Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2024 1:15:51 PM EDT
1100-1200 grains FFFF with three round balls on top.  Dixie Gun work type test with gun on top of tyre and set off from a safe distance. Stock broken, muzzle flared like banana and slight bulge in barrel.  What a public service to trash a gun (I hope they have the U-toob revenue to pay for it).

WE BLEW UP AN INDIAN MUSKET FROM MILITARY HERITAGE!!!???? Indian made musket proof testing
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to see that there is such a margin of safety.  I wonder how well an original would hold up?
No, I am not going to repeat the test with an original antique, I was just thinking out loud.
I bet it would let go sooner than the reproduction.  I bet it would still take a ridiculous over-charge to do it, though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#2]
A buddy of mine was sighting his inline at the range at our camp. There were a few shots, then one really loud one.

He and his pal (the pal was a tool) came back to the cabin and my buddy had blood pouring down his face from a bad scope bite. They had no idea what had happened. I disassembled the gun, including pulling the primer plug, and I couldn't find any issues with the barrel. I asked for the ramrod to push a patch down the barrel and it was nowhere to be found. We are pretty sure that he shot the ramrod. I believe he was shooting 777.

Another guy I know killed a deer with a ramrod in flintlock season.

I have always thought it's pretty tough to blow up a modern muzzleloader with black powder.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So you would be killed by the recoil before the gun blows up?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:
I have always thought it's pretty tough to blow up a modern muzzleloader with black powder.
View Quote

Modern as in modern safety margins and materials? Short of multiple projectiles or welding the barrel shut it's practically impossible yes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My "Bombay pipe bomb" from American Heritage...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Given that is 10x the max load I use with a single ball, I should be good.

@SrBenelli , noted your descriptive name of “Bombay Pipe Bomb”, by chance are you also on MuzzleLoadingForum?  These Indian muskets are always good over there for an animated thread matching a beans/no beans & 9mm/.45ACP combo here with FAROCK thrown in seasoning.

What model Brown Bess is that? Just got the UPS tracking # for a Brown Bess carbine.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Are those indian replicas shooters?

Or are strictly wall hangers?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

View Quote

I assume many people buy them strictly for display or blank firing - but they're functional arms.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Due to India's firearm manufacturing laws, the flintlocks do not have the flash hole drilled and caplocks do not have the flash channel drilled.
They are sold as wall hangers due to these laws. Plus, there are US import laws.
There are multiple YouTube videos on drilling these holes.

These muskets vary in quality. Stick with the major importers to reduce issues. Regard these as 90% kits.

Cons:
Most are made using teak wood which is more difficult to work or stain than American or European hardwoods.
Occasionally, some of the lock parts may not be in spec or be of soft steel.

Pros:
Their cost is lower than Italian replicas and have more models.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the reply

Would it be fair to say:

For everyday shooting, stick with a name brand like Chambers, Kibler, TOTW

For sending the occasional balls, these 'should' work?

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the reply

Would it be fair to say:

For everyday shooting, stick with a name brand like Chambers, Kibler, TOTW

For sending the occasional balls, these 'should' work?
View Quote

Short answer:  That would be a good assumption.

Long answer: My main BP guns are Pedersoli, Navy Arms, or originals.

The good, bad, & the ugly.
The Good.
I got 2 percussion muskets from Loyalist Arms since they have a better reputation for quality pieces. Due to them losing employees due to COVID, their lead time was for the 1835 Tower Percussion conversion musket was 8 months. Later, I found that they do have a shop in Arkansas run by a reputable BP gunsmith at The Muzzleloader, Shop, LTD. that ships in 6 weeks. Best to call to see what they have in stock since it is 2 man shop and muzzleloading is their thing vs. having a fancy webpage with a server that could get hacked. Just call, nice folk to talk with. One is to shoot pigs from a blind and the 1842 is to practice with for N-SSA matches. Military Heritage is Canadian also but does not drill the flash hole on flints or flash channels on the three percussion muskets they offer. Versus Loyalist Arms having 10 percussion muskets listed. The YouTuber, 11BangBang, states he's fired in excess of 2500 round through his Military Heritage French 1766 Charleville musket. I have no experience with Veteran Arms but can state that on the muzzleloadingforum there is nothing specifically negative mentioned about them.

I wanted to get into flintlocks which is a natural progression of the Black Powder Syndrome, same as NFA goodies are a progression of Black Rifle Disease, and ordered a Brown Bess carbine from Military Heritage.

There is a member on the muzzleloading forum that has experience with Military Heritage muskets and for a reasonable fee will evaluate them to see if there is anything wrong with them that warrant them being exchanged. He will also drill the flash hole, tune the lock, harden the frizzen if required, crown the muzzle, and remove the breech plug to notch if needed. For this musket, he was done in 48 hours but with him stating it was one of the best muskets he saw from them. Currently, it is still in PA awaiting shipment to Texas. Several members on the muzzleloading forum have positive experiences with Military Heritage.

Bad & Ugly:
Just stay away from Middlesex Trading Company. Not even going to link there. High odds that you never get what you ordered or could be jacked up by his tinkering.
Google "Middlesex Trading Company complaints" to see why.
You've been forewarned.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The 2 percussion muskets from Loyalist Arms.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:
A buddy of mine was sighting his inline at the range at our camp. There were a few shots, then one really loud one.

He and his pal (the pal was a tool) came back to the cabin and my buddy had blood pouring down his face from a bad scope bite. They had no idea what had happened. I disassembled the gun, including pulling the primer plug, and I couldn't find any issues with the barrel. I asked for the ramrod to push a patch down the barrel and it was nowhere to be found. We are pretty sure that he shot the ramrod. I believe he was shooting 777.

Another guy I know killed a deer with a ramrod in flintlock season.

View Quote

I've shot a ramrod before. I didn't even notice extra recoil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top