Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2023 8:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Teddydog]
Just received this today and I'd like to get some overall opinions.  I don't think there is any doubt about it being real, but I am wondering if any experts see things that have been "messed with" over the past 161 years.

Springfield Model 1861 Rifle (or Rifle Musket), dated 1862.

The rear of the barrel has the V P "Eagle" viewing mark and very faint "62" on top.  The "18" that should be there just isn't visible with the "6" being almost gone and the "2" easily seen.  Thus it appears the barrel and lock match.

The stock is solid and I have not seen any cracks.  However, it may have been sanded long ago as there are no signs of cartouches on the left flat or behind the trigger guard.  Both sides of the butt have some "custom initials" carved, also apparently long ago.  I say the stock may have been altered long ago because it has that very "old finish" vibe of US military weapons.

The lock is very strong in both half- and full-cock.  The nipple cone is broken off flush with the square section and as is usual there is quite a bit of old pitting around the nipple, bolster and rear of the barrel from corrosive residue.

The bore is mostly an unknown as of now, though it is rusty at the bore and swallows a Minie ball.  My drop-light batteries are dead, but replacements are due today.

Anything helpful would be, um, helpful?  Also a referral to any other sites with lots of knowledge about these old Civil War guns would be appreciated.  There are a lot of them and I don't know which one or ones would be best for info on original small arms.

Here are the pics I could get tonight...  The light in my office sucks except with full sunlight to bounce off the blinds.

Thanks for looking!

rob
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 8:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#1]
Looks a lot like my 1842.  The bore is thick, probably fine to shoot with lighter loads once cleaned up if no deep rust pockets.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!  I shot a buddy's 1860s Harper's ferry, it was a lot of fun
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I got new batteries for my drop-in bore light and it looks really good!  It is hard to get good bore pics, but here is one showing a section in focus.  The entire bore looks like this with just a couple of places like shown with some roughness, but overall looking quite good I think.

Looks shootable to me!

Rob
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Teddydog, Cool find. The barrel appears authentic. It if were mine (wish it was lol) I would yank the barrel and prop it up in a corner, breech down in a paint can with enough kroil to soak the nipple and clean-out screw for a week. Then try to remove the remnant of the nipple with an EZ-Out. Then try to get the clean-out screw out.  Once you got those out, and the fire channel cleaned and de-rusted, you can go at the bore with kerosene and scotch brite - watch Mike Beliveau's video here: LINK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top