Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2024 5:00:23 PM EDT
I’ve always wanted one of these, but I’m just not sure if the price tag is warranted. I’ve owned other HK firearms and have always been impressed by the quality.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:57:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrMackey] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends - they tend to be a little more gassy and rattle more than some newer options if you care about that but solid / reliable and german level tolerances etc.  To look at it another way, is Bogner worth it? Yeah I saw your profile.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO, an MR556 is only worth it if you can source a Nefarious Arms CHF barrel to replace the crap barrel they come with from the factory.  

I wouldn't bother having any work done to the factory barrel (cutting back, re-threading, pinning and welding, profile reduction, nitriding, etc.), and would replace the factory barrel with the NA CHF ASAP.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a couple HK416 clones. This one has a Norwegian type upper with the adjustable gas block and a Nefarious Arms chrome lined barrel. My other one has a chopped and melonited MR556 barrel.  I like them and am a big HK fan, but I think the MR556 is a bit overpriced.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If I recall correctly, you cannot get a real 416 barrel in the MR?  That is one of the big reasons I would actually spend more for a 416- the barrels just last…

Stepping down from that would annoy me every time I looked at it.  Don’t know why HK feels the need to do that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ToyCop] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tac556:
If I recall correctly, you cannot get a real 416 barrel in the MR?  That is one of the big reasons I would actually spend more for a 416- the barrels just last

Stepping down from that would annoy me every time I looked at it.  Don't know why HK feels the need to do that kind of thing.
View Quote
You can put a 416 barrel in a MR. The MR barrels have a tab on the extension that fits into the slot machined into the MR upper. The tab can be ground off to use the MR barrel in a 416 upper.

ETA: Forgot to mention the MR bolt carrier has the slot machined as well. This is done so you can't just drop the full auto 416 carrier into a MR.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ToyCop:
You can put a 416 barrel in a MR. The MR barrels have a tab on the extension that fits into the slot machined into the MR upper. The tab can be ground off to use the MR barrel in a 416 upper.

ETA: Forgot to mention the MR bolt carrier has the slot machined as well. This is done so you can't just drop the full auto 416 carrier into a MR.
View Quote

Not to start massive thread drift but does the MR762A1 have the same issues as the MR556?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tac556:
If I recall correctly, you cannot get a real 416 barrel in the MR?  That is one of the big reasons I would actually spend more for a 416- the barrels just last…

Stepping down from that would annoy me every time I looked at it.  Don’t know why HK feels the need to do that kind of thing.
View Quote

Correct. The MR series have a US made barrel. The HK416 has a factory german barrel.  Last time I care about this, the US made barrel was not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:

Not to start massive thread drift but does the MR762A1 have the same issues as the MR556?
View Quote
No idea. I don't own the large frame rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If I didn’t have one I wouldn’t buy one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top