Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2024 1:23:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: reccerecon]
For over 30 years I’ve been wanting to get a HK91A2 because they were always out of my price range, I definitely can’t afford a real HK now days. I’ve shot real HKs in the past, but have no experience with PTR or anything other current manufacturers. My question is who makes the best copy of an old style HK91A2 without the welded top rail? I know the welded rail would be better than a claw mount, but I want to stay with the original pattern. Is the PTR 91 GI the closest to original model available? Also are there any current manufacturers of black A2 triangular handguards or is it pretty much old parts like the G3 furniture kits? I’ve also noticed PTRs run around $1,000 +/- a few hundred on gunbroker. Is that a realistic price I can expect everywhere? Thanks for any information.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
i’ve heard they PTR’s either run 100% or are problematic

luck of the draw

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the input. Are you aware of any year range or models that are more problematic than others or is it the entire line that’s hit or miss?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:45:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#3]
There's a couple CETMEs on the consignment wall at my LGS.  One with wood, one with slim plastic furniture.  I wanna say it was like 8 mags and $800 OTD price.
The wide handguard you're asking about is fairly unobtanium.  I ended up with a couple airsoft ones for my PTR91.  They fit, and with a little filing the bipod mounts into them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
That’s a pretty good deal. I’ve passed up some great deals on CETMEs over the years. Looking back I probably should have gotten one, but I could never get over the rear sight. I’m a big fan of HK sights and I thought about converting one to a HK drum, but by the time it would be finished I might as well get an actual HK clone. As far as the airsoft handguards go how do they hold up and is there a certain brand that’s better than the others? I’ve never looked at airsoft parts, but I imagine they don’t have a heat shield like the originals. Not that I would likely ever get one hot enough to need it, but you never know.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#5]
In my opinion, the earlier JLD guns were better. First, the JLD guns didn’t have a rail. Then JLD guns used real foreign made [HK, FMP, EBO, Rheinmetal] surplus parts while the newer PTR guns use American made parts. While others may disagree, that is my opinion. GARY.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By reccerecon:
As far as the airsoft handguards go how do they hold up and is there a certain brand that’s better than the others? I’ve never looked at airsoft parts, but I imagine they don’t have a heat shield like the originals. Not that I would likely ever get one hot enough to need it, but you never know.
View Quote

I had to go back in and look in my pile of parts.  Here's a black one I believe is airsoft and a ribbed black one I think is aftermarket for HK91, made in bosnia by AC-Unity.  Both of them have heat shields and the metal channel and cutouts for the bipod.  The ribbed one looks like it has sling QD slots.  The airsoft one has a square where the sling attachment point would go.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ll look into the JLDs, I remember seeing them advertised when they first came out with the PTR. That’s actually pretty cool that the airsoft handguard has the heat shied. Do you know what brand it is?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
That’s actually pretty cool that the airsoft handguard has the heat shied. Do you know what brand it is?
View Quote

They are stamped LCT.  I assume its this guy.
https://www.airsoftmegastore.com/28508-lct-airsoft-lc-3-aeg-wide-handguard-black-lct-lc003-LCT-LC003
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome, thank you for the link. Those are cheap enough to replace if ever needed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

i’ve heard they PTR’s either run 100% or are problematic

luck of the draw

View Quote

I hope my 91 runs as well as my 32. The 32 ran flawlessly and it's so smooth. Very accurate too. So much so, I'm thinking of scoping it. I already had plans to scope the 91 but need to test for functionality and accuracy first.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
What are the know problems with the PTR91s? I’m curious to what to look out for and if they are fixable.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#12]
What are the know problems with the PTR91s? I’m curious to what to look out for and if they are fixable.
View Quote

Sometimes they are stillborn.  I have a PTR 32 that didn't cycle right out of the box.  I sent it in and they replaced some of the pieces around the bolt and locking stuff.

Sometimes they are really hard to charge.  I've seen folks talk about sticking a penny in the cocking tube as a spacer and that's supposed to help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s good to know. It almost sounds like they sometimes come with the wrong size rollers from the factory. One of the reasons I’ve always like HKs roller lock is the ability to swap parts sizes as they wear to keep them running right. I’m going to have to remember the penny trick. I’m no expert by any means, but I wonder if that could be a headspacing issue or just an assembly error to cause the difficult charging.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Have a PTR-91 for several years now, runs flawlessly, very happy. PTR has matured as a company over the years, I waited a long time before I was willing to give them a try.

The one we have, did require a break-in period before the group size tightened up, was almost disappointed at first, but having owned a lot of guns over the decades I know some have to have a fair amount of rounds through them to work 100%.

Right at 200 rounds, what had been a 4 MOA rifle, turned into a one-holer, 20 rounds into about 1.5" ragged hole. And that using cheap steel-case ammo.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Have a PTR-91 for several years now, runs flawlessly, very happy. PTR has matured as a company over the years, I waited a long time before I was willing to give them a try.

The one we have, did require a break-in period before the group size tightened up, was almost disappointed at first, but having owned a lot of guns over the decades I know some have to have a fair amount of rounds through them to work 100%.

Right at 200 rounds, what had been a 4 MOA rifle, turned into a one-holer, 20 rounds into about 1.5" ragged hole. And that using cheap steel-case ammo.

View Quote

That’s good to know. 200 rounds really isn’t that bad of a break in compared to some rifles I’ve owned. I have a PSA AK that had pretty tight bolt lugs and was difficult to charge. Being an AK I helped it along with some light filing on the high spots. After a couple magazines it runs smooth.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I had one that left the factory with an insanely huge bolt gap... no idea how it passed QC. It was basically a single shot rifle until I replaced the rollers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Apec:

I had one that left the factory with an insanely huge bolt gap... no idea how it passed QC. It was basically a single shot rifle until I replaced the rollers.
View Quote

Do you happen to know what year your rifle was made? It almost seems like they were/are using out of spec rollers. I’m curious if their QC is better now days and it was just a new companies growing pains, still no excuse for that kind of problem.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought that rifle 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you. It definitely sounds like the bolt gap issue has been an ongoing problem. Hopefully I’ll get lucky when I finally get one, if not at least it’s a fairly simple fix. Other than PTR is there any other manufacturers that I should look at or completely stay away from? Thanks again for everyone’s input.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a PTR 91.  Bought it back in 2016.  It was fine then it started to jam on the last round of a mag.  Did it with any mag.  I checked the bolt gap and it was good to go. I contacted PTR they paid the freight and fix it.  They put a new bolt in it. It has ran fine so far. Over 3000 rounds so far.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
It sounds like they are pretty good about fixing the rifles at least. I’m thinking for the price it will be worth it to find a PTR, hopefully I’ll get lucky and get a good one. Now I need to decide to get a new one or roll the dice on a used one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a newer PTR 91 and 51, they both ran flawlessly for me right out of the box.  Semi and with registered sear packs.  They also run perfect with the blue training ammo and bolts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Sometimes they are stillborn.  I have a PTR 32 that didn't cycle right out of the box.  I sent it in and they replaced some of the pieces around the bolt and locking stuff.

Sometimes they are really hard to charge.  I've seen folks talk about sticking a penny in the cocking tube as a spacer and that's supposed to help.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Yeah, sometimes mine is hard to fold the dang cocking lever out. When it does that, sometimes it makes charging the rifle a challenge. But I freaking PULL until it gives, lol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#24]
That’s good to know. It almost sounds like they sometimes come with the wrong size rollers from the factory. One of the reasons I’ve always like HKs roller lock is the ability to swap parts sizes as they wear to keep them running right. I’m going to have to remember the penny trick. I’m no expert by any means, but I wonder if that could be a headspacing issue or just an assembly error to cause the difficult charging.
View Quote

There's a video that explains in detail of this. It has to do with the cocking mechanism more than anything else, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#25]
PTRs both have never had a issue.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Those are really nice looking rifles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:41:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chemcmndr] [#27]
I’m really happy with my PTR-91 GI. Not sure of the date on it, but it was before they started putting paddle mag releases on them, so I had to have one installed. I was pretty surprised by the grouping on it. This was a 10 round run at 200 with irons on it and South African surplus ammo.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:02:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#28]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

i’ve heard they PTR’s either run 100% or are problematic.

luck of the draw

View Quote

I currently have 3 PTR's and have had absolutely no issues with them. Right now, I have a 9CT, 9K, K3P. I have also owned another half dozen in the past without incident.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:
I’m really happy with my PTR-91 GI. Not sure of the date on it, but it was before they started putting paddle mag releases on them, so I had to have one installed. I was pretty surprised by the grouping on it. This was a 10 round run at 200 with irons on it and South African surplus ammo.

https://i.imgur.com/SG9C27M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rzu96MY.jpg
View Quote

My supervisor gave me 2 of those extended mags. How do you like them? I also have the collapsible stock, but it's on the 32 right now. I like it. Very smooth action. It's an MKE and much smoother than the one I just got from Atlantic for the MP5.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

My supervisor gave me 2 of those extended mags. How do you like them? I also have the collapsible stock, but it's on the 32 right now. I like it. Very smooth action. It's an MKE and much smoother than the one I just got from Atlantic for the MP5.
View Quote

That’s a South African 30 rounder. I think I’ve used it all of once, but it is cool in the gun. The collapsing stock looks cool, but is nowhere as comfortable as the fixed stock for shooting. It’s got the fixed stock and bipod on it now, but wanted to have “cool points” for the photo in the catalog.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#31]

That’s a South African 30 rounder. I think I’ve used it all of once, but it is cool in the gun. The collapsing stock looks cool, but is nowhere as comfortable as the fixed stock for shooting. It’s got the fixed stock and bipod on it now, but wanted to have “cool points” for the photo in the catalog.
View Quote

I agree about the fixed stock. It feels perfect. But the collapsible one does look cool.as all get out!
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#32]

https://i.imgur.com/SG9C27M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rzu96MY.jpg
View Quote

I'm jelly.  My PTR91 has groups like that at 100 and that's with a good trigger and scope.

It runs like a sewing machine though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By N4KVE:
In my opinion, the earlier JLD guns were better. First, the JLD guns didn’t have a rail. Then JLD guns used real foreign made [HK, FMP, EBO, Rheinmetal] surplus parts while the newer PTR guns use American made parts. While others may disagree, that is my opinion. GARY.
View Quote

My JDL sn: 601 was a POS, went back & after my  local dealers attorney reached out dis they replace it. I promptly sold it off and bought a HK.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By VLODPG:

My JDL sn: 601 was a POS, went back & after my  local dealers attorney reached out dis they replace it. I promptly sold it off and bought a HK.
View Quote

What problems did you have with your JDL?  I keep hoping that one day I’ll be able to get a real HK91, but just like the SPAS12 it seems like prices keep getting higher every year. I should have got one a long time ago and I should have never sold my SPAS.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#35]

What problems did you have with your JDL?  I keep hoping that one day I’ll be able to get a real HK91, but just like the SPAS12 it seems like prices keep getting higher every year. I should have got one a long time ago and I should have never sold my SPAS.
View Quote

I would almost disagree with this. I always wanted a HK91 since the early 2000’s when I first got into guns, but the price was always a dissuading factor. Then along came PTR and offered an affordable version. Aside from the finish, the PTR gave me everything I wanted. Sure, the HK has collector value, but even then, you have to find the right buyer.

Now the SPAS is a bit different. No one is making a clone of them and even Beretta trashed all of the equipment, so as far as I know, the chances of them coming back are next to none. But even with the market, the prices have come back down on what has actually sold. I still see people asking COVID prices online for them, but they’re not selling.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#36]
That’s good news, I’ll have to start looking at the HKs better. I honestly haven’t paid much attention to them over the last couple of years as they were way priced way more than I’m willing to pay. The SPAS was a bad comparison and there’s plenty of other no longer made/imported firearms that cost a small fortune. It’s also on my out of budget want list, lol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Look at Atlantic firearms.  They sell a bunch of different manufacturers. And they stand behind what they sell and won't let you keep a lemon give him a call and talk to him about your concerns. They post here on the board a lot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, I’ll give them a call. I’ve bought parts from Atlantic before and always had good experiences.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#39]
a3r i had wouldnt run reliably

gir and girk work 100% but im also not running much ammo through them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmad2001] [#40]
Didn't JLD become PTR through buyout/ownership change?  PTR is/was using actual licensed tooling and machines from Spain.  They are for all intents and purposes HKs licensed out, once removed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTR_rifle

Years ago I picked up an OD green one, second hand from a marketplace. Swapped plastic for a Woodstock set. The buttstock was fairly loose and PTR took the rifle back and made it right. Hands down exceptional customer service. I was never aware of any ongoing issues with PTR but once I made that single acquisition I haven't kept up on whatever's been going on with them.

I also sent my trigger pack out to a fellow that cleaned them up and made them much nicer two-stage. Someone here may recall who that was. I'd have to dig through the database. Not sure he's doing it anymore.

The CETMEs that Century built were absolutely known to be problematic across many years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top