Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2023 7:33:50 PM EDT
I'm building a 257 Roberts on a 47 year-old Remington Long Action, and am wondering if a Pacific Tool and Gauge one-piece bolt is worth it?  The factory Remington bolt looks fine...both lugs bear properly and it was in a 25-06.  I'm using a Remage barrel so headspacing isn't going to be a problem.

Don't need to spend $250 if I don't need to.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about a one piece bolt on any rifle made before the '90's. In my unscientific perusing, the bolt handles popping off seems to be primarily on rifles made after then.

It's it worth the piece of mind? Up to you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Send your existing bolt to Long Rifles Inc in Sturgis, SD and they will tig weld and time the handle onto the bolt.  They can also do any other bolt work like bush firing pins and add extractors, all that stuff.  Plenty of other places can do all these things too, but that's who I've used for any work I wasn't willing to do myself and they are fast and do it right.

Or you can order From PTG and wait maybe 6 or 8 months for your bolt to show up.  I've done that too and don't recomend them to anyone.  PTG does make nice tools/parts, but their customer service is legendary in all the worst ways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top