Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2024 8:38:15 PM EDT
Hey all,

I bought my very first gun in 2005. An 870 express. At some point, I added a magazine extension to it, so I drilled out the detents on the magazine tube. I kinda want to use this gun for turkeys, so i'm thinking I want to remove the magazine extension. I have all of the original parts, but having drilled those detents out, the magazine cap doesn't ratchet. It still holds ok, but I can imagine it backing off after a day of bumping around in the woods. Is there any decent way to use the original magazine tube having drilled out the dimples?

In case this needs to be said: some 870's have a ball detent on the barrel that ratchets and holds the end cap, but on the express the spring retainer is what ratchets against the cap. Since the dimples are gone, there's nothing to hold the retainer in place.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The wave washer and an old style Remington magazine spring retainer.
This goes in with the cupped side down...........

The retainer is getting hard to find........$5.00 from Bob's., who's about the only place that has them.
https://www.gun-parts.com/remingtonshotgun/

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I assume you want to remove the extension so that you do not exceed maximum magazine capacity. Why not just insert a magazine plug/limiter? That can be simply be a cut length of wood doll rod.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Shell limits on turkey?  Not a federally protected migratory bird.

Anyway - Loctite.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Shell limits on turkey?  Not a federally protected migratory bird.

Anyway - Loctite.
View Quote

Many states have regulations, Kentucky for example:

Breech-loading shotguns must be plugged to hold a maximum of three shells (two in magazine and one in chamber).
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GunCat:

Breech-loading shotguns must be plugged to hold a maximum of three shells (two in magazine and one in chamber).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GunCat:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Shell limits on turkey?  Not a federally protected migratory bird.

Anyway - Loctite.

Interesting.  I think Oklahoma has a 5 round rifle limit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
The wave washer and an old style Remington magazine spring retainer.
This goes in with the cupped side down...........

The retainer is getting hard to find........$5.00 from Bob's., who's about the only place that has them.
https://www.gun-parts.com/remingtonshotgun/

View Quote

Ordered the wave washer, and a retainer. Thanks everyone. Wave washer looks right, but their description is very strange.

I have no capacity limitation, but as I get older I'm starting to appreciate lighter guns more, so i'm taking off unnecessary parts. And, idk, it just thought there should be some solution for this problem. This also might turn into double duty, turkey and loaner/backup waterfowl shotun. I just want to start using this gun again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:08:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#8]
There used to be instructions online for adding a ball detent to 870 barrels and a ball and spring kit. You drilled a hole in the barrel ring then staked the ball and spring in.  This allowed use of the standard magazine cap.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:28:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stahlgewehr762] [#9]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
There used to be instructions online for adding a ball detent to 870 barrels and a ball and spring kit. You drilled a hole in the barrel ring then staked the ball and spring in.  This allowed use of the standard magazine cap.
View Quote

I can't see how you could drill that hole in the correct spot, while keeping the drill parallel to the barrel's longitudinal axis. There wouldn't seem to be enough clearance between the drill and the side of the barrel. The drill could be touching the side of the barrel and still be too far from the spot you would need to drill that hole. Obviously you don't want to drill that hole at an angle, either.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just really curious about how it is/was done. I might have to look for those instructions.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:

I can't see how you could drill that hole in the correct spot, while keeping the drill parallel to the barrel's longitudinal axis. There wouldn't seem to be enough clearance between the drill and the side of the barrel. The drill could be touching the side of the barrel and still be too far from the spot you would need to drill that hole. Obviously you don't want to drill that hole at an angle, either.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just really curious about how it is/was done. I might have to look for those instructions.
View Quote

I'm going to look for the plans too, but of course I already ordered the other parts. I bet the angle of the hole isn't very critical though, as long as you don't drill into the barrel. I bet it's tight, but do-able.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
View Quote
It's discussed here, and there's a link to rem870.com with the precise location:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Remington-870-Magazine-cap-detent/1-504422/

They don’t show the drill in the Bridgeport mill, but you might need an extra long drill bit (like a 12” aircraft extension drill).
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
It's discussed here, and there's a link to rem870.com with the precise location:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Remington-870-Magazine-cap-detent/1-504422/

They don’t show the drill in the Bridgeport mill, but you might need an extra long drill bit (like a 12” aircraft extension drill).
View Quote

Going to need a looooong drill to do my 26" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
Going to need a looooong drill to do my 26" barrel.
View Quote
It can be drilled at an angle, as long as one doesn't drill into the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#14]
For an update, i bought a magazine retainer for a browning bps for $1.65, and a wave washer. Both fit, look and feel perfect. I was a little skeptical, but I feel very confident in the setup now. Thanks for the help everyone!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top