Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 10:30:51 PM EDT
Not reloading,  so factory ammunition is expected.  Kel Tec RFB, 18" barrel, 11.25:1 twist. No prior experience with this stuff, aside from my suppressed 10/22.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Start with Hornady Match ELD.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for subsonic loads (not common)? Accuracy? If not, go with whatever you can get cheapest.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I assume you are shooting targets, precision rifle etc. vs hunting.  I have used Federal Gold Medal match, and Hornady ELD-M before I started handloading.  Try several ammunition types and bullet weight to see what yours likes to shoot.  If you are hunting, just buy any 168 or 175 gr and go for it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
At my age, plinking, target shooting are the goal. I keep reading about baffle strikes and tumbling bullets. My first goal is to avoid that. My second goal is reasonably achievable sound suppression.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
Are you looking for subsonic loads (not common)? Accuracy? If not, go with whatever you can get cheapest.
View Quote
Subsonic, if available or even necessary. Like I said,  I am the new kid here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001895565

I’ve used Atomic in a bolt gun, but it drops like a rock but it’s quite.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#7]
Subsonics will most likely turn that host into a straight pull bolt action.  With that barrel twist you probably don’t want heavier than 190 grain subsonics. Try first without suppressor to check target for bullet stability (keyholing, evidence of tumbling, non-circular bullet holes).  

Plinking with full action cycling try different 147 grain M-80 clone ball ammo.  I wouldn’t worry about stability with those.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Federal Gold Medal Match is the 308 gold standard.

I know of at least 4 different LEO sniper teams that use it exclusively and it just hammers in the two rifles that I shoot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:33:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I only shoot subsonic. .22 and 9mm suppressed. That being said, subsonic rifle rounds are pointless, IMO. Pistol caliber ballistics at several times the cost.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:59:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#10]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I only shoot subsonic. .22 and 9mm suppressed. That being said, subsonic rifle rounds are pointless, IMO. Pistol caliber ballistics at several times the cost.
View Quote

This is where I am.  Rifle suppressors are just highly effective and expensive blast reducers.  The supersonic crack of a 556 or 308 is around 130-135dB. I can live with that.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bobbitybobbity:
View Quote

Trying out subs in .308 might be fun for giggles but is not something used often by most people, and as stated above typically won’t cycle a semi. Get whatever cheap ammo for blasting you want, and for precision, whichever load your rifle likes best. You don’t have to change anything ammo wise for suppressors using rifle calibers—300blk subs being the most common exception (and you can still use supers, they’re obviously just louder).
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Subs with that twist rate is a recipe for grenading your can
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:40:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#13]
Your question is akin to asking “what kind of fuel should I put in my car?”

Are you driving a 20 year old clapped out minivan or a heavily modified high boost vehicle?

What type of shooting are you trying to do here?  Ranges?  Target size?  What are your goals?

Frankly, the gun being suppressed has fuck all to do with ammo choice, outside of the extreme fringes, like heavy subs that may or may not stabilize with your twist rate.  Outside of that, you aren’t going to notice any perceptible differences in suppression from one supersonic load to another.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I would stay away from Hornady. I had some blown primers with it in my sr25 and sandman s. Switched to 762x51 fgmm and no issues since. Great stuff and has crimped primers so it is better suited for use with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Your question is akin to asking "what kind of fuel should I put in my car?"

Are you driving a 20 year old clapped out minivan or a heavily modified high boost vehicle?

What type of shooting are you trying to do here?  Ranges?  Target size?  What are your goals?

Frankly, the gun being suppressed has fuck all to do with ammo choice, outside of the extreme fringes, like heavy subs that may or may not stabilize with your twist rate.  Outside of that, you aren't going to notice any perceptible differences in suppression from one supersonic load to another.
View Quote
Was reading comprehension optional in your day? I confessed to being inexperienced,  I didn't suggest I was an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#16]
Was reading comprehension optional in your day? I confessed to being inexperienced,  I didn't suggest I was an idiot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Your question is akin to asking "what kind of fuel should I put in my car?"

Frankly, the gun being suppressed has fuck all to do with ammo choice, outside of the extreme fringes, like heavy subs that may or may not stabilize with your twist rate.  Outside of that, you aren't going to notice any perceptible differences in suppression from one supersonic load to another.

I didn’t call you an idiot.  I’m just giving you the facts.  And what did I fail to comprehend? Outside of niche ammo, like subs, you choose ammo based upon what type of shooting you’re trying to do.  Suppressed or unsuppressed is for the most part immaterial to ammo choice with most centerfire rifle.

The only caveats I could potentially see would be with a) subs, which aren’t a good choice for a SA .308 and b) crappy combloc steel case, because it’s pretty well known to accelerate baffle wear.

Most other brass cased supersonic .308 loads are going to stabilize just fine in your gun and as stated, you will not notice a difference from one supersonic load to another suppression wise.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
FWIW, I had a 700 with a 20" 11.5 twist.

Did ok with 168 SMK, but it really liked the Sierra 155 Palma bullet, with 4895 or 4064, at normal reloading book levels.

If you're looking for Subsonic .308 -be absolutely sure to follow the above advice to first test without the can.

Also FWIW:  
Have played around with .308 Sub handloads in faster twist barrels.
A questionable use of time and money, just to duplicate 300 Blackout.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]
if you can find it try some S&B 7.62x51 subsonic , it uses the lapua 200gr bullet

you might get lucky and have it cycle your semi auto

i think your 1:11.25 twist will stabilize the lapua 200gr bullets but like most have said above try a few without your suppressor first to make sure there's no key holing

i have a 1:10 twist 308 that stabilizes 220gr subs with no issues

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#19]
You would be best served watching some entry-level videos about what a suppressor is and how ammunition works.
Top Top