn’t hanging with the big dogs initially.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Based on my experience and @arndog123 as well it seems like you can’t go wrong with:

-TBAC Takedown
-DA Mask
-Rugged Oculus/Mustang

I need to get the OCL Ti dirty to see if it gets quieter but it wasn’t hanging with the big dogs initially.

View Quote

Yup.  Those are my go to cans especially for pistol use.

You should try some Thunderbolt ammo with the OCL Ti22 because that’s the ammo they used in their tests.  It’s the first time I’ve used it and the can did pretty good with it in my comparison test.  I’ll be doing more testing with other ammo in the future too.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:26:02 AM EDT
[#16]

-TBAC Takedown
-DA Mask
-Rugged Oculus/Mustang

View All Quotes

-TBAC Takedown
-DA Mask
-Rugged Oculus/Mustang

I have no experience comparing them but these seem to be the same names I see mentioned over and over.  I was in the market for a light weight can to be used predominantly on pistols teaching my boys to shoot. I was looking at the Q erector and Mustang but ended up cheeping out and getting the CGS Hydra al. I’ll probably get that Mustang sooner than later.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

I have no experience comparing them but these seem to be the same names I see mentioned over and over.  I was in the market for a light weight can to be used predominantly on pistols teaching my boys to shoot. I was looking at the Q erector and Mustang but ended up cheeping out and getting the CGS Hydra al. I’ll probably get that Mustang sooner than later.
View All Quotes

-TBAC Takedown
-DA Mask
-Rugged Oculus/Mustang

@Mblades

I don't think you 'cheeped out' by buying the Hydra, it's a very effective, light weight can.  If it's all I had, knowing what I know, I would not feel in the least like I had something less than others.  The Hydra is simply an Aluminum version of the CGS Siren (Carbon Fiber).

When I did back to back Siren vs. Mask (I think this was on a pistol), the Siren had the smallest FRP, almost imperceptible (to me), and was (to me, on this day and this gun) every bit as good as the Mask.  Use it and love it.  Having said that, I did just buy a Mustang as it's the lightest can currently available (I think), plus it's slightly shorter than others.  Once you use a light can vs. something like the Mask, you'll see why the trend is moving toward lighter cans it seems.  I wish for a 3 oz Mask in Ti.

Besides you pretty much can't go wrong with any 22 suppressor, they are all hearing safe.  You want really light? Try ECCO Salamander or AB Little Bird
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:

@Mblades

I don't think you 'cheeped out' by buying the Hydra, it's a very effective, light weight can.  If it's all I had, knowing what I know, I would not feel in the least like I had something less than others.  The Hydra is simply an Aluminum version of the CGS Siren (Carbon Fiber).

When I did back to back Siren vs. Mask (I think this was on a pistol), the Siren had the smallest FRP, almost imperceptible (to me), and was (to me, on this day and this gun) every bit as good as the Mask.  Use it and love it.  Having said that, I did just buy a Mustang as it's the lightest can currently available (I think), plus it's slightly shorter than others.  Once you use a light can vs. something like the Mask, you'll see why the trend is moving toward lighter cans it seems.  I wish for a 3 oz Mask in Ti.

Besides you pretty much can't go wrong with any 22 suppressor, they are all hearing safe.  You want really light? Try ECCO Salamander or AB Little Bird
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:

-TBAC Takedown
-DA Mask
-Rugged Oculus/Mustang

@Mblades

Thanks for the added info. I think you are right and I’m sure I’ll be happy with the CGS, I went into it thinking the Mustang would be the one I’d chose but the $150 savings on the CGS won me over. The fit and finish on the Mustang was exceptional and the long/short configurability is really cool so it’s easy to see where the extra money goes.

If the FRP on the hydra is an issue I’ll use it as an excuse to buy another 10/22 and get the Mustang for the Walter p22.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#19]
A little Vaseline wiped on the baffles when you reassemble them gets rid of the FRP and makes your cans even quieter.

You don't need big globs, just a nice thin layer on each baffle and don't block the path of the bullet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:20:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#20]
View Quote

if true, im glad, cause i shot my element 3 and it was quiet; but nothing like you element 2 guys rant and rave about. so ive decided that i need to get it kinda dirty before making final judgment. still kinda have buyers remorse as i still want a mask (and both of my AAC cans had issues out the box).

thanks for this thread. kinda surprised you dont have an oculus if FRP is a concern. The oculus is the only can ive ever shot on a rifle that was quieter the first round, than the subsequent rounds. i have not been able to successfully replicate this though with different environments/ammo. im sure its amazing on a pistol as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't care that much about FRP, but this is still an awesome thread with great info.

Not very many people can do a comparison like this, so the effort is appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:

if true, im glad, cause i shot my element 3 and it was quiet; but nothing like you element 2 guys rant and rave about. so ive decided that i need to get it kinda dirty before making final judgment. still kinda have buyers remorse as i still want a mask (and both of my AAC cans had issues out the box).

thanks for this thread. kinda surprised you dont have an oculus if FRP is a concern. The oculus is the only can ive ever shot on a rifle that was quieter the first round, than the subsequent rounds. i have not been able to successfully replicate this though with different environments/ammo. im sure its amazing on a pistol as well.
View Quote

I’ve passed on the Oculus  thus far as it fills the same role as the Mask as a “heavyweight.” Once I got used to the Element 2 weight difference there was no going back. The Mustang would probably be the direction I go in but I’m thinking I may have reached critical mass on rimfire cans.

The CAT rimfire can has my attention if it can really push the performance envelope further as I chase the sound on rimfire cans. I just don’t know about a sealed rimfire can and their recommended cleaning process/solution.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#23]

I’ve passed on the Oculus  thus far as it fills the same role as the Mask as a “heavyweight.” Once I got used to the Element 2 weight difference there was no going back. The Mustang would probably be the direction I go in but I’m thinking I may have reached critical mass on rimfire cans.

The CAT rimfire can has my attention if it can really push the performance envelope further as I chase the sound on rimfire cans. I just don’t know about a sealed rimfire can and their recommended cleaning process/solution.
View Quote

I feel the same way about the CAT can.  I just don't want to pay for their $140/qt cleaner/solution.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Great post, OP!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#25]
First round pop (FRP) where the initial shot is noticeably louder than subsequent shots drives me crazy and is a deal breaker when my goal is to shoot as quiet as possible. FRP is far more noticeable on pistols.
View Quote
You do seem a bit obsessed with FRP.  

Seriously, I'm sure you've tried ablatives, right? A cap full of water or a drop of wire pulling gel in the blast chamber should mitigate FRP in those cans at the bottom of the list.

I love these comparisons. Thanks for compiling the info and sharing it!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
You do seem a bit obsessed with FRP.  

Seriously, I'm sure you've tried ablatives, right? A cap full of water or a drop of wire pulling gel in the blast chamber should mitigate FRP in those cans at the bottom of the list.

I love these comparisons. Thanks for compiling the info and sharing it!
View Quote

Ablatives work great but if I can getaway without using them it’s ideal.

And yes I have an unhealthy FRP obsession. Suppressed subsonic rimfire is the peak shooting experience so I really nerd out on performance.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Ablatives are also messy.  Crap gets all over your optic, you and the gun.  I’ll just use a can that had little to no FRP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:45:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#28]
Ablatives are also messy.  Crap gets all over your optic, you and the gun.
View Quote
Maybe you are using too much. A little goes a long way. Especially with 22LR cans.

I love ablatives. It's like nitrous for suppressors. But makes them quieter instead of faster.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Ablatives work great but if I can getaway without using them it's ideal.
View All Quotes
Ablatives work great but if I can getaway without using them it's ideal.
I'll just use a can that had little to no FRP.
Agreed. A really well designed can is optimal.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#30]
The Element 2 was my first can, and it was a great choice. I have the Mask and Siren as well, and the frp is quite noticeable.

I have a GSL Tomcat on an MP5 .22 and it sounds magical on there. I'm a frp snob too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome test. Too bad you aren't in VA.

I did a video comparison of the .22 cans I have. Host G44 w/ CCI Standard. Sparrow had the largest FRP, which was expected.

The TBAC is probably my favorite out of all of them, and the Hansohn punches above its weight (I think it was designed as a clone of the Element 2).

https://youtu.be/PWGaJ1yPsOg

I know, sorry for the crappy S22 phone holding next to the gun, but it at least gives a slight comparison you can hear on the FRP of each of them.

I do not have data on the weather at the time of this.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice writeup. I always appreciate these from those of you who take the time to do it. One day I will get out there with all of my 22 cans and do this as well. some day when I have the time...
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Good write up and timely for me. My local shop has a TB22 in stock. I might jump on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:
My local shop has a TB22 in stock. I might jump on it.
View Quote

Do it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:
Good write up and timely for me. My local shop has a TB22 in stock. I might jump on it.
View Quote

You will not be disappointed. I'd jump on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:54:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Minshooter] [#36]

SilentMike
AAC 1998-2018
Dead Air today
View Quote

Shame on You.
You had to go and make the darn thing so good that everyone is still working to just match it.

(That must be why I have more than one).
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Minshooter:

Shame on You.
You had to go and make the darn thing so good that everyone is still working to just match it.

(That must be why I have more than one).
View Quote

I would love to be at a live shoot of the old school element 2, the new element 3, and the hansohn bros vidar (clone of element 2) would be fun to see!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Ablatives are also messy.  Crap gets all over your optic, you and the gun.  I’ll just use a can that had little to no FRP.
View Quote

If you are getting crap all over the place you are using too much.   Just a thin coat of Vaseline on each baffle does wonders.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#39]
No love for the Switchback?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:
No love for the Switchback?
View Quote

Modularity isn't a feature I need/want and the weight in full length was already similar to Mask/Oculus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top