Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 12:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor]
Serial is good. Model is good. I know these are marked 7.65mm and I can just barely make that out. Everything else is in German and barely legible but I can’t recognize it (thanks to google).  How would you fill the Manufacture/Import/Country field? Walther Germany? Or just put the whole script of "Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis (Thür)" to play it safe?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
IANAL -
My best guess is to use the information you have and could be shown to an auditor.

Guessing with nothing to back it up could be "an issue".
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Thor:
 How would you fill the Manufacture/Import/Country field? Walther Germany? Or just put the whole script of "Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis (Thür)" to play it safe?
View Quote

Waffenfabrik means arms factory.
Walther is the manufacturer.
Zella-Mehlis is a town in Thuringia, Germany.
To "play it safe" you record exactly as federal law and ATF regs require. "Country" is not required for an 01FFL Dealer, but is for a licensed importer or manufacturer.

So.........just "Walther" and the importer, if marked.
§ 478.125 (e)
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Waffenfabrik means arms factory.
Walther is the manufacturer.
Zella-Mehlis is a town in Thuringia, Germany.
To "play it safe" you record exactly as federal law and ATF regs require. "Country" is not required for an 01FFL Dealer, but is for a licensed importer or manufacturer.

So.........just "Walther" and the importer, if marked.
§ 478.125 (e)
View Quote

No importer on this one. I logged it today as simply “Walther” as that’s the only thing I could truly recognize. I’m an 07. Never expected to see a bring-back in for Cerakote (trashed, no real value) so have never dealt with something like this.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Thor:

No importer on this one. I logged it today as simply “Walther” as that’s the only thing I could truly recognize. I’m an 07. Never expected to see a bring-back in for Cerakote (trashed, no real value) so have never dealt with something like this.
View Quote

Likely because it arrived here before 1968.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:41:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HansohnBrothers] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#6]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Only 08 and 11 need to record country of manufacturer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Only 08 and 11 need to record country of manufacturer.

I thought so too, but ATF has this table showing a column for country of manufacture:
Table 1 to Paragraph (b)—Firearms Importer or Manufacturer Acquisition and Disposition Record

§ 478.123 Records maintained by manufacturers.

(a) Except for adjustment or repair of a firearm that is returned to the person from whom it was received on the same day, each licensed manufacturer shall record the name of the manufacturer and importer (if any), type, model, caliber or gauge, and serial number (including any associated license number either as a prefix, or if remanufactured or imported, separated by a semicolon) of each firearm manufactured or otherwise acquired (including a frame or receiver to be disposed of separately), the date of such manufacture or other acquisition, and if otherwise acquired, the name and address or the name and license number of the person from whom it was received. Privately made firearms shall be recorded in accordance with § 478.125(i). The information required by this paragraph shall, in the case of a firearm other than a firearm defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845, be recorded not later than the seventh day following the date of such manufacture or other acquisition. In the case of a firearm defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845, such information shall be recorded by close of the next business day following the date of such manufacture or other acquisition, except that, when a commercial record is held by the licensed manufacturer separately from other commercial documents and readily available for inspection, containing all acquisition information required for the record, the period for making the required entry into the record may be delayed not to exceed the seventh day following the date of receipt. The information required by this paragraph shall be recorded in a format containing the applicable columns prescribed by § 478.122.

Why they didn't include "country" in the first two lines of paragraph (a), but tell you to record it as an "applicable column" is typical ATFspeak.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top