Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 11:20:05 PM EDT
Anyone have a jacket made of this material? Thoughts? Looks pretty breathable.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I use it for backcountry ski touring. It's made by Rab. In general, Neoshell is excellent for any high output aerobic activity where you still want a mostly waterproof jacket. It will start wetting out after about 1.5-2 hours in consistent rain.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sdwornicki] [#2]
Not a jacket but the MTHD anorak from Tactical distributors.  It’s cut a little tight but I love the fabric. I haven’t worn it in rain, but I’ve been prone in wet snow with it for quite a while and never got wet. Kicking myself for not buying the matching pants when TD was blowing these things out.

I’ve read some reviews of neoshell garments on backcountry type of forums and some people claim the fabric isn’t very durable. I haven’t had mine long enough or used it hard enough to pass judgement on that aspect. There doesn’t seem to be very many pants in the fabric.  There’s a few more options for jackets in neoshell but still not a whole lot. Seems like it was popular for snowboarding/skiing clothes and some motorcycle gear too, for a while anyway. For some reason it seems like the fabric is kind of a dead end unfortunately, I really like my anorak. Maybe it’s too expensive or hard to work with sewing, I can only guess.

ETA: reasons I like the fabric - it’s thin and lighter than other soft shell material, quiet, breathable, with still a high degree of water resistance. Blocks wind well too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sdwornicki:
Not a jacket but the MTHD anorak from Tactical distributors.  It's cut a little tight but I love the fabric. I haven't worn it in rain, but I've been prone in wet snow with it for quite a while and never got wet. Kicking myself for not buying the matching pants when TD was blowing these things out.

I've read some reviews of neoshell garments on backcountry type of forums and some people claim the fabric isn't very durable. I haven't had mine long enough or used it hard enough to pass judgement on that aspect. There doesn't seem to be very many pants in the fabric.  There's a few more options for jackets in neoshell but still not a whole lot. Seems like it was popular for snowboarding/skiing clothes and some motorcycle gear too, for a while anyway. For some reason it seems like the fabric is kind of a dead end unfortunately, I really like my anorak. Maybe it's too expensive or hard to work with sewing, I can only guess.

ETA: reasons I like the fabric - it's thin and lighter than other soft shell material, quiet, breathable, with still a high degree of water resistance. Blocks wind well too.
View Quote
I just bought the parka from TacDis on closeout for $69.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
I just bought the parka from TacDis on closeout for $69.
View Quote

That’s a heck of a deal. When TD launched that MTHD line all that stuff was $200 or $300 if I remember correctly. The pants are sold out in my size and it doesn’t look like any of it is ever going to restock.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I see that the jackets are still available on sale. What pants go with them? I work in the rain a lot, and have been looking for water resistant non-rubber pants.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]

That’s a heck of a deal. When TD launched that MTHD line all that stuff was $200 or $300 if I remember correctly. The pants are sold out in my size and it doesn’t look like any of it is ever going to restock.
View Quote

@sdwornicki I got my wife a pair of the pants to use as snow pants and they’ve been awesome.  I should’ve gotten myself a pair too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a jacket but the MTHD anorak from Tactical distributors.  It's cut a little tight but I love the fabric. I haven't worn it in rain, but I've been prone in wet snow with it for quite a while and never got wet. Kicking myself for not buying the matching pants when TD was blowing these things out.

I've read some reviews of neoshell garments on backcountry type of forums and some people claim the fabric isn't very durable. I haven't had mine long enough or used it hard enough to pass judgement on that aspect. There doesn't seem to be very many pants in the fabric.  There's a few more options for jackets in neoshell but still not a whole lot. Seems like it was popular for snowboarding/skiing clothes and some motorcycle gear too, for a while anyway. For some reason it seems like the fabric is kind of a dead end unfortunately, I really like my anorak. Maybe it's too expensive or hard to work with sewing, I can only guess.

ETA: reasons I like the fabric - it's thin and lighter than other soft shell material, quiet, breathable, with still a high degree of water resistance. Blocks wind well too.
View Quote
@sdwornicki

Can you expand on the "tight" sizing a bit?  Is it tight in the shoulders/chest/waist?  How is the sleeve length?  I generally need a "XL/Long" garment, but sometimes an XXL will do.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By raf:
@sdwornicki

Can you expand on the "tight" sizing a bit?  Is it tight in the shoulders/chest/waist?  How is the sleeve length?  I generally need a "XL/Long" garment, but sometimes an XXL will do.
View Quote

I would almost describe it like an “Italian cut” shirt. The anorak is slimmer than a jacket in the waist. For reference I’m 5’6”, 168, probably a 32” waist and I have a medium.  When I put it on I have to unzip one side pretty much all the way up to the armpit to get it on. I can’t get it over my shoulders like a hoody to put it on without doing that. Sleeve length is fine, I’m short so regular length sleeves are a tad long on me anyway and these are no exception. It’s also longer than most softshell jackets I have. I doubt a long version would be necessary BUT that’s not a problem I’ve ever encountered. Once it’s on it’s great, it’s just that getting it off and on is a little tedious. Chest and shoulders seem to fit pretty true to the size.  I can still fit insulating layers underneath it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:07:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#9]

I would almost describe it like an "Italian cut" shirt. The anorak is slimmer than a jacket in the waist. For reference I'm 5'6", 168, probably a 32" waist and I have a medium.  When I put it on I have to unzip one side pretty much all the way up to the armpit to get it on. I can't get it over my shoulders like a hoody to put it on without doing that. Sleeve length is fine, I'm short so regular length sleeves are a tad long on me anyway and these are no exception. It's also longer than most softshell jackets I have. I doubt a long version would be necessary BUT that's not a problem I've ever encountered. Once it's on it's great, it's just that getting it off and on is a little tedious. Chest and shoulders seem to fit pretty true to the size.  I can still fit insulating layers underneath it.
View Quote
TYVM!

Based on above advice (although it is for a pull-over Anorak), closely looking at TD pix, and consulting the TD sizing chart, I bought a Parka in FDE in size XL.
What I may miss with the Parka is lack of Pit Zips which come in very handy during hot weather.

We'll see how it fits after arrival.  NO returns, so if NG fit, I'll sell it or give it to a friend.

FDE Parka arrived, and XL size is an OK fit for me.  Oddly, there Is a 3" x 3" area of dk brown lettering at top of left rear shoulder; basically a description of the Parka.  Should be on the inside, not the outside.  Oh, well, Now I know why it was marked down so heavily.  Not a deal-breaker for me, but others might object.

ETA: The lettering on the upper left back shoulder is actually visible in the supplied photos, so apparently it is common to all the Parkas.

Parka has NO venting (which I knew from the test/pix on vendor's site), so no telling how it will do in hot weather.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: caduckgunner] [#10]
Originally Posted By bdover:

@sdwornicki

I got my wife a pair of the pants to use as snow pants and they've been awesome.  I should've gotten myself a pair too.
View Quote

@sdwornicki

How do the pants run in size? The reviews seem to be for other products. Some saying they fit large, some say athletic (small). Does the waistband flex enough I should go down a size?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]

@sdwornicki

How do the pants run in size? The reviews seem to be for other products. Some saying they fit large, some say athletic (small). Does the waistband flex enough I should go down a size?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bdover:

@sdwornicki

I got my wife a pair of the pants to use as snow pants and they've been awesome.  I should've gotten myself a pair too.

@sdwornicki

I wish I had a pair and could tell you, I would get a medium but they’ve been out of stock for months now.  I think it’s @bdover who might be able to answer
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:29:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bdover] [#12]

I wish I had a pair and could tell you, I would get a medium but they’ve been out of stock for months now.  I think it’s @bdover who might be able to answer
View Quote

@cadukgunner
@sdwornicki

Wife has the small pants and I’d say if your a 32 you could squeeze into them.  I’m a 32x32 and the waist was ok, little snug.  Length is about an inch shorter than what I want in snow pants honestly.

ETA i could prob wear a thin Merino layer under the smalls but no real bulky layer at all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#13]
Having "Rain Pants" is always a useful option; probably more useful for "Field" use than everyday use, UNLESS multiple days of Heavy rain are projected.  If multiple days of heavy rain are common in your locale, then for sure get decant rain pants.  Pants Side zips are highly useful for donning/doffing such pants.

ALWAYS buy rain pants with capability of having a "loose" waistband, and such pants being secured by suspenders.  Reason for this is to allow "loose" waistband of pants to vent moisture, such venting will be prevented by wearing a tight waist belt.  

Your rain garments, especially in hot climates, need to have as much venting as possible.   It's a system and needs to have as many well-designed vents as possible.

My Patagonia Rain jacket, with Gore-Tex innards, bought many years ago from thrift store for cheap is still GTG, after being [i]properly[/] cleaned and sprayed with DWR periodically.

Anyone can do the same with GI or aftermarket rain garments.  I'm certainly not a genius, nor am I original concerning re-vamping such garments.  Search the Internet.

Top Top