Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2024 9:59:25 PM EDT
The LGS finally got in another AP5. End price was cheaper than what it would've cost through Atlantic, and this one came with the rail, flash hider, etc. I thought I did a pretty thorough inspection of the gun, but I wasn't able to figure out how to get the flash hider off at the store. Welp, got it off at home and immediately notice that the bore is not centered. I was planning on using this for a suppresser host, and an off-center bore seems fucked to me.

Also noticed that the paddle release for the mag has a bit of play before it engages the mag catch. My Ap5p doesn't have any play. Normal? Didn't notice it because the mags are always stored in the box and not out on the floor. The MKE mag that it came with is junk too, the follower is stuck pretty good about 1/2" too low.

Play in paddle release: https://imgur.com/a/8phoBgF

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW - they have to be blind to let that one out of the factory yikes
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Must have used a Dremel to cut the crown on the barrel  

Hope you get taken care of in a timely fashion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The play in the paddle mag release is normal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My new AP5 from Atlantic (new about 2 months ago now) came with the following issues:

1) The thread protector was so stripped out it would slip off the muzzle without needing to "unthread it".  Fortunately, the muzzle threads are good.
2) The trigger would not reset.  It would stick to the rear position and eventually "pop forward" or not.
3) During ejection it would periodically not eject and would end up with a funky jam where a spent casing would get stuck in the top of the magazine.  Good stuff there.

Century eventually authorized the return, but here's the rub ...

A) You have to pay shipping to them. Its a handgun so you'll be out $70+ to overnight it through a commercial carrier (unless you're an FFL you can't ship handguns through USPS).
B) Century won't send it back to you. They'll send it to your FFL so you'll be out another transfer fee.

In the end, I just bought new parts online and fixed the gun myself.  Works 100% now, but I'm ready to sell the thing. I swore off Century products back when they first started importing SAR-1s (2001?).  The lure of a cheap MP5 was too great and now I have a gun I'm ready to sell at a loss to be free of.

My recommendation: fight Century on the shipping. You're going to lose, but at least you'll feel better about getting screwed by the pimps of the gun world.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SnprPSG1:
Must have used a Dremel to cut the crown on the barrel  

Hope you get taken care of in a timely fashion.
View Quote

OP, I wouldn't use a long suppressor.  The threads and bore axis look so far off concentric that you might get an end baffle strike.  Nothing says "Century is awesome" like blowing the end out of your Form 4 can with their monkey assembled gat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:17:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#6]
Originally Posted By Redshift556:
The MKE mag that it came with is junk too, the follower is stuck pretty good about 1/2" too low.

View Quote

One of the 12 MKE mags I bought had the same issue you're describing albeit about 2" down. I wrapped steel wool on a screw driver handle and "lapped" the inside of the mag body.  It fixed the problem completely.

They don't tell the consumer when you buy a Century product it comes with a lifetime of learning opportunities.  You learn tolerance, patience, and how to fix other people's junk.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

B) Century won't send it back to you. They'll send it to your FFL so you'll be out another transfer fee.
View Quote

If they repair it, & send back your original gun then it’ll be the same serial number, & you’ve already filled out a 4473 on it, so there won’t be another transfer fee. But if they send a replacement gun with a different serial number, then you could have to pay another transfer fee GARY
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
That sucks op.
Posts like this make me glad I was able to buy a HK
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
@GaryT1776

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'll see what they say about return shipping, having to pay a transfer fee irritates me, but the idea of paying $70+ to ship it back to them makes me livid. I found a thread on reddit where a guy had an AP5 replaced a few weeks ago and doesn't mention having to pay shipping. I'll message him and see. In the same reddit thread another guy claims that he asked Century for a extra mag to compensate him for the transfer fee and Century sent an extra.

Fucking up my can is one of my biggest concerns, plus then having to waste a precious vacation day to sit at home waiting for my repaired can to be delivered.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]

One of the 12 MKE mags I bought had the same issue you're describing albeit about 2" down. I wrapped steel wool on a screw driver handle and "lapped" the inside of the mag body.  It fixed the problem completely.

They don't tell the consumer when you buy a Century product it comes with a lifetime of learning opportunities.  You learn tolerance, patience, and how to fix other people's junk.
View Quote

Its not a Century product.  Its an MKE product.  Century gets all the fucks for shitty CS but they dont lay a finger on the guns before they hit the market.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#11]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:

Century gets all the fucks for shitty CS but they dont lay a finger on the guns before they hit the market.
View Quote

That's the problem...even a cursory inspection by Century before they leave their warehouse could head off a lot of these ending up in the hands of consumers. Of course, having owned guns they've manufactured and let out the door with obvious defects, they may have actually looked these over (insert cross-eyed "Looks Good To Me!" meme).
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kwb377:

That's the problem...even a cursory inspection by Century before they leave their warehouse could head off a lot of these ending up in the hands of consumers. Of course, having owned guns they've manufactured and let out the door with obvious defects, they may have actually looked these over (insert cross-eyed "Looks Good To Me!" meme).
View Quote

Agreed.  Century very clearly will let their customers do the QC for them.

Point still stands though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Redshift556] [#13]
Update, Century paid all shipping, but had me take it back to the lgs to have them ship it back. They said they'd send a replacement just from the photo I sent during the RMA process. Took about three weeks for the new one to arrive at my lgs.

The new ap5 is gtg. Already got her broken in and form 1 is pending.

A few observations, the one I had issues with was a 2023 built one and the bolt had a much higher quality look to it as well as a copper extractor spring instead of the usual steel. Just thought that was odd, almost like the bolt was made by someone other than mke.

The "new" replacement they sent is an unremarkable, but nice 2022 build.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Redshift556:
Update, Century paid all shipping, but had me take it back to the lgs to have them ship it back. They said they'd send a replacement just from the photo I sent during the RMA process. Took about three weeks for the new one to arrive at my lgs.

The new ap5 is gtg. Already got her broken in and form 1 is pending.

A few observations, the one I had issues with was a 2023 built one and the bolt had a much higher quality look to it as well as a copper extractor spring instead of the usual steel. Just thought that was odd, almost like the bolt was made by someone other than mke.

The "new" replacement they sent is an unremarkable, but nice 2022 build.
View Quote

Congrats! Sounds like Century is taking care of business well.

My AP5-P and AP5 are both 2022 builds. Both eat everything I've tried from 115 to 150. Balls, Flat Nose, and Hollow Points.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:35:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#15]
I gained a great deal of experience with Century when I built FALs way back in the day.  I learned that anything Century actually built from a parts kit needed to be either avoided or purchased with the understanding you’d have to fix some issues.

However, to be fair, the stuff they just import from someone else is usually no better or worse than the same firearm someone else imports from the same manufacturer.

——

My MKE AP5 is century branded and was also made in 2022.  I think I bought it about right.  The prices were lower than they were initially but significantly more expensive than they fell.  Unfortunately, I think quality also fell off with the later lower prices.

For any suppressor you want a little more clearance with a tri lug attachment.  Keep in mind HK developed the tri lug system for flash hiders, blank firing adapters and grenade launchers, not suppressors.  

I opted for an Omega 45K rather than the Omega 9K in part because a little more clearance don’t sound like a bad thing with a tri lug attachment and, no desire to have a baffle strike.

—-

I have the two MKE magazines that came with it, but primarily use the 5 HK mags I bought afterwards.  The MKE mags are prone to a last round failure to feed.  It started out as an every time issue, but has improved with use to an occasional failure with FMJ rounds. With hollow points it’s still an almost every time occurrence.  With the HK mags it eats everything reliably.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Whelp this post made me check my new ap5 and I got the same barrel issue is yours.  Only problem is that I've already filed the form 1 and a couple of weeks in.  Guess ill cancel and send this shit back to century.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redshift556] [#17]
Originally Posted By apocalypserisin:
Whelp this post made me check my new ap5 and I got the same barrel issue is yours.  Only problem is that I've already filed the form 1 and a couple of weeks in.  Guess ill cancel and send this shit back to century.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sorry to hear that, I'd withdraw that Form 1 quick. I've already SBR'd my replacement AP5 and I got an approval in 3.5 days.

I hope they take care of you too, let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
For any suppressor you want a little more clearance with a tri lug attachment.  Keep in mind HK developed the tri lug system for flash hiders, blank firing adapters and grenade launchers, not suppressors.  

I opted for an Omega 45K rather than the Omega 9K in part because a little more clearance don’t sound like a bad thing with a tri lug attachment and, no desire to have a baffle strike.

—-

I have the two MKE magazines that came with it, but primarily use the 5 HK mags I bought afterwards.  The MKE mags are prone to a last round failure to feed.  It started out as an every time issue, but has improved with use to an occasional failure with FMJ rounds. With hollow points it’s still an almost every time occurrence.  With the HK mags it eats everything reliably.

I've been using the GSL smooth thread protector with my R9/Tri lug. It helps take some of the inherent wobble out of the system since the OD of the GSL thread protectors are a little bigger than the knurled ones. Funny enough though I saw a guy at the range running a K clone suppressed, and when he took the can off there was no thread protector at all. Just gobs of carbon buildup. Zero baffle strikes over thousands of rounds through his 9mm can.

My MKE mags don't like flat nose/hollow point on the last two rounds either, but strange that yours has issues with FMJ too. HK mags are 100% though, I need to buy more.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

And now I have to wait till I get home to check mine out as well. Glad that I haven't submitted the Form 1, yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
WOW - they have to be blind not give a F to let that one out of the factory yikes
View Quote

Edited
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

You too can be a Century Monkey grade armorer level 4 dremmel and bench grinder operator.

I own a FAL they put out, hand ground down recycled locking shoulder that would walk out of the receiver.  Who needs a locking shoulder? Not to mention they’re coil trigger return springs that came out of a Nissan front end.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#21]
sadly mine broke as soon as i got it home and stripped for cleaning. first pin i pulled out and this happened

i emailed atlantic sunday and they got back to me monday saying they would contact century. anyone have any ideas how long this takes? im anxious to get it replaced/fixed so i can break it in and form 1 it
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone know if Atlantic and or century is active here?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By weapons_free: i emailed atlantic sunday and they got back to me monday saying they would contact century.
View Quote

With their reputation and my personal experience with them, I'm surprised they're not replacing it and dealing with Century on their end.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

With their reputation and my personal experience with them, I'm surprised they're not replacing it and dealing with Century on their end.
View Quote

that would be much better for me, guess we'll see what happens
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
This sort of thing is why I am extremely reluctant to deal with Century instead of waiting for the SDS-imported MAC-5. Everyone I know personally who bought something from Century got a non-functional gun until Century's CS sent them replacement/missing parts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
This sort of thing is why I am extremely reluctant to deal with Century instead of waiting for the SDS-imported MAC-5. Everyone I know personally who bought something from Century got a non-functional gun until Century's CS sent them replacement/missing parts.
View Quote

See my previous post asking if century or Atlantic is active here. I'm pretty bummed, my omega 9k seemed to fit great but with my luck I'll get a replacement and my can won't fit
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:46:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CFletch] [#27]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:

See my previous post asking if century or Atlantic is active here. I'm pretty bummed, my omega 9k seemed to fit great but with my luck I'll get a replacement and my can won't fit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
Originally Posted By CFletch:

Atlantic definitely is, they posted in the SDS Industry forum in the MAC-5 thread I could have sworn they did but now I can't find it

They have a Industry forum, though https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Atlantic-Firearms/158/
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#28]
@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top