Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2024 11:28:58 PM EDT
If I made a black powder muzzleloader with a ported barrel, and I permanently welded one end cap at the muzzle end past the ports, and welded the other end cap close to the fore end, and made the can body such that it was captured between both end caps but could come apart for cleaning (while still captured), would the resulting integral silencer require a stamp as it was captured on a non firearm?

I know there was a bp rifle with a silencer permanent attached a few years ago, and no stamp was needed, but I don't think the silencer broke down for cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:36:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#1]
Maxim 50 is what you're thinking. Internals are stainless, but not user serviceable/able to be taken apart. I've flushed tge shit out of mine, and used foaming BP cleaner and it seemed to work.

Not sure if they would want the entire device "permanently attached". User serviceable would be nice, but with their latest game of "everything is a suppressor", they may consider the parts not permanently attached to be able to be used on a different firearm, and thus, not exempt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilencerCo_Maxim_50
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thinking more about your idea (if I understand correctly), if the outer sleeve could be unscrewed towards the breech...i.e. removed from the baffle stack, but still retained on the barrel like a delta ring on an AR....you might just be OK.

Again, this is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NAM:
Thinking more about your idea (if I understand correctly), if the outer sleeve could be unscrewed towards the breech...i.e. removed from the baffle stack, but still retained on the barrel like a delta ring on an AR....you might just be OK.

Again, this is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer.
View Quote

@NAM
Yes, I was thinking captured but collapsible. NO SOLVENT TRAP PARTS lol
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:42:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#4]
Weld an internally threaded end cap to the baffle stack; weld that to the muzzle. Externally thread the outer tube, making it removable. This way, it couldn't be used on another gun as a suppressor and would be easily cleaned. You can weld the end cap or thread it.

Of course, a baffle strike would be a pain in the ass to replace.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:37:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#5]
Originally Posted By FB41:

Of course, a baffle strike would be a pain in the ass to replace.
View Quote

This is why I want to place the suppressor over the barrel, not off the end.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I am going to go against the grain her3 and say any sound suppressor regardless of vintage of gun or how it attaches is still a supressor so would be subject to NFA regulations
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By captain127:
I am going to go against the grain her3 and say any sound suppressor regardless of vintage of gun or how it attaches is still a supressor so would be subject to NFA regulations
View Quote

You'd be incorrect in at least one commercially available case. Search for the "Maxim 50" and you'll find more or less what the OP is describing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

You'd be incorrect in at least one commercially available case. Search for the "Maxim 50" and you'll find more or less what the OP is describing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
Originally Posted By captain127:

Wow learned something new! Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top