Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2024 4:19:23 AM EDT
I am looking at an N-Vision Halo-X35 for ~$6K versus the Bering Optics Super Yoter 35mm for ~$4K from any of several vendors.

I typically hunt Feral Hogs among cattle at 150~200 yards but, I am starting to see dogs, dogs not Coyotes attacking newborn calves.  The other big target species are beavers out to 400 yards which is a harder target.  I want to preserve the ability to use this closer in, around the house for possums and raccoons so I want to ensure I don't lose my FOV too far away if hunting close to my house.

This has me looking at the 35mm lenses for 'native magnification' and BAE sensors for FOV and 60Hz.  Ultimately, I need positive target identification above all else!

Am I on the right 'track'?  Am I over-spending for capability I don't need?  How heavy are these going to be on my rifle?  The FLIR brand I have used previously was excessively heavy at >~4lbs mounted, 65oz plus mount based on memory, had a narrow FOV with its 19mm lens, and poor target identification even without digital zoom at the ranges I used it.

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I should also note that I shoot in high-humidity conditions frequently so, that is a discriminating factor in my thermal scope choice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Hogster 384 Vibe?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 3:54:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KoreyKirsch] [#3]
I am not sure where you are buying a N-Vision Halo X35 at $6K, but if it is new, the dealer is way below MAP and will be in trouble if anyone finds out. The MAP is $7,495 so just making sure we are comparing it correctly as the SY Yoter 35 MAP is $3,995. The SY35 is no slouch, but the Halo X35 is going to have a crisper image. Not always better animal detail, but better overall image. However, the SY handles extreme humidity a little better. I mean above 97% type of humidity.

The Halo is much heavier at 32.5 oz vs 18oz on the SY35.

Comparisons:
Image: Hard to beat the BAE sensor of the Halo. But the Bering is no slouch especially when the humidity starts getting to 97% and higher. Animal detail is sometimes stronger on the Bering.
Warranty: 5-year Nvision warranty while Bering has a 4-year warranty.
Price: $7,495 vs $3,995
Weight: 32.5 oz for N-Vision vs 18oz for SY
Power: Nvision - 18650s, Bering - CR123s, or 16650 with battery extender
Functionality: Close but slight edge to Bering with color reticles and backgrounds
Durability: Both are good, but N-Vision is built more rugged
Country Of Origin: Both are US companies and both service their thermals in the US. However, N-Vision uses the US sensor from BAE and Bering uses the iRay sensor.

Both are really good thermals from really good companies and Night Goggles carries both. We are an ARFcom sponsor and provide ARFcom members a discount and free shipping.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KoreyKirsch:
I am not sure where you are buying a N-Vision Halo X35 at $6K, but if it is new, the dealer is way below MAP and will be in trouble if anyone finds out. The MAP is $7,495 so just making sure we are comparing it correctly as the SY Yoter 35 MAP is $3,995. The SY35 is no slouch, but the Halo X35 is going to have a crisper image. Not always better animal detail, but better overall image. However, the SY handles extreme humidity a little better. I mean above 97% type of humidity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yes, NIB and not a factory second or demo unit.  I don't want to burn the dealer so I'll stay quiet on who they are.  As a former dealer of a different product line under similar dealer terms, Advertising below MAAP is a hard no-no but the final sales price not in the public space was between me and the customer.

The SY35 though has a real price advantage under both price points.

Sounds like the SY35 may be the better option for me even though subjectively it loses some minor level of detail compared to the Halo X35.  Whether $2K or $4K cheaper, the Halo X35 would need to offer something really tangible for another 50% or more in price increase.

The Halo is much heavier at 32.5 oz vs 18oz on the SY35.

The weight is initially the biggest drawback to me.  I have considered the NOX35 THERMAL SCOPE which is listed as 19oz to 21oz.

Comparisons:
Image: Hard to beat the BAE sensor of the Halo. But the Bering is no slouch especially when the humidity starts getting to 97% and higher. Animal detail is sometimes stronger on the Bering.
Warranty: 5-year Nvision warranty while Bering has a 4-year warranty.
Price: $7,495 vs $3,995
Weight: 32.5 oz for N-Vision vs 18oz for SY
Power: Nvision - 18650s, Bering - CR123s, or 16650 with battery extender
Functionality: Close but slight edge to Bering with color reticles and backgrounds
Durability: Both are good, but N-Vision is built more rugged
Country Of Origin: Both are US companies and both service their thermals in the US. However, N-Vision uses the US sensor from BAE and Bering uses the iRay sensor.

18650 batteries for me are a huge plus for reasons unrelated to this topic.  In terms of durability, more is generally better, but that is likely part of the reason the N-Vision option is so much heavier.

The SY35 isn't apt to be damaged with normal hunting, is it?  Assuming so, I'm thinking the weight trade-off for something lighter is better for me generally.

Both are really good thermals from really good companies and Night Goggles carries both. We are an ARFcom sponsor and provide ARFcom members a discount and free shipping.

Yep, for Bering Optics, you guys are basically my only source because you represent the brand so well.  Other people may sell them but, for someone like myself, you are the only one providing support to help my decision so you have EARNED my business if I go that direction!

I have local shops pushing Pulsar really hard.  It's not that they are bad but, to me, they just don't seem to be a good value in the price vs. performance comparison but, they do seem to be putting out some new products that are pretty high-end.  There are a lot of companies out making Thermal scopes so, it can be a bit overwhelming when looking at the broader market in general.  Bering Optics seems to be the one providing a very good product at a reasonable price point with a consistently good performance level relative to its peers consistently over time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:34:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KoreyKirsch] [#5]
Yes, NIB and not a factory second or demo unit.  I don't want to burn the dealer so I'll stay quiet on who they are.  As a former dealer of a different product line under similar dealer terms, Advertising below MAAP is a hard no-no but the final sales price not in the public space was between me and the customer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There isn't the margin many think there is on thermals. If a dealer as you say (in private) wants to go below MAP, that is their risk and also their loss on an already low margin product. Many people who get a good deal won't keep it to themselves and will start telling others and posting it, and that is when issues begin.

Sounds like the SY35 may be the better option for me even though subjectively it loses some minor level of detail compared to the Halo X35.  Whether $2K or $4K cheaper, the Halo X35 would need to offer something really tangible for another 50% or more in price increase.
What I try to do is point out the strengths and weaknesses of all products and let the customer decide based on their needs.

The weight is initially the biggest drawback to me.  I have considered the NOX35 THERMAL SCOPE which is listed as 19oz to 21oz.
The NOX is a nice option as well. You lose recording and WiFi though  as your tradeoff. The NOX does make a better dual threat if you wish to use it as a scanner at times.

The SY35 isn't apt to be damaged with normal hunting, is it?  Assuming so, I'm thinking the weight trade-off for something lighter is better for me generally.
Well, I have shot 1412 coyotes in the last 3.75 seasons using Bering thermals while hunting in fairly brutal conditions of North Dakota. I haven't broken one yet. However, the way I usually talk about the build quality is, "If my life depended on the build quality, I would buy N-Vision." For me coyote hunting is part of my job and I love it, but my life doesn't depend on my thermal. Now with that said, in 4 years of use and 1400+ coyotes, I have not been ever left in the field without a working thermal using Bering.

The housing on the SY is similar to the housing of PVS14s. PVS14s are typically not considered fragile by any means. With that said, Bering changed the body composition on the SY 50 LRF and SH LRF. They did this to add strength to help support the LRF. You wanted to keep a wide FOV, or I would have probably been talking about the SY50 LRF. It adds a lot of new features that are very attractive besides just adding the LRF. However, Bering has no plans of creating a SY35 LRF at this point (at least not talked about at SHOT show).

Yep, for Bering Optics, you guys are basically my only source because you represent the brand so well.  Other people may sell them but, for someone like myself, you are the only one providing support to help my decision so you have EARNED my business if I go that direction!
I talk about Bering as much as I do because every thermal I own is Bering. Due to this, the majority of my coyote videos are with my personal Bering products. I own them because I find them the best value. However, I do test and use Pulsar and N-Vision as well, so I attempt to represent those brands as well. I work with each customer to try and find the right thermal for them and that includes Bering Optics. Pulsar, and N-Vision.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
There isn't the margin many think there is on thermals. If a dealer as you say (in private) wants to go below MAP, that is their risk and also their loss on an already low margin product. Many people who get a good deal won't keep it to themselves and will start telling others and posting it, and that is when issues begin.

The NOX is a nice option as well. You lose recording and WiFi though  as your tradeoff. The NOX does make a better dual threat if you wish to use it as a scanner at times.
View Quote

Regarding margin and sales price, the economy is tough so whether the dealer is selling at a loss or not may depend on the need to pay rent, taxes, etc. with a product that is slow moving.  I was an FFL in the past and sold a lot of knives, some at below my cost because they were "dead stock" and the money tied up in those slow sellers was better deployed in something with better turnover.  Such is life with the small independent retail trade in most market segments.

Video recording is nice but, I don't post Social Media videos and, while a video review after the shoot is nice I don't do that much.  WiFi is convenient but, most of my electronics are tied to USB cables so, right now I am not motivated to pay a premium for that feature generally with most things that aren't a tablet or laptop or similar item.

Dual use as a Scanner and Scope with the Nox is a significant feature to me.  I considered a Nox 18mm against a PVS-14 and Phenom previously.  Modern Gen 3 PVS-14's work really well closer in for me around chicken coops and barns on a good rimfire rifle where I want to limit potential damage from a missed shot or ricochet on opossums, raccoons, and similar critters.  In the end, with my limited budget at the time, the PVS-14 turned out to be the winner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top