Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OSS RAD 45 Very Loud (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/13/2023 1:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gentleman4561]
I picked up one of the dirt cheap Rad 45s ($350) as I figured at that price it would be worth it.

As expected, the silencer is louder than any of my other pistol cans due to being a "flow-through".

Since the RAD 45 has conventional baffles, along with the "flow" aspect, I was thinking I could TIG weld the vent holes in the end cap to reduce sound and get rid of some of the "Flow" technology that makes the can louder.

Has anyone done this yet? I figure if it works well, one of our Arfcom machinist vendors could just make a replacement cap for those who want it be quieter.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you comparing it to?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Gentleman4561:
I picked up one of the dirt cheap Rad 45s ($350) as I figured at that price it would be worth it.

As expected, the silencer is louder than any of my other pistol cans due to being a "flow-through".

Since the RAD 45 has conventional baffles, along with the "flow" aspect, I was thinking I could TIG weld the vent holes in the end cap to reduce sound and get rid of some of the "Flow" technology that makes the can louder.

Has anyone done this yet? I figure if it works well, one of our Arfcom machinist vendors could just make a replacement cap for those who want it be quieter.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/211636/IMG_7251_JPG-3026353.JPG
View Quote

I would look for a different end cap before welding anything.

I have a rad45 still in jail. I have a rad9 currently and like it more than my other 45 cans on my 9mm guns.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

I don't know what the guts of a Rad 45 look like, but welding up or replacing the front cap wouldn't make much difference unless the "flow through" features are essentially coaxial veins that completely bypass the baffles, have a more-or-less straight shot through to the front, which I doubt they do.  A conventional core design will have little or no performance difference with vs. without a front cap.

If you're able to remove them and post pictures, I can better advise.
View Quote

There is an annulus between the baffles and tubes, and the baffles have helical ribs extending into the annulus to re-direct the flow to some degree. The vents on the end cap are in communication with the annulus.

I use mine on my USP 9 Tactical, and it has sounded pretty good to me so far.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Peachy beat me to it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaFish] [#10]
Originally Posted By peachy:
View Quote

I'd like to know too.   I have one sitting in jail.  Couldn't pass it up for the price.

OP,  you could contact Huxwrx and see if they will sell you another end cap.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve always felt .45 acp was kind of a disappointing round to suppress. I always expected it to be great bc subsonic, but it just doesn’t sound that good to me, in my experiences with a variety of platforms. It’s not terrible, but I don’t love it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dillhole:
I’ve always felt .45 acp was kind of a disappointing round to suppress. I always expected it to be great bc subsonic, but it just doesn’t sound that good to me, in my experiences with a variety of platforms. It’s not terrible, but I don’t love it.
View Quote

Meh using .45 auto in a .45 can has been pretty great in the couple I have. Shooting say most 9mm loads through a .45 can is notably louder.

I only have an Obsidian and Omega and wolfman to compete in the pistol realm. That and I’m talking PCC not pistol

Out of curiosity OP what are you shooting?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gentleman4561] [#13]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

I don't know what the guts of a Rad 45 look like, but welding up or replacing the front cap wouldn't make much difference unless the "flow through" features are essentially coaxial veins that completely bypass the baffles, have a more-or-less straight shot through to the front, which I doubt they do.  A conventional core design will have little or no performance difference with vs. without a front cap.

If you're able to remove them and post pictures, I can better advise.
View Quote
They are, essentially when you fire the gun some gas is re-directed around the exterior of the baffles to the vent holes on the front of the can rather than passing through the traditional baffle stack.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here you can see vents in the blast chamber that allow gas to travel up the sides of the tube to the vents.

I wonder if a "shield" of sorts could go in there around the Nielsen device to keep gas from entering the sides of the baffle stack.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Shot it on my 1911 next to my Obsidian and Tirant.

Didn't try it on 9mm yet, but the FRP is very bad and it's all around louder than the other 2.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#15]

The 2nd to last baffle

Attachment Attached File

Here is a photo of the last baffle and the end cap.

Attachment Attached File

Definitely seems like if that gap could be eliminated it would force gas back into the silencer vs out the vent holes.

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gentleman4561] [#16]
Originally Posted By Green0:
The MK9K has a big coaxial space and I don't think it is flow through.  It would seem logical that sealing it in front would be sort of like making it into a MK9K style of can, which is to say a quiet can, so maybe that would work.

I wonder if RTV silicone around the smooth diameter of the last baffle could perhaps be shootable "sealed" once dry to see how different it might sound?  You could probably pam cooking spray the front cap ID as a sort of "release compound" and maybe tape the ports shut so they don't become physically bonded.

Maybe an O-ring would fit in the end there if the geometry was agreeable.
View Quote
I just did this, already had the RTV out treating a charging handle, so we shall see how it sounds after 24 hours of curing.

I basically coated the exterior of the 2nd to last baffle so it should be "sealing" off the endcap.

Photo of the "sealed" last baffle.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Green0:
It will be interesting to see if you perceive a drop in sound associated with stopping the blow-by.
View Quote
Yep, I plan to let it cure the full 24 hours then try shooting it again tomorrow.

I have a iPhone video of the "before" and will record an after, but well know phone mics aren't the best for that.

To derail, Cole got me hooked up with one of the Polish SF cans, I am excited to get to blasting with that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Shot it on my 1911 next to my Obsidian and Tirant.

Didn't try it on 9mm yet, but the FRP is very bad and it's all around louder than the other 2.
View Quote

Any perceived difference in blowback? I think that's supposed to be the tradeoff.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Any perceived difference in blowback? I think that's supposed to be the tradeoff.
View Quote
None at all, but I have never really experienced blowback issues with pistols anyway.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Loudest pistol can I've ever shot....
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By CSGroup:
Loudest pistol can I've ever shot....
View Quote
Yeah, I see why they had to mark them down to $350 to get them sold haha

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#23]
That’s disappointing.  Mine just got out recently but haven’t had a chance to try it out yet.  I got it at a discount but not as low as $350.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Just out of curiosity, anyone have the RAD 9, and if so, how does it compare to other 9mm suppressors?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:44:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gentleman4561] [#25]
Tested it today after sealing, it is still louder than the Tirant (that is all I compared to today) but sealing the last baffle/end cap definitely seemed to help.

This is of course going off my hearing, not scientific equipment. Sealing the end of the can also cut down the FRP significantly.

iMovie also showed less peaking in the audio with the sealed can, but thats based off an iPhone mic and could certainly change just by the angle I held the phone.

I think next I will see if i can seal the exterior of the baffles from the blast chamber to force all gas through the traditional baffles.

OSS/Hux Rad 45 before and after sealing

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Just out of curiosity, anyone have the RAD 9, and if so, how does it compare to other 9mm suppressors?
View Quote
I don't, if it uses the same baffle system as the 45 I would expect similar or perhaps even worse performance if shooting super sonic 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't, if it uses the same baffle system as the 45 I would expect similar or perhaps even worse performance if shooting super sonic 9mm.
View Quote

I'm mostly curious because Pew's muzzle data for the Cash 9 (which seemingly is identical to the short Rad 9) is nearly identical to Pew's muzzle data for the short TiRant 9M-HD. The Cash 9 is 144.5db, and the short TiRant is 144.3db, each measured 1m left of muzzle. The Cash 9/Rad 9 is also a little bit shorter than the short TiRant 9M-HD (5.15" vs 5.8").

Based on that, I had assumed that the full-size Rad 9 probably would perform comparably to many other full-size 9mm cans. Too bad Pew didn't test the Rad 9, instead of the Cash 9.

I haven't been able to find much other testing of the Rad series beyond Pew's datapoint.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm mostly curious because Pew's muzzle data for the Cash 9 (which seemingly is identical to the short Rad 9) is nearly identical to Pew's muzzle data for the short TiRant 9M-HD. The Cash 9 is 144.5db, and the short TiRant is 144.3db, each measured 1m left of muzzle. The Cash 9/Rad 9 is also a little bit shorter than the short TiRant 9M-HD (5.15" vs 5.8").

Based on that, I had assumed that the full-size Rad 9 probably would perform comparably to many other full-size 9mm cans. Too bad Pew didn't test the Rad 9, instead of the Cash 9.

I haven't been able to find much other testing of the Rad series beyond Pew's datapoint.
View Quote
Gotcha, I am comparing these to old Kevin B Tirants too, not the newer ones.

I do think our ears all interpret sound differently, I think PS is a good source to look at for figuring out how much damage you might do to your ears, but my experience has been that the ratings often don't match up to what our ears think is the "quietest".
  I see you are in GA, if you ever want to get together and shoot some cans we could do it.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ve mostly shot my Rad 9 in short on my MP5’s.  It sounds really good as long as it’s direct threaded.   Using 3 lug made it noticeably louder.  

Shot it with 38 Specials through my Henry X along with an Obsidian 9, Mod 9 and Octane 9 and really couldn’t tell a difference that I recall.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By arndog123:
I’ve mostly shot my Rad 9 in short on my MP5’s.  It sounds really good as long as it’s direct threaded.   Using 3 lug made it noticeably louder.
View Quote

Does the 3 lug vs DT sound difference apply to your other cans like the Obsidian 9 (long)?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Are any of these flow through cans quiet at all?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#32]
Tested it today after sealing, it is still louder than the Tirant (that is all I compared to today) but sealing the last baffle/end cap definitely seemed to help.

This is of course going off my hearing, not scientific equipment. Sealing the end of the can also cut down the FRP significantly.

iMovie also showed less peaking in the audio with the sealed can, but thats based off an iPhone mic and could certainly change just by the angle I held the phone.

I think next I will see if i can seal the exterior of the baffles from the blast chamber to force all gas through the traditional baffles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgIkiD3-kOA
View Quote

Def better but man that tone is not very good ... could be the mic ...
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Shot it with 38 Specials through my Henry X along with an Obsidian 9, Mod 9 and Octane 9 and really couldn’t tell a difference that I recall.
View Quote

That is because 3-lugs leak
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By emccracken:

Does the 3 lug vs DT sound difference apply to your other cans like the Obsidian 9 (long)?
View Quote

For the most part.  To my ears it’s more noticeable on the Rad 9.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Gotcha, I am comparing these to old Kevin B Tirants too, not the newer ones.

I do think our ears all interpret sound differently, I think PS is a good source to look at for figuring out how much damage you might do to your ears, but my experience has been that the ratings often don't match up to what our ears think is the "quietest".
  I see you are in GA, if you ever want to get together and shoot some cans we could do it.

View Quote

Yeah, I mostly ignore the ratings, particularly if it is an application where I’ll already be wearing hearing protection. I appreciate the offer to meet up. I’m swamped through the holidays but may take you up on it thereafter to see how much better the Obsidian and TiRant sound. Not sure if I’ll live with what I’ve got or chase improvement.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
Are any of these flow through cans quiet at all?
View Quote

I’ve noticed that my perception of how a flow through rifle can sounds is much more heavily influenced by whether there is any reflective structure nearby. Makes sense given that more noise/gas is going out the end. If there is a nearby wall or berm, that noise comes back to you.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
My experience has always been that DT is quieter.

But, I run a Obsidian 9 in 3 lug on a full auto MP5 and it still sounds pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

That is because 3-lugs leak
View Quote

They also take up a lot of blast chamber volume.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Shot mine with a SAR K2 45C, using a Griffin Cam-Lok direct thread adapter. Using 185gr loads (Bullseye powder, near 1000 fps), it cycled fine but just dribbled out. Will have to try it with 230gr loads but I am happy with that.

I was using a direct thread mount but is sounded good to me, no blowback either. Will have to compare it to the other cans I have.

Didn't try it in short mode.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I just got my RAD45 out of jail.

Only can I have to test it against in .45 ACP is a Rex Silentium MG7.  Which is a short 5.5" K can, however if my math is right has pretty close to the same internal volume as the RAD45 due to it's larger diameter.  The RAD45 was much quieter than the MG7, and I was shooting on a covered outdoor range with a slanted roof in front of me to bounce sound back.

I switched the RAD45 over to a tri lug mount and tested it back to back with my YHM R9 and my sons Wolfman.  I couldn't tell a difference on supersonics but my son thought his Wolfman was quieter from his position along side of me.   Both the RAD45 and Wolfman were noticeably quieter than the R9.  Subsonics all three sounded about the same to my, but my son said the Wolfman and RAD45 were quieter than the R9 with a slight nod to his Wolfman as the quietest.

Would love to find someone nearby that has other .45 ACP suppressors to compare side by side with the R45.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Took my new Henry X 44 mag out yesterday and brought along my Rad 45, Obsidian 45 and Omega 45K.  I was shooting 44 specials and the Obsidian was the quietest.  It was hard to tell a difference between the other two.  The Rad 45 might’ve been a hair quieter.  

I brought along my Beretta M9A4 to test blowback.  This gun throws a lot of crap back at you when suppressed.   From what I’ve been told running w/o a booster should alleviate this problem which is why I have a an Ecco TLX 9 in jail.  The Obsidian 45 and Omega had minor blowback but I didn’t feel anything with the Rad 45.   Wish I would’ve brought my Rad 9 along for comparison.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Took my new Henry X 44 mag out yesterday and brought along my Rad 45, Obsidian 45 and Omega 45K.  I was shooting 44 specials and the Obsidian was the quietest.  It was hard to tell a difference between the other two.  The Rad 45 might’ve been a hair quieter.  

I brought along my Beretta M9A4 to test blowback.  This gun throws a lot of crap back at you when suppressed.   From what I’ve been told running w/o a booster should alleviate this problem which is why I have a an Ecco TLX 9 in jail.  The Obsidian 45 and Omega had minor blowback but I didn’t feel anything with the Rad 45.   Wish I would’ve brought my Rad 9 along for comparison.  
https://i.ibb.co/JvhQyc1/IMG-0589.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the range report!
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#44]

https://i.ibb.co/JvhQyc1/IMG-0589.jpg
View Quote

How did the three cans rank on the Beretta?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#45]

How did the three cans rank on the Beretta?
View Quote

Obsidian was the quietest followed by the Rad45 and finally the Omega 45K.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#46]
So it seems the reviews are mixed in regards to the RAD 45. Some like it, some don't like it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
So it seems the reviews are mixed in regards to the RAD 45. Some like it, some don't like it.
View Quote

I don’t know if it transfers over to the flow-through pistol suppressors, but in my experience with various flow-through/LBP rifle suppressors, the shooter experience/perception can vary a lot based on the environment you are shooting in and whether there are reflective surfaces around to bounce sound back at you. Shooting in a wide-open field may sound different than shooting at a close-up berm.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

To be fair, those of us who like it, don't have anything better to compare it to.

I thought my Rex MG7 .458 sounded pretty good on my Glock 21 until I shot the RAD45.

I'd like to shoot my RAD45 alongside an Obsidian.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Just from posts on here, reddit, Youtube videos and elsewhere, it rally is the two extremes. On one hand I read reviews from owners that really like their RAD45. Then on the other extreme you have owners stating that it is very underwhelming and are disappointed with it.

I have never shot one, so hard to know. I have been considering one and the more negative reviews have made me question.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Just from posts on here, reddit, Youtube videos and elsewhere, it rally is the two extremes. On one hand I read reviews from owners that really like their RAD45. Then on the other extreme you have owners stating that it is very underwhelming and are disappointed with it.

I have never shot one, so hard to know. I have been considering one and the more negative reviews have made me question.
View Quote

I didn't hear a bad review of them, and that was this thread, until after I had purchased mine and filed a form 4, so I was pretty much stuck with it.  I ordered it through EV and for the price I paid I'm very happy with it.   But again, my .45 suppressor experience is very limited. So, maybe ignorance is bliss.  Or maybe there is some weird quality problem with the RAD45 that makes some of them very noisy.

It's shame there isn't some place we can go to test suppressors side by side and make our choices.  If you are anywhere near Northern Virginia I'd be happy to meet you at a range to hear it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
OSS RAD 45 Very Loud (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top