Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 102
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Collars can be made that leave the back of the can flush with the back of the collar.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I imagine this question or something similar has been asked, but I can only read 101 pages as quick as my eyes let me so here goes.

I’m looking at doing a Gordy-esque build with a spare receiver set I have on hand. I know most people use a 12.5” gov barrel with carbine gas length for the collar. Is it possible to use a 14.5” gov barrel with a mid length gas setup? And if so what barrel manufacturers are typically good to go for fitting the collar without any modification? Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Collars can be made that leave the back of the can flush with the back of the collar.
View Quote

Good to know. I wasn’t sure if there was some kind of minimum length needed behind it.

Maybe the best course of action is to install the 308 barrel back in the rifle, mark where the upper ends and let ADCO cut it to 16” then reverse engineer the correct collar length. With 2.7725ish inches do work with it should be doable, right?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:01:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Good to know. I wasn’t sure if there was some kind of minimum length needed behind it.

Maybe the best course of action is to install the 308 barrel back in the rifle, mark where the upper ends and let ADCO cut it to 16” then reverse engineer the correct collar length. With 2.7725ish inches do work with it should be doable, right?
View Quote

As much as I like OPS, I wouldn’t try to make it what it isn’t and I wouldn’t put it on a gun as backpressure intolerant as a 6.5 SCAR. If I had one of those I’d be waiting for a 7.62 RC3.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone ever seen an M4-S on the secondary market? What did it go for?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]

As much as I like OPS, I wouldn’t try to make it what it isn’t and I wouldn’t put it on a gun as backpressure intolerant as a 6.5 SCAR. If I had one of those I’d be waiting for a 7.62 RC3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mblades:

It’s going on the 7.62 barrel. It will be run suppresses 100% of the time so I have no issue changing out the gas control screw to something optimal.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Here's one from a few years ago.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SchlaffTablett:

https://i.imgur.com/T2FaySV.jpg
View Quote

Clean!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

That looks great.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
I need some inspirational pics now that these Allegheny gas blocks are available
View Quote

New upper courtesy of Allegheny's gas block options @SchlaffTablett.  

Lightweight 12.5" mid-length gas bbl, OPS M4S from back in the day, Allegheny Arms .880"
gas block, SLR 10.25" Ion Ultra Lite rail.  

She is sleek, efficient, lightweight.  This is the lightest AR I own.  With the correct lower (not pictured) the rifle weighs 6 lbs 13 oz ready to work with 30 rd mag, suppressor, optic, and light (no sling).

OPS M4S

Gap is a little small, makes me nervous I'll have some contact under recoil.  Range trip this coming week will tell the tale.  Hopefully it will be ok, but she's TIGHT.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Allegheny Arms folks:

Any chance we'll ever see these tapered gas blocks in .625? Would love to make a build with a Criterion Core
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:12:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger727] [#13]
Never should have stumbled on to this thread lol

Looking for some advice. I currently have a 16 inch Noveske middy and a 13.5 inch Mk4.

If I send that barrel to Adco, get the collar work done, will I be flush fit or what would it take for me to be flush fit? Would I need to cut the barrel down and use one of the AA gas blocks. Sorry if this has been beat to death.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Dagger727:

Looking for some advice. I currently have a 16 inch Noveske middy and a 13.5 inch Mk4.

If I send that barrel to Adco, get the collar work done, will I be flush fit or what would it take for me to be flush fit? Would I need to cut the barrel down and use one of the AA gas blocks. Sorry if this has been beat to death.

Thanks!
View Quote

Why not just send it to Allegheny and have them do it? They probably know what they're doing lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:

Why not just send it to Allegheny and have them do it? They probably know what they're doing lol
View All Quotes

Thanks!

Not opposed to this lol. I just want to know exactly what to ask for.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dblazevich:
Allegheny Arms folks:

Any chance we'll ever see these tapered gas blocks in .625? Would love to make a build with a Criterion Core
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dblazevich:
Allegheny Arms folks:

What the hell? I can get a batch on the board for the next time we run them. Not sure when that's going to be right now but I'll see what I can do.

Not opposed to this lol. I just want to know exactly what to ask for.

So to use our gas block, you'd need a new rail and to have the barrel cut regardless of the mount length (you didn't say which can you had). If you want to use the block on a mid gas, you'll have to get a rail that is not more than 10.375 from the receiver. We'd be happy to help but the rail you have now is a no-go.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

That’s awesome. Build details, if you please?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
Originally Posted By Bringo:
Did someone say mini mk12?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53546934917_e3d9e62f07_c.jpg

That’s awesome. Build details, if you please?

Thanks all. I'm sorry I posted and ghosted. It is the quietest 5.56 setup I have!

- Basic 12.5" BA barrel that Mr. Allen fitted a custom M4 collar to.
- AEM4 suppressor
- PRI TOOB
- Tano milspec upper
- Brown BCM BCG
- Tano Badger CH
- Tano lower with FCD and ALG Defense lower bits
- Geissele Super National Match trigger
- Coyote Sopmod stock
- Taupe SR25 grip
- Blue Force Gear desert digital sling
+Schmidt and Bender 1.5-8x24 ShortDot in a Badger C1 1.54" mount with an Aimpoint T2 in the C1 offset mount

With light and laser it is pretty piggy, but without the extras, it's actually handy. The scope is not nearly as heavy as it looks and it better not be...It was pricey when I bought it 4 years ago; I don't even want to know what it would cost today.

It shoots well enough that I don't want to send Ron another barrel for a custom collar just yet. Unless he just needs more work

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Thanks all. I'm sorry I posted and ghosted. It is the quietest 5.56 setup I have!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52777339353_a13d19e3d4_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52777330180_4f59448035_b.jpg

- AEM4 suppressor
- PRI TOOB
- Tano milspec upper
- Brown BCM BCG
- Tano Badger CH
- Coyote Sopmod stock
- Taupe SR25 grip
+Schmidt and Bender 1.5-8x24 ShortDot in a Badger C1 1.54" mount with an Aimpoint T2 in the C1 offset mount

With light and laser it is pretty piggy, but without the extras, it's actually handy. The scope is not nearly as heavy as it looks and it better not be...It was pricey when I bought it 4 years ago; I don't even want to know what it would cost today.

It shoots well enough that I don't want to send Ron another barrel for a custom collar just yet. Unless he just needs more work

View Quote

I know this isn't GD, but I'm going to say it anyways...

That rifle fucks! Good lord 😍
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#19]

So to use our gas block, you'd need a new rail and to have the barrel cut regardless of the mount length (you didn't say which can you had). If you want to use the block on a mid gas, you'll have to get a rail that is not more than 10.375 from the receiver. We'd be happy to help but the rail you have now is a no-go.
View Quote

I’m purchasing an OCM5 this week. Are there rails that will allow me to go longer with the can fit under? Also, what length will the barrel need to be cut to?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Someone needs to start an OCM5 thread so we don’t have to hear anymore about them in Ron’s thread
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
Someone needs to start an OCM5 thread so we don’t have to hear anymore about them in Ron’s thread
View Quote

Not trying to hijack. I’d get an AEM5 but my local dealer doesn’t have them in stock. I’ll end up with one of those eventually but this is where the journey starts. Regardless, the mounting patterns are the same so this should be a valid forum.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Not trying to hijack. I’d get an AEM5 but my local dealer doesn’t have them in stock. I’ll end up with one of those eventually but this is where the journey starts. Regardless, the mounting patterns are the same so this should be a valid forum.
View Quote

Here
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Here
View Quote

Well that’s cheaper than the OCM5 that I was getting anyway. Thanks for the link. Hopefully my FFL doesn’t gouge me on NFA transfers lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Well that’s cheaper than the OCM5 that I was getting anyway. Thanks for the link. Hopefully my FFL doesn’t gouge me on NFA transfers lol
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Here

That’s the problem I’m finding.  I got an ocm5 for 760ish from silebcershop with no transfer fees.  But every dealer around me charges minimum $100 to transfer any nfa item.  

Also the OCM5 is stupid quiet.  My gun is very heavy so I was glad to save the weight over the aem5.  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52777339353_a13d19e3d4_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52777330180_4f59448035_b.jpg

- AEM4 suppressor
- PRI TOOB
- Tano milspec upper
- Brown BCM BCG
- Tano Badger CH
- Coyote Sopmod stock
- Taupe SR25 grip

LMAO. Thanks @slowkota1 I have toyed around with getting a 16" barrel/AEM5 and turning it into a mod H, but I don't need the extra weight or range capabilities.

(ignore the non AE mini nsw)
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:15:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin] [#28]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

Agreed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

Agreed.

Gee wizz, the horror of it all
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SchlaffTablett] [#29]

I’m purchasing an OCM5 this week. Are there rails that will allow me to go longer with the can fit under? Also, what length will the barrel need to be cut to?

Thanks!
View Quote

There is some variation in the length depending on how it's threaded, the block you use, how the block is mounted, and the individual can but for a mid gas barrel, you'll be at about 13.25" for an "A" mount. Any rail with an ID of over 1 5/8" would allow the can to go under or you can get a slightly shorter rail. Something from Midwest or similar, maybe?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Subpar:
https://i.imgur.com/dmWABUY.jpeg
View Quote

they lord.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SchlaffTablett] [#31]
Originally Posted By TyrannyOfTheMinority:

New upper courtesy of Allegheny's gas block options @SchlaffTablett.  

Lightweight 12.5" mid-length gas bbl, OPS M4S from back in the day, Allegheny Arms .880"
gas block, SLR 10.25" Ion Ultra Lite rail.  

She is sleek, efficient, lightweight.  This is the lightest AR I own.  With the correct lower (not pictured) the rifle weighs 6 lbs 13 oz ready to work with 30 rd mag, suppressor, optic, and light (no sling).

https://i.postimg.cc/52fwx27M/IMG-0854.jpg

OPS M4S
https://i.postimg.cc/bNPhN7Qh/IMG-0863.jpg

Gap is a little small, makes me nervous I'll have some contact under recoil.  Range trip this coming week will tell the tale.  Hopefully it will be ok, but she's TIGHT.

https://i.postimg.cc/pLkKyM45/IMG-0856.jpg
View Quote

Have you shot it at all and was there any rubbing? In my experience, as long as you have about .030 or so, you'll probably have enough room for clearance and from the pics I'd think you were good. Also, is your barrel dimpled? If not, you may be able to cheat the block forward .010 - .020" or so by getting the barrel port at the back end of the hole in the block itself. If that's not an option, you'll just have to hope for the best on the rubbing thing. Regardless, that is an awesome looking build!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Here’s another Allegheny gas block build.

Had a PRI tube on it, but I enjoy the quad life. No one really makes a quad rail that would bump right up to the can, so there’s about 1/3 of the gas block exposed.

BA 12.5” Govt cut to 11.25” by Josh at Allegheny (thanks again). Functions perfectly, albeit a little gassy. Overall this is about the same length as my 14.5 with a surefire 3 prong on the end.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Came out lighter than I thought it would.  Right at 10lbs with the can.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Have you shot it at all and was there any rubbing? In my experience, as long as you have about .030 or so, you'll probably have enough room for clearance and from the pics I'd think you were good. Also, is your barrel dimpled? If not, you may be able to cheat the block forward .010 - .020" or so by getting the barrel port at the back end of the hole in the block itself. If that's not an option, you'll just have to hope for the best on the rubbing thing. Regardless, that is an awesome looking build!
View Quote

Yeah, took it for a test drive yesterday.  My feeler gauge says there’s a .013” gap.  No evidence of contact under recoil or POI issues.  Hooray!

I think about cheating ithe GB forward for a little extra insurance, but the bbl IS dimpled so no go.

The rear block is already not sitting flush against the bbl step (I assume by design to accommodate a variety of bbl specs).  Any concern about the gas block getting pushed backward out of correct position by the can being tightened down against the front taper?   Did you guys do any testing to see if the set screws hold properly against that shearing force?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TyrannyOfTheMinority:

Yeah, took it for a test drive yesterday.  My feeler gauge says there’s a .013” gap.  No evidence of contact under recoil or POI issues.  Hooray!

I think about cheating ithe GB forward for a little extra insurance, but the bbl IS dimpled so no go.

The rear block is already not sitting flush against the bbl step (I assume by design to accommodate a variety of bbl specs).  Any concern about the gas block getting pushed backward out of correct position by the can being tightened down against the front taper?   Did you guys do any testing to see if the set screws hold properly against that shearing force?
View Quote

Well I'm glad to hear you're not getting any contact. If its dimpled already, I don't know you'd be able to move it too much, maybe .010"or so. You'd have to make the adjustment and pin the block without relying on the screws.

The block isn't going to move as long as the screws are set into the bottoms of the dimples squarely. If, and that's a big if, you made it a habit of wrenching your can down with all the ugga-duggas you could muster, I'd imagine you could eventually displace enough material to make the block move. That aside, the only way it would is if the block wasn't installed correctly. To eliminate the possibility, we usually recommend pinning it just for insurance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:50:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#36]
I've been through most of the thread and a bunch of youtubes but I don't remember seeing a photo example of an AEM5-30 on a rifle-length gas / SOPMOD stock 7.62 carbine.

I bought an AEM5-30 online and am waiting the Form 3 transfer between dealers to start the individual Form 4.

I have a 20-inch Armalite AR-10 with a Lothar-Walther barrel.  I want to have it cut down to 17-ish inches so the base of the shoulder, collar, or suppressor butt up against the OEM gas block.  D.wilson doesn't do AE profiling any more, and it's Sunday so I don't know if Steve's new machinist at ADCO does this kind of work.  I e-mailed Allegheny but again it's Sunday.

It should look like an SPR or a short SR-25 -- anyone have a photo of a set-up like this combination?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
I've been through most of the thread and a bunch of youtubes but I don't remember seeing a photo example of an AEM5-30 on a rifle-length gas / SOPMOD stock 7.62 carbine.

I bought an AEM5-30 online and am waiting the Form 3 transfer between dealers to start the individual Form 4.

I have a 20-inch Armalite AR-10 with a Lothar-Walther barrel.  I want to have it cut down to 17-ish inches so the base of the shoulder, collar, or suppressor butt up against the OEM gas block.  D.wilson doesn't do AE profiling any more, and it's Sunday so I don't know if Steve's new machinist at ADCO does this kind of work.  I e-mailed Allegheny but again it's Sunday.

It should look like an SPR or a short SR-25 -- anyone have a photo of a set-up like this combination?
View Quote

Like this...?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

🔥🔥🔥🔥

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

I got this recently. My dealer said this is a pretty good suppressor if I'm into building clones.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes, it was a standard 12th model .30 cal. Problem is the barrel design. Splines and almost no threads, no thread shoulder, and often reverse tapered
between thread and block. I custom fitted 2 for some group back in the day and they had a lot of problems getting them to function both ways.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By bigbore:
Does anyone have an M42 / 3rd model that's relatively new and could tell me what it weighs?   I'm wondering how much weight mine has gained since new. It's over 2lbs now.
View Quote

1 lbs 13.7 oz when it was brand new
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lothbrok] [#46]
Anyone got a line on 3 piece collars for the M4? I was going to buy one for a Gordy clone but I don't want to be stuck with a can I can't mount on anything.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:
Anyone got a line on 3 piece collars for the M4? I was going to buy one for a Gordy clone but I don't want to be stuck with a can I can't mount on anything.
View Quote

In stock.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By k31user:

In stock.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By k31user:

In stock.

https://www.aesuppressors.com/product/3-piece-collar/

Shows out of stock for me? Looked there, Thoroughbred, and Adco.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Ron meant that he has them in stock.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I'll be sending some to ADCO shortly. That will make it easier.
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top