Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2024 11:43:58 AM EDT

I'm into my first year of learning to use my helmet mounted PVS14. No mil experience so I don't know what I don't know: figured I'd consult the brain trust.

Have a basic setup I can make work in a manner I am mostly happy with for both rifle and pistol range work. May upgrade kit later but need to sus out flaws first.

My dryfire or range drills have so far included standard weapon operation drills (shots from ready/holster, target transitions, reloads/malfunctions, distance shooting for marksmanship, barricade work), movement over uneven ground, and IR to white light transitions.

Fun fact: loading the dishwasher under NODs was really helpful developing depth perception awareness. If it's stupid but it works...

What else should I be working on? Gotta wait for the fall before I can reliably do more live fire after dark, so dry drills will get preference.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Practice reholstering a lot, especially when moving a bit
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the main thing with NODS is just getting used to scanning back and forth and up and down as you're moving around.
And learning things by feel.
You could always practice dry drills, it's not like anyone is going to see you doing them anyway...unless they have NV too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:25:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Mike] [#4]
It sounds like you have a great baseline already established.  In class, we encourage students to go home and sustain the training that they receive from us by doing all the things you've mentioned.   Everything from dry practice drills to washing the dishes or walking the dog will help.  Time under your goggle is time under your google.   The "Big 3" things to consider when practicing are 1- working your "switchology", 2-gaining situational awareness under NVGs, and 3-movement and hand eye coordination.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:01:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top