Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2023 10:53:38 PM EDT
I've noticed that on older 10/22 and Mini 14 carbines, the buttplates do not extend out to the edge of the wood stock, there is a small gap. On newer carbines, the stock seems to be finish-shaped with the plate installed, so that the plate is even with the butt end of the stock.

Did Ruger slightly thin down the wood stocks to match the same old buttplate size, or are the newer buttplates slightly larger, to allow for flush-fitting to the same old (finished) stock size?

Something changed, either the buttplate or the stock's finished size. Does anyone know which part was changed?
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:24:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stahlgewehr762] [#2]
This is a question about the same buttplate used on at least three Ruger rifle models, two of which are centerfire (Mini 14 and Number 3), so I assumed that the Ruger Centerfire forum was the best place to ask.

I can't find my post now (other than here), so please advise on where it was moved, so I can hopefully learn something new.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stahlgewehr762:
This is a question about the same buttplate used on at least three Ruger rifle models, two of which are centerfire (Mini 14 and Number 3), so I assumed that the Ruger Centerfire forum was the best place to ask.

I can't find my post now (other than here), so please advise on where it was moved, so I can hopefully learn something new.
View Quote
IDK what percentage of the older, curved 10-22 and Mini plastic Butt plates, have this slight gap.  It may be true of the examples you examined, but perhaps not for all rifles. Perhaps stock-maker (Ruger or sub-contractor) was a little careless in making the stocks and/or butt plates.  It's also possible that the plastic butt plates might have shrunken over decades of time--it happens sometimes.

It's for sure OEM wooden stocks for Mini-14/30 rifles were notoriously loose in the fit of stock vice barreled action.  This looseness led to inaccuracy, which is easily solved by using thin non-compressible metal or plastic shims glued to the inside of the stock.  

IIRC, Numrich offers curved metal butt plates for some Ruger rifles.  Most often they require some simple user "trimming".  Numrich Metal Butt Plate HERE

Sarco OEM style curved metal butt plate HERE

Occasionally Numrich version is seen in stainless steel, which I believe is preferable.  Just fit it, bead blast it, and paint it.  After inevitable scrapes occur, just strip and re-paint.  No rusting in the meantime.

Aside from obvious impact utility, and innate durability, the metal butt plate has the advantage of shifting the rifle's center of gravity a little towards the rear, thus making the muzzle a bit "livelier".

A pristine and antique plastic butt plate may be a desirable item for a collector.  Keeping it so by replacing it with a metal butt plate may be worth it, despite the additional cost.  Depends on the overall condition of the rest of the firearm.

I could be mistaken, but some very early Ruger rifles may have come with curved metal vice later plastic butt plates.  Unsure when/if transition to curved plastic butt plates occurred.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top