Tony

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You are my favorite mad scientist.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
How much belted 5.56 would the box hold? Using the standard RPD hanger or a M249 dovetail?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NWRed:
How much belted 5.56 would the box hold? Using the standard RPD hanger or a M249 dovetail?
View Quote

Not sure....probably 260 or 270 rounds of 5.56.  The box is 10" x 6" x 2.3" using a standard RPD mount, so I can still use the 100rd RPD boxes.
In order to get the box to sit level with the gun, the RPD box bracket had to be attached at an angle.
I don't think an M249 dovetail would work on the receiver of an RPD, since it ejects straight down out the bottom.  ETA (NWRED Informed me) - I see there is an adapter for a SAW box, but it lowers the top of the box a bit and won't hold 200 rounds of 7.62x39.

I'm running a 50 round belt segment at the start and another 50 at the end, with 4ea 25 round segments in the middle.

Tony

Here's a size comparison to a SAW/Shrike Box.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I want an RPD kit!

Shouldn't be terrible to build up.

Tony, that's awesome! Also should be sufficiently heavy to lug around!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Would it be possible to get some info and pictures of that carry handle?  I've never seen one like that on an RPD.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#8]
Originally Posted By Silverbear_51:
Would it be possible to get some info and pictures of that carry handle?  I've never seen one like that on an RPD.
View Quote

It's an FAL handle.  The gun can be fired with the handle resting on the left or the right.
I welded a tombstone hanger to the top of the gun that has a stud on the front of it.  The handle slides over the stud and is retained by the hand guards.

Tony

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish I had more 25rd segments. Always on the lookout for some. I think I have 2.

I did splice together a long Frankenbelt though
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
I wish I had more 25rd segments. Always on the lookout for some. I think I have 2.

I did splice together a long Frankenbelt though
View Quote
You can make them from the 50s with undoing some of the links. The springs that link the links together can be "unscrewed" from the belts to separate the links.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:

It's an FAL handle.  The gun can be fired with the handle resting on the left or the right.
I welded a tombstone hanger to the top of the gun that has a stud on the front of it.  The handle slides over the stud and is retained by the hand guards.

Tony

https://i.imgur.com/XYFUOsT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Savq5VD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PpJn57G.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Z3HUprA.jpg
View Quote
Very cool, the RPD needed a good carry handle at the CG.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, very nice- thanks.

Unfortunately not something I can add to a transferable receiver.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
You can make them from the 50s with undoing some of the links. The springs that link the links together can be "unscrewed" from the belts to separate the links.
View Quote

Yeah I have thought about doing that. Or maybe make some 50rd middle segments along with a 50rd fixed length segment.  I think I may have even done this years ago but I can't remember exactly. Either way I guess I need to find some more belts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:46:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I really wish there was a way to find belts without the drum.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Zeleny sport sells them, haven't tried ordering them yet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By takdriver:
I really wish there was a way to find belts without the drum.
View Quote

They were pretty much only imported as sets. So the only time you find just the belts is when someone threw away their drums
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top