BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stutzcattle:

It really looks pretty good to me.  Would fit in perfect in our area.
View Quote

I was looking at your photo of the chocolate chip camo. It blended in pretty good too. I think I've got some DCU stuff in the attic and will see how it mixes with the copperhead.

Interesting how the browns and tans seem to blend in under NOD when they might otherwise stick out in the daytime.

Daytime photo:
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By miker84:

I was looking at your photo of the chocolate chip camo. It blended in pretty good too. I think I've got some DCU stuff in the attic and will see how it mixes with the copperhead.

Interesting how the browns and tans seem to blend in under NOD when they might otherwise stick out in the daytime.

Daytime photo:
<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/2012-07-27_15-42-04_987.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/2012-07-27_15-42-04_987.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It really looks pretty good to me.  Would fit in perfect in our area.

Daytime photo:
<a href="http://s588.photobucket.com/user/miker84/media/ARFCOM/2012-07-27_15-42-04_987.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss328/miker84/ARFCOM/2012-07-27_15-42-04_987.jpg</a>

If you look at the spaces in the grass in your photo you'll see black.  I think some chocolate chips on that gun would really help it blend in.  It might be a pain in the ass, but I think it would look good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, the chocolate chip cammies worked really well under NV. I wonder how it would work in a lot of brush/trees. I can't wait to test stuff out w/ my nods when I get em. I should only have two more weeks of waiting.  When I was in the Marines the desert Marpat worked great under NV. I never tried desert in green areas. I wonder if performs well. Would be interesting if desert camos work better with NV.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
No chance to get stuff out tonight, will hope for tomorrow night. I'll be doing some paint coatings (cerakote and some other patterns) as well as some different BDUs and camo material...any other requests?
View Quote

Not sure if you have any, but seeing what the old style BDUs, DCUs (not the chocolate chips) and ACUs look like under NODs would be interesting. If you could do all three along with the modern multi-cam at once it would be cool to see which DoD camo pattern from over the years works best under NVGs.

Thanks

Eric
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll try to dig up some pictures, but if you want an extremely durable coating that conceals well under NODs look into the flat colors of KG Gunkote. Like most products, if you don't clean and apply properly it will be a disaster, but when done right it turns out great. If you mix a few drops of tan in with black you get a ridiculously flat tan color that does not reflect IR light much at all.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Not sure if you have any, but seeing what the old style BDUs, DCUs (not the chocolate chips) and ACUs look like under NODs would be interesting. If you could do all three along with the modern multi-cam at once it would be cool to see which DoD camo pattern from over the years works best under NVGs.

Thanks

Eric
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
No chance to get stuff out tonight, will hope for tomorrow night. I'll be doing some paint coatings (cerakote and some other patterns) as well as some different BDUs and camo material...any other requests?

Thanks

Eric

I've got a few more sets of BDUs I can test.  I forgot that I still have some woodland in the basement.  I've got graduations tonight, so I'll be to drunk to take pictures later.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Do any of you guys have Rit dyed pmags or other magpul stuff to try?
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I inherited one of those jackets from my dad. Still need to test it under my nods in the woods.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:32:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#10]

Originally Posted By TNVC:

In regards see this thread on paint several years ago.  

I took so many pics back then from paint to clothes with NV cammo. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_209/191253_New_NV_Helmet_Set_Up__Updated_with_a_Holographic_Paint_Job_and_Tested_with_IR_LASER_HITS__PG3.html The Kat Performance Coatings paint that just goes blank with NODS and changes shades of color during the day with it's holographic paint schemes.  Some great paint and HIGHLY DURABLE.

Either way, IMHO, I still feel the best fabric bar none at night while viewing through a NOD is still that US Surplus Iraqi desert night cammo that is no longer produced. We and a few other entities from the ITT staff  tested the living crap out of this stuff years ago and it's still the do-all.  If you can find some surplus, buy it!  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/20140510_162105_resized_zps1f5b9936.jpg

Vic

View Quote

I'm gonna get some- for educations sake could you check one and see the fabric mix?

Off to check the archived thread

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Just so you know, this thread is fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 9:15:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyScience] [#12]
Are you guys taking these test pics with or without additional IR illumination?  

I have some black gear I could try to snap some shots of so we can get a good idea of the black spectrum.  Different things made of black seem to react differently under NV.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:34:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RocketmanOU] [#13]
Originally Posted By InfiniteGrim:
View Quote

I have some magpul stuff I'll throw in the mix. I also have some old BDUs (no choco chip, sorry) that I'll do as well. No dice again tonight, but tomorrow is pretty definite. If all else fails, I'll take some indoor pics of stuff until I can get out.

ETA: to the poster above, I'll be testing with and without IR illumination.

Also, I'm interested to see whether different materials have different reflectivity through paint (example: do plastics reflect the same under krylon as metals?)
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]

I have some magpul stuff I'll throw in the mix. I also have some old BDUs (no choco chip, sorry) that I'll do as well. No dice again tonight, but tomorrow is pretty definite. If all else fails, I'll take some indoor pics of stuff until I can get out.

Also, I'm interested to see whether different materials have different reflectivity through paint (example: do plastics reflect the same under krylon as metals?)
View All Quotes

It is rumored that dyeing them makes them shine under NVGs
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JohnnyScience:

I have some black gear I could try to snap some shots of so we can get a good idea of the black spectrum.  Different things made of black seem to react differently under NV.
View Quote

Mine were taken with the built in IR illuminator on.  The Torch just blasted everything out of the picture.  I need a crappier IR illuminator to use.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

something I would like to know, applied to fabric and gear
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#18]

LOL. Try the surefire M1, not "crappy" or use the PVS-14's internal illuminator indoors or use the THIS  The MPLS PRO is great.

Vic
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnnyScience:

Mine were taken with the built in IR illuminator on.  The Torch just blasted everything out of the picture.  I need a crappier IR illuminator to use.

LOL. Try the surefire M1, not "crappy" or use the PVS-14's internal illuminator indoors or use the THIS  The MPLS PRO is great.

Vic

I use the Princeton Tec Switch (the baby brother of the MPLS PRO) and it illuminates quite well on its own out to 35 yards or better. Not so bright that indoors use gets washed out, and it's ridiculously lightweight, compact, and can be aimed anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

You read my mind - I've been painting a plastic sheet to compare against the steel plate.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 2:36:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC] [#21]
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Under this topic, certain fabrics in the wash cycle along with certain bleaches changed the IR characteristic of the clothing and made them bright.  This is a decent brief talking about such detergents. http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123065881 I wish this brief was around 10 years ago when some of us were experimenting. I could have saved a few thousand gallons of water!

One thing to keep in mind, why the NV pattern I showed above did so well, it's the pattern itself and even with washings I have not seen the degradation of the IR signature like other BDU's in the past and the future.  The pattern itself is the key element of this piece of clothing. Another good rule of thumb is to NEVER EVER starch anything if you don't want to glow at night under NODS and IR.  Some clothing may do better than others, but starching is not a good idea.

Edit, presently as many may know, there is  an absolute war in itself going on what the military decision will be on the next cammo clothing.  Crye is a leading contender along with a few other patterns that claim IR absorption this or that.  No matter what, after numerous washings, the IR effectiveness WILL diminish to a point it will be useless under IR.  The critical aspect I outlined above is, if  true IR clothing is to be viable, it has to be patterned for that specific mission. I know it's all about cost nowadays, so they try to have one BDU do it all.  Unfortunately, I have not seen ONE BDU do it all.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Currahee:

something I would like to know, applied to fabric and gear

Under this topic, certain fabrics in the wash cycle along with certain bleaches changed the IR characteristic of the clothing and made them bright.  This is a decent brief talking about such detergents. http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123065881 I wish this brief was around 10 years ago when some of us were experimenting. I could have saved a few thousand gallons of water!

One thing to keep in mind, why the NV pattern I showed above did so well, it's the pattern itself and even with washings I have not seen the degradation of the IR signature like other BDU's in the past and the future.  The pattern itself is the key element of this piece of clothing. Another good rule of thumb is to NEVER EVER starch anything if you don't want to glow at night under NODS and IR.  Some clothing may do better than others, but starching is not a good idea.

Edit, presently as many may know, there is  an absolute war in itself going on what the military decision will be on the next cammo clothing.  Crye is a leading contender along with a few other patterns that claim IR absorption this or that.  No matter what, after numerous washings, the IR effectiveness WILL diminish to a point it will be useless under IR.  The critical aspect I outlined above is, if  true IR clothing is to be viable, it has to be patterned for that specific mission. I know it's all about cost nowadays, so they try to have one BDU do it all.  Unfortunately, I have not seen ONE BDU do it all.

Interesting
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:11:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#24]
What we need is some video so we can see how this works with movement of the target or illumination.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#26]
This seems odd to me that people don't know using camo/concealment at night is the same as during the day basically. You can't stand out in the open and not be seen. Keep things between you can an observer and you're good to go. As far as someone using IR to light you up, well, you'll see them if you have NVG's too. In fact, we didn't use IR illum overseas because of that. You may as well be lighting a fire at night.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#27]
What we need is some video so we can see how this works with movement of the target or illumination.
View Quote

Coming right up  
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd like to request if someone coud wrap their weapon in that Camo Form wrap and see how it performs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Also, be wary of what you test and how it was washed. At some early point in my military career I wondered why there were only certain detergents we were supposed to wash our uniforms with. As I progressed and moved out of the regular infantry and into reconnaissance and sniper school I learned that quite a few detergents will make your clothes "glow" when you look at them with NVG's. When there's good illum out at night, the glow turns into a bright light. To get more to the point, those tests you performed very well could be tainted depending on what you used to wash them and there's more than a good chance that they show up so well with NVG's because of the detergent and not because of the pattern or fabric.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ReconB4:
Also, be wary of what you test and how it was washed. At some early point in my military career I wondered why there were only certain detergents we were supposed to wash our uniforms with. As I progressed and moved out of the regular infantry and into reconnaissance and sniper school I learned that quite a few detergents will make your clothes "glow" when you look at them with NVG's. When there's good illum out at night, the glow turns into a bright light. To get more to the point, those tests you performed very well could be tainted depending on what you used to wash them and there's more than a good chance that they show up so well with NVG's because of the detergent and not because of the pattern or fabric.
View Quote

I don't wash any of my BDUs in any detergent.  Just hot water and dry them.  The multicam did get the shit sprayed out of them with the waterproofing stuff from walmart.  I don't remember what it's called, but I put three layers on them before I went elk hunting.  They shed water, but didn't add any reflectivity that I noticed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#31]
The UV glow isn't a factor for me, as I don't plan on pissing off any NV equipped people. Still, this is an interesting thread. Years ago the rage among hunters was the claim that animals can see UV light. The answer, according to the marketing gurus is UV Kill spray. Anyone try it for use with NODS?

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 1ipschoser:
The UV glow isn't a factor for me, as I don't plan on pissing off any NV equipped people. Still, this is an interesting thread. Years ago the rage among hunters was the claim that animals can see UV light. The answer, according to the marketing gurus is UV Kill spray. Anyone try it for use with NODS?

http://cdn.nexternal.com/dandrsport/images/AtskoUV-KillerSpray-S.jpg
View Quote

Just ordered some.  Will try it when it gets here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1ipschoser:

http://cdn.nexternal.com/dandrsport/images/AtskoUV-KillerSpray-S.jpg

Cool, just noticed the label includes a reference to NV effectiveness...
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I am going to add a bottle of synthrapol detergent to my next order from amazon.  See if that changes anything.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By smaddox:
I am going to add a bottle of synthrapol detergent to my next order from amazon.  See if that changes anything.
View Quote

Is that supposed to remove excess dye?
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:

Originally Posted By smaddox:

Yes.  We will see if it removes optical brighteners.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump because it died.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:
Bump because it died.
View Quote

I've got my pvs14 now and we're gonna have to do another testing night
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#39]
My adapter rings should be this week so I can get better photos, although I like the custom adapter that pbjunkie had at CW.....might have to build one of those too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Yea, I maaaayyy make some videos....
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#41]
OK I'm set up to do some testing independently.  This is inside in that bathroom, cause, it's like, daytime and stuff.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of treatment can be given to tac gear to break up the shape at night.  I have noticed that most leaves and the like reflect lighter so this should make up the bulk of your pattern.  Of course the gear needs to be daylight effective as well.

A- mil contract pouch in ACU
B- Spec-Ops Pouch- note color of clasp and red duct tape
C- Spec-Ops w- sponged on paint (two colors, rustolium and Aervo OD)
D Condor Pouch w/ sprayed on Krylon and paint pen. (done a long time ago)
C- mil contract pouch in coyote
D- commercial camera case (my NOD case)

So far I think coyote gear with the Aervo OD dapped on with a sponge in small increments to make a pattern might be a good bet.  I need to think hard on that as I only have one banshee to try

I had to take apart my helmet to put my new mounts on.  I repainted the whole thing in Rustoleum OD, then I mixed some Aervo OD with sand and dabbed it on with a sponge then dabbed on a lighter Rustoleum green.  The sand roughed up the texture for more visible light camo.  I was hoping it would help at night too, but not so much.  You can see the color difference here.

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Very interested in seeing before/after pics if someone uses the chemical that is supposed to remove detergent/brighteners...
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Very interested in seeing before/after pics if someone uses the chemical that is supposed to remove detergent/brighteners...
View Quote

I've got it, just haven't had time yet.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

No worries, chief, just staying current...
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#45]
and tag
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Has anyone tried sun screen to see if it has any affect on night vision?

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Tag for future pic placement
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1776blackrifle] [#48]
Originally Posted By Currahee:
OK I'm set up to do some testing independently.  This is inside in that bathroom, cause, it's like, daytime and stuff.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of treatment can be given to tac gear to break up the shape at night.  I have noticed that most leaves and the like reflect lighter so this should make up the bulk of your pattern.  Of course the gear needs to be daylight effective as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/permanent/tacgeartest-a_zpsc7b64ced.jpg

A- mil contract pouch in ACU
B- Spec-Ops Pouch- note color of clasp and red duct tape
C- Spec-Ops w- sponged on paint (two colors, rustolium and Aervo OD)
D Condor Pouch w/ sprayed on Krylon and paint pen. (done a long time ago)
C- mil contract pouch in coyote
D- commercial camera case (my NOD case)

So far I think coyote gear with the Aervo OD dapped on with a sponge in small increments to make a pattern might be a good bet.  I need to think hard on that as I only have one banshee to try

I had to take apart my helmet to put my new mounts on.  I repainted the whole thing in Rustoleum OD, then I mixed some Aervo OD with sand and dabbed it on with a sponge then dabbed on a lighter Rustoleum green.  The sand roughed up the texture for more visible light camo.  I was hoping it would help at night too, but not so much.  You can see the color difference here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/permanent/helmettest-a_zpseb832339.jpg

View Quote

Currahee: Some questions if you see them and have time to reply:

1. Have you tested brand new mil spec clothing/gear that has been treated for Anti IR and other sensors to reduce signature?

2. What about Anti Thermal gear and tactics? Almost all the threats are also thermal now.

3. Pic D (Should be F) - commercial camera case (my NOD case):  Surprised to see a low signature for the black fabric. What is that high signature black part (plastic/zipper?) of your case made of near the lid, that shines like a beacon, while the rest is relatively subdued?

Along with their NV equipped Panther tanks. The Germans Axis during WWII, may have been the first to also manufacture and adopt, NV type low signature clothing fabrics, dampeners and treatments with their camouflage uniforms, etc.

In the 1980s, you might remember the US camouflage BDU's had Anti IR treatments. A new unwashed pair of BDU's, when worn seemed less breathable, likely due to the fabric treatment. It seemed if you wash, and really break them in, to where they are comfortable to wear and they lose their effectiveness.

Perhaps the accumulation of dust and dirt may also degrade effectiveness of some IR Sensor treated clothing and gear. Who have you seen with 100% new clean kit? Maybe we should stock several spare gear kits for running private public ops during crisis.

Now we are almost past 60-70 years, since this threat matter was first conceived and addressed, to some degree with the advent of countermeasures. Development and your work continues. We enjoy your reviews. Thank you
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Here are the rough drafts for the two articles I am writing for the website on the subject of NODs.  These are not listed in the menus yet.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Introduction to Night Vision

Night Vision Camouflage

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Interesting...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top