Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2023 8:27:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Teddydog]
Been thinking "black powder" a bunch lately.  Filled a hole in the C&B collection today with an unfired Pietta 1860 Army for $220 today.  

I started off WAAAAAAAAAY back with a brass-frame CVA 1861 "Navy" in .44 when I was 16 or so in the mid 80s.

Followed that after a couple of years with a brass frame CVA "Wells Fargo" cased set .31 with 2 cylinders.

It was then about 10 years before I got another C&B revolver (but other BP guns).  In 2000, I stopped messing around with brass CVA guns and bought a Pietta 1851 Navy .36 and shortly an 1858 Remington .44.

Again several dry years before getting a Pietta 1862 Police .36 and then one of the tiny North American Arms Mini revolvers in .22.  And then full swing to a Uberti-made .44 Walker!

Early this year I found an unfired, in box Pietta LeMat!  One of my "holy grail" BP guns for sure and found at an acceptable price (they have always been very expensive).

And now today FINALLY an 1860 Army!

The NAA Mini didn't make the photo, but the new Colt 2nd Gen 1851 Navy did (see later post).

It seems I finally have most of the revolver bases covered. What's missing?  A Patterson of course, and the Dragoons.  Any other major pieces I'm missing?  I don't really count the low production CSA guns, or British models ('cuz I don't know that much about them).

EDIT:  See below for the later additions:  Colt 2nd Gen Navy and 1st Dragoon models!

Rob

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]

They are fun. My first cap and ball was an 1860 Army (Pietta). Then I bought a Palmetto 1849 (also Italian).  After that a genuine 1849, and 1858 Remmy. They are a hoot to shoot!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The undisputed king of BP revolvers - Ruger Old Army.  Not authentic but just the toughest.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I collect the 2nd gen colts cased with all accessories.

A brace of calvery 1860 pistols with stock.
3rd model dragoon
Walker
1860 stainless
1860 one of 8 made engraved really well.
A 1861 Colt carbine special.

Also,have two italian repops a 1860 with,stock,and a remmy with,spare cylinder and a 45 colt cylinder.

And have a brace of Ruger old armies one stainless one blued that was a evidence gun the popo really went to town with a electro pencil. Was cheap though and one day I'll temove the electro pencil crap.

They are a rabbit hole if you get started on the Colts.
Fun to,shoot too!
Keep,collecting them yer off to a great start!
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:18:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Teddydog] [#4]
Added to my C&B revolver armory today!

At the gunshow today I picked up my first actual Colt C&B revolver!  A 2nd Gen 1851 Navy complete with box and all of the papers.  

The owner/seller had modified the finish to make it look "less new"--basically removed the finish (but is not actually "bright") from the barrel and cylinder and blackened the grip frame silver.  And it is fitted with a set of ivory stocks!

From another seller I also bought a Remington Rolling Block NY NG 50-70 rifle in really nice shape with a good (but not perfect) bore and tight, crisp action!

Rob
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Cap and ball revolver thread!!!

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 2:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Teddydog] [#6]
The Colt 2nd Generation "First Model Dragoon" I mentioned is here!  Now I have 2 real Colt C&B revolvers, though no originals.

rob
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Teddydog:
The Colt 2nd Generation "First Model Dragoon" I mentioned is here!  Now I have 2 real Colt C&B revolvers, though no originals.

https://www.teddydog.org/guns/colt/Colt_2nd_FirstDragoon_box.jpg

https://www.teddydog.org/guns/colt/Colt_2nd_FirstDragoon_right.jpg

rob
View Quote

Nice!
Welcome to the world of smoke.
It's very addictive
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 10:26:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#8]
Now find the repros of the following:
Dance Brothers
Leech & Rigdon
Griswald & Gunnison
Whitney
Starr
Any others I might have missed.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL.  Like Pokemon?  Gotta catch 'em all?

The guy I bought the Dragoon from offered me a Palmetto Whitney repro for $450.  But I've spent too much lately.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]

They are so fun

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I really need a 2nd model Dragoon
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a Paterson this week.

I'd love to post pictures but  cant ever seem to get them to work right.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Riter:
The undisputed king of BP revolvers - Ruger Old Army.  Not authentic but just the toughest.
View Quote

I had one and traded it off like a FOOL dang it...
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:09:50 AM EDT
[#14]
A stainless Ruger OA fixed sight is a my grail gun. Until then, this is as close as I can get. Shown with my second generation paper cartridges.

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice old Pietta from the '90s. I prefer the fluted cylinders to the non.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:02:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone have an original Colt Civil War production era unit?  Do you fire it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I actually have an 1855-made Colt London Navy on the way!  I do hope to shoot it, if the gun is up to it.  Not a lot of shooting, but why have guns that you don't shoot?

Rob
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Teddydog:
I actually have an 1855-made Colt London Navy on the way!  I do hope to shoot it, if the gun is up to it.  Not a lot of shooting, but why have guns that you don't shoot?

Rob
View Quote

Neat - do the sell pre-configured "boxed ammo" for these?
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I found this Pietta Colt Paterson on the customer return table at Dixie Gun Works a couple years ago. There were 2 Pietta Starr revolvers also sitting there that I should've bought. All 3 have / had timing issues but that is easily managed.

Attachment Attached File

I like matching pairs. Which was easier to do before Bass Pro bought Cabela's and ruined them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top