Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/2/2024 9:33:03 PM EDT
I just picked up a Benchmade Claymore and while looking around before deciding to get it I saw a lot of knives with lanyards. I have never really had a knife with a lanyard other than a Bear Gills Gerber hollowed out handle with a paracord wrapped grip that is mounted by my seat on my Kayak. I wrapped it and left a loop so I could slip it over my wrist if I ever use it and not have to worry about dropping it. So on to my ? what is the purpose of the little 2-3" solid(not loop style) lanyards and do I want/need one? Only thing I can come up with is they are there to aid in removing the knife from your pocket.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I think a lot of it is just show.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:49:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:
I think a lot of it is just show.

View Quote

The main reason I use a lanyard to help find the knife if I lose it.  I use reflective paracord on some of mine and I've actually dropped one and found it agan after dark because of that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#3]
The one time I really sliced myself bad it was because the lanyard got hung up and my hand slipped over the edge because the knife was hung up and I couldn’t see that it was.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
The one time I really sliced myself bad it was because the lanyard got hung up and my hand slipped over the edge because the knife was hung up and I couldn’t see that it was.
View Quote

Almost did that as well.  We keep my dogs diabetes things in a plastic tool box.  The lid was open, and when I moved the knife forward to cut open a bag of syringes, the lanyard knot caught itself in the gap between the box and lid.  As soon as the lanyard tightened I felt my hand slip forward.  But no ER trip that time.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Years ago I ran across some website that showed proper lanyard use, if you’re trying to ensure you won’t drop it.

Overhand knot of the loose end on the standing line, x2

Open the “hole”

Stock your hand through

Tighten it up and it ain’t coming loose.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Overhand knot of the loose end on the standing line, x2
View Quote

This is the proper wrist-retention lanyard.

I've found that I just don't like long lanyards. They work great in hand, but when sheathed or pocketed, for me, they get in the way. Not so much for folding knives, but they're at least shorter, I found a smaller lanyard for "pinky" retention works and isn't so long that it gets snagged, but also gives you a little extra "handle" to index when accessing. If you're outdoors and not worried about the bright colors, a bright colored lanyard is also a good way to keep from losing your knife.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer to use a lanyard like this.  It still gives you retention, but you can also get out of it quickly if you need to.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This one helps get the knife out of the sheath.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:50:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stryfe] [#9]
It's not a lanyard It's a fob.
Same as your key fob, it gives a little more to grip if needed. (Yes we think of key fobs as remotes now. But you can still buy decorative key fobs.)
I have one on a Swiss Army Knife.
I put the knife in my pocket and drape the fob over the edge. It works like a pocket clip and I don’t have to play pocket pool to get my knife.

I first put a loop of 550 through the keyring on my SAK so I could clip it to a 'biner.
On a full size folder I think they're more decoration.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Same for me. Fobs on smaller blades to grab them easier. Proper use of a lanyard o select large blades. Not a one size fits all as some seem to think
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Some times they are decorative though. This is a knife I made to give to a young man who just earned his Eagle Scout rank. Lanyard colors to match his Troop’s neckerchief and 12 knots for the Scout Law
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Anything of value that you take outdoors, and don’t want to lose should be tied down.

I once dropped a 1911 in the desert sand in SoCal. I didn’t lose it but I had to completely disassemble it to get all of the fine sand out. Now any handgun that can have a lanyard does. Same goes for knives, compass/GPS, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jeepnik:
Anything of value that you take outdoors, and don’t want to lose should be tied down.

I once dropped a 1911 in the desert sand in SoCal. I didn’t lose it but I had to completely disassemble it to get all of the fine sand out. Now any handgun that can have a lanyard does. Same goes for knives, compass/GPS, etc.
View Quote

I work in the woods

All of my instruments are tied to me.  

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top