Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2024 7:51:10 PM EDT
When did the "improved" hanger assembly that allowed for the cloth bandoleer hit the field?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:48:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#1]
Good question.

I've looked for info on this too, and it's hard to find.
Best I can tell, 1966.

Here's a post on USmilitariaForum where a guy was looking for "Early 100rd bandoleers. Im only looking for two types of cotton bandoleer. A transitional style with the flap but webbing added to be used on a bandoleer hangers and (not pictured) a 1966 or before dated second style which has no snap & flap."

First I've heard of those. Here's his pic:
Attachment Attached File

Seems like from what he's saying, these cotton bandoliers like the one pictured would've been the very first with added webbing so they could be used with the new hanger.
Then they must've switched to the simpler ones we've all seen (that remained in use).

Here are some examples of the first bandoliers which apparently had no provision for attaching to a hanger:
https://www.1919a4.com/threads/neat-old-m60-bandolier.110439/
https://www.mooremilitaria.com/m60-bando-1.html

Although I'm not sure his pic with the description "Early short bandoleer hanger. These are probably around half the size of the ones used later on in the 70s" is accurate at all, since that looks like a can on the early receiver bracket. Using a peach can (or something) from a C ration was a common field modification, done to omit the early reusable pouch. I wish his pics were better.

I snagged one of the early pouches from Apex Gun Parts for reference and display, but my gun does not have the bracket to attach it to. These transitional bandoliers (above) might be even less common than those early reusable canvas pouches.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Appreciate the info.  We've got a demilled/rewelded gun in our display ( traveling museum doing Vietnam) and the topic of "c tat can" on the hanger came up.  We're trying to be as authentic as possible and wanted to figure out exactly when they started with the new hangers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Also... Does anyone have a nice, clear photo of how exactly a can was attached (brazed?) to the hanger bracket?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:11:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGT-Fish] [#4]
I know Aaron at beltfeds.com has pics of the cans attached. I think he even has some cans on his guns. Send him an email and I guarantee he would help you. He is a super nice guy and very knowledgeable on the m60. He could also tell you which cans to look for that clip in right.

And as I said, I believe the right kind of can just clips on a certain way. No "welding" or "brazing" required, though that's what all the old timers say they did
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
I know Aaron at beltfeds.com has pics of the cans attached. I think he even has some cans on his guns. Send him an email and I guarantee he would help you. He is a super nice guy and very knowledgeable on the m60. He could also tell you which cans to look for that clip in right.

And as I said, I believe the right kind of can just clips on a certain way. No "welding" or "brazing" required, though that's what all the old timers say they did
View Quote

I *THINK* the M60 "D" model is the only variant that had "clips" on the hanger assembly....to allow attaching the feed chute to the weapon.  I might be wrong though....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top