Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/28/2023 2:55:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG]
I was trying to buy a couple OKCs for my collection and noticed they were going out of stock everywhere. Found out they're closing. They sold, but so far they say they're closing and laying off all employees.
https://www.nothingbutknives.com/news/ontario-knife-company-has-been-sold-and-set-to-shut-down-soon/#:~:text=Come%20July%2027%2C%20the%20Ontario,the%20OKC%20legacy%20in%20question
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:12:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Well that sucks. I was hoping to grab a couple more up.

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#2]
That sucks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#3]
moving to china?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Weird

One of their reps was in the store this week and didn't mention this at all
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Any going out of biz deals to be had?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MidMichHunter:
View Quote

Per the website a few moments ago...

Thank you for visiting our website. We are currently in a
transition and not accepting orders.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. You can still place orders
with your local or online stores.

We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. Please check
back soon for updates.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 12:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#7]
Originally Posted By pogmothoin:
moving to china?
View Quote

Looks like they sold to Blue Ridge Knives. This is the company that owns Bark River and Blackjack, so very unlikely they will move production outside the US.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Well that sucks. I was hoping to grab a couple more up.

https://i.ibb.co/fYFbJyb/E1-A6-D7-D0-512-D-42-F2-8858-DA15229-CB28-A.jpg
View Quote

Is that a SP10 that you put a custom grip on?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Another NY business bites the dust.  They made respectable gear.  Too bad that area has not many places to work.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
It's been well known for awhile that the owners have run the company into the ground!

Being made in China, Taiwan... would probably be better than what they've been putting out in the last couple of years.

Hopefully the new owners will keep producing it in the USA.

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:47:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG] [#11]
Originally Posted By Mk-211:
It's been well known for awhile that the owners have run the company into the ground!

Being made in China, Taiwan... would probably be better than what they've been putting out in the last couple of years.

Hopefully the new owners will keep producing it in the USA.

View Quote

I've been buying the spec plus line and thought they were great. The SP10 became my favorite knife. I figured if I ever go on Naked and Afraid I'd take the SP10.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MidMichHunter:
View Quote

Prices are doubling and out of stock at most retailers. All the Spec Plus series I can find are on eBay for double what I paid last year.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Looks like they sold to Blue Ridge Knives. This is the company that owns Bark River and Blackjack, so very unlikely they will move production outside the US.
View Quote

Why would they be laying off all employees and giving severance packages then?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AASG:

Prices are doubling and out of stock at most retailers. All the Spec Plus series I can find are on eBay for double what I paid last year.
View Quote

ooooh....

*neckbearding urge intensifies*
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Moving out of New York is profitable. But who knows. Nothing released yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:04:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#16]

View Quote

What I read elsewhere was that Blue Ridge was buying whatever stock was on hand and presumably the IP rights.

"Blue Ridge Knives, Inc. is a wholesale distributor of pocket knives, hunting knives, tactical knives, survival knives, collectible knives, swords, and cutlery memorabilia. They offer a vast catalog, online shopping, and knowledgeable customer service, making them a reliable and dependable business partner for businesses looking for wholesale knives and outdoor related accessories."

From another site:

"Ontario Knife Co. Parent Looks For Options For USA Heritage Brand
Posted by SGB Media | Mar 30, 2023 | Outdoor, SGB Updates, Sportsmans, Update

The Servotronics, Inc. Board of Directors authorized the review of strategic alternatives for the Consumer Products Group (CPG) with the goal of enhancing shareholder value.

The Group consists of the Ontario Knife Company, a USA Heritage Brand that traces its origins to 1889, that currently markets knives and tools for tactical, outdoor and home use. In 2022, CPG generated revenues of approximately $8.6 million.

“I want to start by acknowledging the incredible employees of the Ontario Knife Company and their tremendous efforts. We continue to believe that the business is set to grow and maintains high-quality brand recognition in the market,” said William F. Farrell Jr., CEO of Servotronics. “We are taking actions that are in line with our recently announced long-term strategy, and that centers around our core markets in the aerospace industry. The Ontario Knife Company will be a prime business addition to an organization that is more significantly invested in OKC’s primary markets.”

Servotronics engaged Paramax Corporation as its financial advisor to evaluate potential alternatives. The company noted that there could be no assurance that its Board’s review process would result in any transaction or other alternative. There is no set timetable for the strategic review process, and Servotronics does not intend to provide updates until the Board approves a specific action."

That was March, the employees tried to buy it or something but failed so here we are now.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
It's funny there's a used SP10 marine raider bowie on eBay at auction right now. It's at $158 with 30 bids and $17 shipping. These were like $55 last week.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I just found out about this and found a Ontario Knife 8180 498 Marine Combat Knife (Black) on Amazon for about $70.00.

Sad news. If I win the Mega Millions tonight I will buy it and move it to South Dakota, a free state.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Oops missed this. Yep, SP10 rehandled by our very own @80sgyrene .
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
Another NY business bites the dust.  They made respectable gear.  Too bad that area has not many places to work.
View Quote
Don't worry the cheese plant will save us.  Lol.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#21]
That sucks... I love my OKC Jet Pilot SK and M3 Trench.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar556223] [#22]
Yeah, I use their 22" machetes at work, ordered a few a week or so ago when this first posted on ARFCOM.
I havent noticed a decline in the quality of the machetes, but havent tried any of their other blades.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Terrible…… they made great blades. Their 5160 heat treat was exceptional, especially for the price.
I have an SP48 and a Bushcraft Woodsman with custom handles, some of my favorite knives to modify.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 3:11:20 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It looks awesome. I'd try to put a custom grip on mine, but now that they are irreplaceable I'll keep it original. The SP10 is my favorite knife.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#25]
There's a local store near me that carried some OKC knives. I bought a SP2 for $39.99 last week. This week they had them marked down to $18.97 so I got a second one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 6:28:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG] [#26]
Originally Posted By 80sgyrene:
Terrible…… they made great blades. Their 5160 heat treat was exceptional, especially for the price.
I have an SP48 and a Bushcraft Woodsman with custom handles, some of my favorite knives to modify.
View Quote

@80sgyrene do you have a picture of what the tang looks like on a SP10 with the grip removed? I'd like to make a custom trench knife/bayonet out of one. I bought a piece of brass flat stock, brass spikes and a m7 pommel years ago so I could make a bowie bayonet with a spiked brass D guard. I never could find a blade I liked though, but the SP10 would be perfect.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80sgyrene] [#27]
@AASG
If I can be of any help, lmk.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#28]

@80sgyrene thank you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#29]

That's way cool! I may try that myself. The knife is amazing but a little too big for my normal uses, but the wife is even more of a knife freak than I am and had to have one, picked it up probably a dozen years ago for like 40 bucks.

Problem is, she has an anaphylactic allergy to latex, extremely sensitive, and the grip material they use has just enough of it to cause a reaction. So I taped it up with some camo cloth tape and used resin over that to seal it, doesn't look bad and works fine, but seeing those pics and the pic of the finished one just look so amazing I want to try it now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#30]

YOU POSTED PICTURES OF MY BELOVED NAKED?

By the way, you still have the same phone number? Think I have a project in mind.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#31]

YOU POSTED PICTURES OF MY BELOVED NAKED?

By the way, you still have the same phone number? Think I have a project in mind.
View Quote

Lol, yep same number. Shoot me a text or call.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Again?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm seeing a few models on Amazon still.  Just FYI.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottr] [#34]
I see that they're going to be at shot show

Web site says they are 'in a transition'

Not sure what pronouns they're going with yet

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#35]
They just launched a new wood handle RAT model and it’s in stock a bunch of places.

It looks like they were going under. The company that owned them wouldn’t sell the factory and put the land up for sale. The name and intellectual property was sold for $2.1 million.

I just wonder if it’s repurposed old stock or if they have a new factory in the works.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I just bought a M3 Trench knife and it looks like they may be scraping the bottom of the barrel.  It was trash, crooked from pommel to tip, uneven grind.  I so wanted it to be good, but sadly, I had to return it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cognoscenti] [#37]
"Looks like they sold to Blue Ridge Knives. This is the company that owns Bark River and Blackjack, so very unlikely they will move production outside the US."

...forget about the good old Ontario Company.

its like the good old SOG company sold to GSM outdoors...   Quality in production will never be the same.

I still have my old Ontario Marine Raider SP10 made of 1095 Steel with Open Nylon/Leather sheath bought more than 15 years ago if not 20 i cannot remember and i will NEVER sell it.

The good old days are sadly terminated folks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Well that stinks. I have an aircrew survival knife from them and it's a solid item.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#39]
now a collector item my man !
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh man.

Thanks for the thread.

I ordered some Old Hickory knives.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Just checked ebay yesterday, and there's still a ton of OKC blades for sale, and not really much crazy pricing either except for some of the more desirable hard-to-find blades.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Just checked ebay yesterday, and there's still a ton of OKC blades for sale, and not really much crazy pricing either except for some of the more desirable hard-to-find blades.
View Quote

I’ve been watching for another SP10 but they’re all getting bid up to $200+.

Don’t know what you got til it’s gone.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#43]
That's too bad.  Their Old Hickory Hunting knife was a very solid buy at around $25.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:03:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bnielsonak47] [#44]
my bad.... not GD
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top