Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/10/2023 9:50:16 AM EDT
https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/livewire.html

US made with a street price that should be ~$100 less than a Microtech Ultratech. Supposedly the button is going to be lighter than the Ultratech which is my biggest complaint about mine, it takes quite a lot of force to fire and retract. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Hope it ends up on Expertvoice
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a nice looking blade. I'll agree that the button on my Combat Troodon takes a bit more thumb pressure to fire than would be ideal.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Code_Name_Eric:
That's a nice looking blade. I'll agree that the button on my Combat Troodon takes a bit more thumb pressure to fire than would be ideal.
View Quote

I really like the look of it as well. Not surprising considering it's a Matt Diskin design and I've always loved his knives. I had a chance to buy a Diskin Fire years ago for $400, still kicking myself for passing on it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mak0:

I really like the look of it as well. Not surprising considering it's a Matt Diskin design and I've always loved his knives. I had a chance to buy a Diskin Fire years ago for $400, still kicking myself for passing on it.
View Quote

I wasn't aware of the Diskin Fire, I love the blade shape on that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I preordered one from Blade HQ. Anybody else order one from anywhere or get an update on when they're supposed to ship?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#6]
Rivers Edge Cutlery has no obligation email notification at $239.95
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Have one.  Much better than my Ultratechs which I love.  Better action, way smoother.  Powder coating  is grippier like my old green 940.  A little tighter too.  That being said, microtech needs to step up.  $100 cheaper too!
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice comparison video:

Kershaw Livewire OTF Automatic Knife - Overview and Review
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks like a really nice OTF knife and I've always been a Kershaw fan. I see them listed for pre-order, but I don't see when they will be shipping.  I might get one when they are available and shipping.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I hope they come out with a double edge version, I’ll be in for that. I have been seriously thinking about one of their launch autos as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#11]
My buddy picked up one of the first to hit the market. I've handled it a few times. It's a sweet knife. I like it more than my Microtech.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By davewvu86:
My buddy picked up one of the first to hit the market. I've handled it a few times. It's a sweet knife. I like it more than my Microtech.
View Quote
What was the price he paid for it? ~270 like the list or something else?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#13]
When I pre-ordered at Blade HQ on 2/16 it was $239
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I feel like I would lose it with that small clip. Other than that it looks great! Hopefully they make a DE version.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
What was the price he paid for it? ~270 like the list or something else?
View Quote

A bit over $200, I believe. Kershaw Guy was selling them at $210. Out of stock right now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheOldRepublic:
I feel like I would lose it with that small clip. Other than that it looks great! Hopefully they make a DE version.
View Quote

Agreed. A DE, with one side plane edge, one side serrated, is both a super cool look and one of the functional advantages an OTF has over a normal switchblade or pocket knife.

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Well almost another month has gone by, anybody got theirs yet?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 3:03:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Just ordered one on GP Knives to celebrate VA new carry law
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered one from Rivers Edge Cutlery for $239.95.  I could've driven there to pick it up, but free shipping and I got better things to do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine arrived today, snappy action, 20CV, good blade length, smaller than a Benchmade Infidel, disappears in my blue jeans front pocket, seems well built, worth the price to me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Received mine today,  I really like it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I got one a couple weeks ago. I like the knife but don't like the pocket clip setup. I ended up fancy-ing it up a bit on my laser, still deciding whether to do something on the grip or leave it plain anodized.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:46:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waldershrek] [#23]
I assume none of you who received them ordered from Blade HQ? My order from February still shows processing
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By waldershrek:
I assume none of you who received them ordered from Blade HQ? My order from February still shows processing
View Quote

I got mine from Rivers Edge Cutlery, had to get it from an OH dealer since I'm a peasant.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:44:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#25]
I have always liked Kershaw and have had many of their assisted-openers (including a whole titanium nitride collection). But I don't care for the aesthetics of this one... both the blade and the handle. I'll stick with my Ultratech, Cobratecs, and Infidels.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally got email from blade HQ, Livewire is preparing for shipment and they sent tracking.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 8:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#27]
I’m really not a fan of 20CV. It takes as long to sharpen as it does to dull.

I really think they should have put Sandvik in these and knocked another $80 off of it. Make a beefed up tactical model with a super steel and sell it under ZT as a premium variant.

I think most OTF buyers like a “wow” factor to be present. This knife is decent but kind of bland.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#28]
It looks like a decent knife for the money but it looks almost identical to the ultratech.  I hope they will eventually come out with some variants like a tanto blade, serrated blade, different color handles, different steel, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Got mine finally. Being my first automatic I don't have much to compare it to. It does take quite a bit of force on the button to actually deploy the blade which is nice. I feel like there is virtually no chance of this deploying accidentally. It is nice and lightweight too. The blade is not as sharp as I would have expected for a brand new knife. I feel like my Benchmades were sharper out of the box. time will tell how the edge holds up with regular use.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

I really think they should have put Sandvik in these and knocked another $80 off of it. Make a beefed up tactical model with a super steel and sell it under ZT as a premium variant.

I think most OTF buyers like a “wow” factor to be present. This knife is decent but kind of bland.
View Quote

You need to upgrade to diamond abrasives. They don't care about what steel you're sharpening.

Can any post some in hand pics or pictures comparing them to other OTFs?

I'm a Kershaw fan and I'm planning on buying a new otf in the near future. The other one I'm interested in is a hogue counterstrike.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Good looking knife.  I like the blade profile.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 7:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#32]
As of about one month ago the Livewire is available in CPM MagnaCut for the same money as the original version.  I should've waited!  LOL
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#33]
A coworker got one recently and I got to check it out, very nice! I hope they make a double edge version.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Got one and like everything about it but the clip. My Microtech is much easier to pull out of a pocket and deploy.

Is there anyone making a aftermarket pocket clip?
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Battlehawk Armory currently has them in stock for $165: https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/ker-9000-livewire-full-size-otf-usa-3.3

Great deal if you don't mind the 20CV model. Lowest price I've seen.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

View Quote

Ditto that. It's bland indeed. My Ultratechs, Dirac Delta, and BM Infidels are not gonna be dethroned by this knife. I am a Kershaw fan, but their bread and butter is bargaine prices for great blades. I don't find that I'd be willing to pay $235 for this.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mak0:
Battlehawk Armory currently has them in stock for $165: https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/ker-9000-livewire-full-size-otf-usa-3.3

Great deal if you don't mind the 20CV model. Lowest price I've seen.
View Quote

Magnate version is 190.61 from the same company.
Originally Posted By Red_Label:

Ditto that. It's bland indeed. My Ultratechs, Dirac Delta, and BM Infidels are not gonna be dethroned by this knife. I am a Kershaw fan, but their bread and butter is bargaine prices for great blades. I don't find that I'd be willing to pay $235 for this.
View Quote

$165.55 from Battlehawkarmory. $190.61 for the Magnacut version (OG blade shape and Tanto available).
https://battlehawkarmory.com/product-search-results?search_text=Livewire&from_form=true
I’ve talked myself out of buying one about 87 times so far.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:47:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
Hope it ends up on Expertvoice
View Quote
fingerscrossed.gif
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I received my Magnacut Livewire about a week ago.  $213 delivered from Blade HQ.

So far, I’m mostly impressed .  Good edge retention, fires and retracts with authority.  

The problem I have with it is that just like every other OTF, the knife is very sensitive to pocket lint.  

The blade got stuck twice in the first few days — both times, I found lint stuck in the mechanism.

OTF knives are a fun novelty, but not what I would use for self defense.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Magnate version is 190.61 from the same company.

$165.55 from Battlehawkarmory. $190.61 for the Magnacut version (OG blade shape and Tanto available).
https://battlehawkarmory.com/product-search-results?search_text=Livewire&from_form=true
I’ve talked myself out of buying one about 87 times so far.
View Quote

Has anyone ordered one from Battlehawk
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top