Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2024 8:13:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DH2]
Well if we are doing "modern leverguns" I have to say I like it more than the S&W options or Marlin's Dark series.

Magpul Trapper
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:16:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mak0] [#1]
Ruger acquired Marlin during the Remington bankruptcy. Pretty nice to see they are trying to revive the brand and expand their line with new stuff.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Function over form
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I dig it
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. I like it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh. I like wood on a lever gun.
Sure is nice to see them threading barrels tho.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fredegar:
I dig it
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone wants to be like me. I do need that stock.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't we do MLOK slots in wood?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my Ranger Point Precision more.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -Shaggs-:
I like my Ranger Point Precision more.

https://i.imgur.com/SZdWSrm.jpg
View Quote

What’s the weight on those vs the wood stocks they come with?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Enzo300:
Meh. I like wood on a lever gun.
View Quote

I'd put wood on my ARs if I could find it a reasonable price.

Magpul makes nice AR mags and folding buttstocks. I've never seen anything else that I like from them.

It is nice to see Ruger making Marlins that people want.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#13]
That actually looks pretty cool for a tacti-fucked lever action…
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the looks of that Marlin.
I'll be in trouble if they release a 44mag or 357 version.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Why can’t anyone produce a quality folding stock.

Seems logical for a rifle you’d want to pack away
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m liking the handguard but the stock just isn’t it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I just installed my Midwest Industries stock or I would buy that stock.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Could they put any more spacers on that stock?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks way more comfortable than all the aluminum stuff. Should be much cheaper too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
This is modern enough to add some function without the full on skeleton stuff that mad pig puts on. I like it!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Not bad, not bad at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, not attractive to me at all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#23]
While I'm more of a traditional lever guy I do understand synthetic has its place.  Even stocks where you can add spacers.

What I don't understand is why they just can't do it with a normal looking stock.

I had a foam filled ramline on my w94 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
While I'm more of a traditional lever guy I do understand synthetic has its place.  Even stocks where you can add spacers.

What I don't understand is why they just can't do it with a normal looking stock.

I had a foam filled ramline on my w94 30 years ago.
View Quote

Lots of levergun guys are hardcore traditionalists so they won't be happy with anything other than traditional wood(many hate the laminates) so there's no need for a normal stock at that point. I never understood why simple synthetics weren't more popular but I don't think anyone wanted them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:06:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#25]
I don't get it with the hula-hoop levers.

Oh right, "gloves."

Yet the part of the lever that matters most in the context of "gloves" - the trigger guard - gives no more room for your "gloves" than the original non-hula-hoop design.

Can I at least have a SOMEWHAT SMALLER HULA-HOOP?
I'm really not into putting braided leather straps on the hula-hoop to reduce the size of the opening.
Leather straps are a sump for morning-dew, mid-morning rain, afternoon sweat, gun-case mildew, etc. And that's before the braid fails, and you've got dangly leather straps interfering with the trigger. Good thing I usually have my AARP-Commemorative Buck 110 with me. Cut that dangly leather off when it inevitably gets in the way.

As someone who wore gloves, while hunting with a Winchester 94 in the 70's, I wouldn't mined a larger TRIGGER GUARD opening a bit. Can we make a bigger hole in the TRIGGER GUARD mechanically possible? But never mind, the lawyers probably won't allow a bigger hole around the actual trigger.

I don't hate the plastic furniture. For a utilitarian gun that might get bounced around, and to have the ability to adjust the configuration of the butt to allow for better head and shoulder placement isn't a crime. As for the slotted handguard, I guess its OK to put a flashlight on a gun that might be used in dark conditions. So MLOK. Except there might be some legal issues if you mount a flashlight and go hunting animals that require a hunting license. Probably OK if you are shooting at bad guys. Assuming we really are doing 45-70 for home-defense now.

While I'm willing to be somewhat open-minded with this "tactical lever-gun" thing, I think I might have to flog the first person who puts an "IR designator" or some goofy such on their plastic-coated lever gun with a hula-hoop unless they are ACTUALLY DOING stuff that requires the IR designator.

NODs and a lever-gun,.... I just don't know.
CHAPS and a lever gun, probably OK.

Maybe MAGPUL will offer a less hula-hoop, and more tactical aftermarket lever.

And a caliber that won't give me a concussion after the first hour of a "carbine class."
Could you imagine actually doing a typical carbine class with hundreds of rounds of 45-70?
And those mounted-on-the-gun ammo carriers. 45-70 recoil doesn't dislodge those rounds clipped into plastic doo-hickeys?
The threaded muzzle seems like a good idea. Install the heaviest suppressor you can find. If you can add some pounds to that gun, you can probably last a little bit longer in the carbine class before the brain-fog from the concussion sidelines you.

I'm not sure why they call it the "TRAPPER."
You really gonna finish-off a bobcat in a trap with a 405 grain bullet?
Didn't trappers use very minimalistic calibers to finish off bitey animals in traps? If they used centerfire at all it was something of the 25-20 sort. Or just .22 rimfire from a pistol.
Anything in 45-70 doesn't harken to the notion of running a trap-line to me.
Maybe the idea is you are checking your trap-line, and you have to duke it out with a grizzly bear over which one of you gets to take the possum in the trap home.
Makes me think of the machete-fight that got posted in GD recently. You don't HAVE TO fight the bear. Maybe just let him enjoy the possum and come back and try to find your trap later. AT the very least, it avoids you having to try to explain to the Game Warden why you shot the Grizzly Bear with your tactical 45-70. Over a possum. There is no dishonor in just running away from the larger guy with the machete. Or the Grizzly Bear. Did you REALLY want to dress-out that Grizzly?

They should call that thing the "BRUSH BLASTER" or something along those lines. "TRAPPER" is confusing. To me anyway.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:04:15 AM EDT
[#26]
@W_E_G

The Ranger Point Medium Levers actually have a larger trigger opening for a gloved finger over the OEM levers.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By KR20:
@W_E_G

The Ranger Point Medium Levers actually have a larger trigger opening for a gloved finger over the OEM levers.

View Quote

That's a positive thing to consider.

Got any links or pictures? I claim to know how to google.
But I always end up accidentally buying he the left-handed, or the Canadian-only version if I go looking on my own.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:13:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KR20] [#28]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

But I always end up accidentally buying he the left-handed, or the Canadian-only version if I go looking on my own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KR20:
@W_E_G

https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-levers-stainless-steel
https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-lever-loops-black-nitride-steel/#a089/fullscreen-brand-categories/m=and&q=Marlin+Lever+Medium+Large+Loops

Attachment Attached File

On my 1894
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By fredegar:
I dig it
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks good to me.

I like traditional lever gun aesthetics, and I like a lot of the newer stuff too. There's nothing wrong with updating the design to make them appeal to a larger audience or to make them more functional. It's kind of like all of the changes made over the years to the original 1911, or even the evolution of the AR pattern.

And I really like seeing more threaded barrel options. Suppressed levers with a red dot are a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Didn't trappers use very minimalistic calibers to finish off bitey animals in traps? If they used centerfire at all it was something of the 25-20 sort. Or just .22 rimfire from a pistol.
Maybe the idea is you are checking your trap-line, and you have to duke it out with a grizzly bear over which one of you gets to take the possum in the trap home.
Makes me think of the machete-fight that got posted in GD recently. You don't HAVE TO fight the bear. Maybe just let him enjoy the possum and come back and try to find your trap later. AT the very least, it avoids you having to try to explain to the Game Warden why you shot the Grizzly Bear with your tactical 45-70. Over a possum. There is no dishonor in just running away from the larger guy with the machete. Or the Grizzly Bear. Did you REALLY want to dress-out that Grizzly?

They should call that thing the "BRUSH BLASTER" or something along those lines. "TRAPPER" is confusing. To me anyway.
View Quote

This might keep you from repeating your ill informed rant at a later date.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I grew up with the understanding that the purpose of the enlarged loop on the cocking lever was so that the shooter could spin cock the rifle as did John Wayne and Chuck Conners.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#33]
When this is released in .357 my wallet will be in trouble.

I was all set to get the Henry but have always been a fan of the Black/Stainless look.

This thing looks sweet
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cardboardkiller:

This might keep you from repeating your ill informed rant at a later date.

Your link seems ill informed:

Released in 1895, the Marlin Trapper was the first lever-action to be chambered for the powerhouse 45-70 cartridge.

John Browning would beg to differ a full 9 years earlier.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Your link seems ill informed:

John Browning would beg to differ a full 9 years earlier.  
View Quote

Marlin made the 1881 in 45-70 before Winchester/Browning. (Insert snarky smiley face here)

Trappers weren’t out smoking fur bearers in their traps with a 45-70 Trapper rifle. The rifle was made to be handy for carrying, protection and I’m sure it got used for some meat. Thinking a 45-70 (outside of a buttstroke) would be used by trappers to put down the animals in their traps which were trapped for their fur is absurd and totally contrary to the activity.

Knives, much smaller calibers, clubs, boots and hands are the best tools for dispatching critters where the fur is the prize.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top