BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Kailash Khukuri (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/12/2021 11:38:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6]
Just a little review of a recent khukuri I received.  I know there was a little interest in getting an on-hands review, so here you go! @JLPettimoreIII

The Kailash Khukuri, Historical Service Issue Khukuri.  Khukuri is the correct spelling and helps with the pronunciation.  I think we westerners have shorted it to kukri, but here is Kailash's explanation:

You may well have seen khukuri spelt a few different ways.
Within the knife community, the correct way to refer to these blades is a point of some contention. We refer to our knives as khukuris for a few reasons.
Firstly, it allows for the correct pronunciation of what is a Nepalese word. Khoo-koo-ree.
The "H" after the k signifies in Nepali that it as an aspirated constant, so should be pronounced a little bit harder that the second k. The terms khukri and kukri  both miss out on the second vowel sound and blend the whole word together.
We use this spelling because we are a predominately Nepalese run company. The only non-Nepali amongst us is our designer Andrew and even he has a bit of Nepalese under his belt.
In a way, the different spellings have over time acquired different meanings, with the Americanized spellings coming to refer more to westernized versions of the blade, from the recurved bowie type blades that go by the same name all the way to mass produced stamped machetes.
We are Nepalese people,  making Nepalese knives the Nepalese way.
So we spell it Khukuri.
View Quote

I ordered the Historical Service Issue:  Kailash Historical Service Issue

Historical Service Issue - 11.5"
•Blade Finish:Satin
•Hardware:Steel
•Handle Material:Desert Camo Micarta Wrap $45
•Handle Length:Medium (4.75")
•Sheath:Traditional Dap
•Grind Type:Standard Grind

I ordered on 1 March, and they finished it on 3 April; shipping only took about 7-8 days…not bad at all.

They updated me with pictures with the process of forging, grinding, and the oil quench:

They do offer a custom Kydex sheath which is actually a good way to go if you want to use it more in the field and lashed to your pack.  What drew me the most was their micarta-wrapped handle option, something I really want to try out…it was worth it.  They offer different sizes for handles, from small (4.25"), to medium (4.75"), and large (5.25").  I ordered the medium and while I wear size 9.5 .mil gloves, the medium was bigger than my standard HI handles.  I'm sure the large would really fit anyone with gorilla hands. My sheath didn’t come with the traditional karda and chakmak (smaller accessory blades), but it also meant a thinner sheath, which I wanted.

This is the “stick-tang”, but as you’ll see, they’re not rat-tail size.  The Panawal design is the full tang khukuri and I have a couple.  They’re heavier and I’ve always found the smaller tangs balanced better and never had any concerns about being a weak-link. My oldest Himalayan Ang Khola khukuri with the buffalo horn handle has done a ton of hard chopping…zero issues.  

This is a thinner blade than my others.  My buffalo-horn handled khukuri weighs 24.6oz, the Kalish khukuri Is only 17.6oz.  This is just a comparison of what I have as I know you can get the thicker blades as they have their own version of the Ang khola.

It feels really light in the hand and you can see the more drastic curve in the handle, which I found really locks your hand in without hindering movements.  The micarta wrap is excellent, tactile, and slightly larger in girth, which I like.  

Fit and finish is excellent with one exception.  I ordered the “satin” blade finish, and I should have went with the polished finished; more of a preference than an issue.  I’ve just found the higher polished finishes are easier to maintain, it’s not about looks, just easy of maintenance.  The grinds are very symmetrical…better than some production blades I’ve seen.  

As you can see, it’s a lighter, thinner khukuri.  It won’t be as good of a chopper as the thicker Ang Khola type khukuri, but I wanted a lighter version and didn’t care much for the typical Sirupate styles.  More intended for lighter, green vegetation and chopping small wood.  I did just a little chopping on some briars and smaller branches; very handy and maneuverable and less fatiguing than the shorter, thicker khukuri.  

I will probably pick up another Kailash khukuri, but it will be with a polished blade and likely get a Kydex sheath option as well.  The price is reasonable for a traditional, hand-made, custom khukuri and the communications were awesome through the process.  Highly recommended if interested...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice Kukri .
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
i dig it.

hardware looks like brass instead of steel, no?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
i dig it.

hardware looks like brass instead of steel, no?
View Quote

@JLPettimoreIII

Good observation. I had to check it. It's "steel" not brass; just brass-colored or anodized or something, but it's definitely not brass.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice blade, the wrap likely works well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:59:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Doug_262] [#5]
I’ve been eyeing the Kailashs for awhile.
Want one of their long sirupates.  Full tang and kydex.
I like chitlanges but have to actually see/hold their updated version to know if I like it.
How do you like their micarta handle?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Doug_262:
I’ve been eyeing the Kailashs for awhile.
Want one of their long sirupates.  Full tang and kydex.
I like chitlanges but have to actually see/hold their updated version to know if I like it.
How do you like their micarta handle?
View Quote

I'm really liking it.  Good grip, and you could likely as for a slightly thicker wrap as many Khukuri handles are on the small side (this fits mine hand well).  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice knife.  I read their info and it sounds like they make a really fine Product.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
They go to all that trouble to explain why they spell it that way, and then can’t get the word “consonant” right.

Oh, the irony.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
They go to all that trouble to explain why they spell it that way, and then can’t get the word “consonant” right.

Oh, the irony.
View Quote

It's the British spelling...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t need another knife, especially another damned gorkhali chopper...

But you’re not making it easy with threads like this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Any place CONUS to get kydex sheaths for 10 inches?
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#12]
Putting this link out for good info on khukuri history and explanations on the different parts of the knife.
I found it while researching if the notch (kaudi) in the blade had any utility, or if just decorative. (Short answer is "Yes")
https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/khukuri-info

As easy on the wallet as that Kailiash Khukuri is, I am going to have to double up an order and add their Plane Jane Bowie. I been looking for a good Bowie to go on my Cap & Ball pistol belt.
https://kailashblades.com/product/plain-jane-bowie/
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey guys! Thanks very much to ROCK6 for taking the time to write up a review and thanks for all the kind words you've said about this blade of ours.

@ziarifleman Cheers for pointing out that spelling error on our "the khukuri page. I've fixed it now just for you ;)

@parrisisland1978 Glad to hear you're keen on a plain jane bowie! They're not as popular as our khukuris (as you might expect from a nepalese maker) but I think they give a lot of american blades around that pricepoint a run for their money. Regarding the cho I'm not sure I fully agree with KHHI's interpretation of what the notch might be for. Amongst the nepalese and even gurkhas themselves there's a lot of disagreement and myth making. I made a post a while ago Discussing the different theories and how plausible they are.

@ROCK6 I'd also like to confirm that it seems we made an error during making your order. To me that seems like brass hardware and not steel. I'm glad We've picked up on it here so we can make things right and find a way to make up for this mistake. I've sent a message out to the email you ordered with and hopefully we can sort things out :)

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:16:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LastRites] [#14]
@Kailashblades
Welcome Andrew, most here appreciate it when a manufacture steps in and introduces themselves as well as providing information that one cannot usually gather from a website!  Noticing that Rock may not have gotten exactly what he ordered, identifying it and wanting to make it right goes a long ways and will benefit Kailash in the long run.  It's a beautiful looking blade, been trying to figure out how I can work one into my life, lol.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kailashblades:
Hey guys! Thanks very much to ROCK6 for taking the time to write up a review and thanks for all the kind words you've said about this blade of ours.

@ziarifleman Cheers for pointing out that spelling error on our "the khukuri page. I've fixed it now just for you ;)

@parrisisland1978 Glad to hear you're keen on a plain jane bowie! They're not as popular as our khukuris (as you might expect from a nepalese maker) but I think they give a lot of american blades around that pricepoint a run for their money. Regarding the cho I'm not sure I fully agree with KHHI's interpretation of what the notch might be for. Amongst the nepalese and even gurkhas themselves there's a lot of disagreement and myth making. I made a post a while ago Discussing the different theories and how plausible they are.

@ROCK6 I'd also like to confirm that it seems we made an error during making your order. To me that seems like brass hardware and not steel. I'm glad We've picked up on it here so we can make things right and find a way to make up for this mistake. I've sent a message out to the email you ordered with and hopefully we can sort things out :)

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash.
View Quote

Now you’re making me want another Gorkhali chopper.

Shame on you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:30:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleplusgood] [#16]
I have one of those things somewhere. Ill try to find it

" />
" />" />
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Well a big kudos to Kalish Blades.  They actually found this review, found out that my bolsters were brass when I ordered steel and offered me a future discount.  Seriously, extremely pro-active customer service!  I'll have to look through and figure out what I would like next, but it will be with a Kydex sheath even though their traditional sheaths are still very good.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I blame this thread for my placing an order with them. I'm waiting on a mini at the 9" length, micarta wrap, brass fittings.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Lapp_Dance:
I blame this thread for my placing an order with them. I'm waiting on a mini at the 9" length, micarta wrap, brass fittings.
View Quote

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by their Micarta wrap.  It's quite different from the typical buffalo horn or wood handles; I really like the feel of it.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks OP. Getting a khukuri has been on my short list. Just to many “cheap” ones out there.   As soon as I looked through the catalog I knew the Scourge was for me .      

@kailashblades.  Can you tell us more about the sheaths?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I would like to know the difference in the grind of the blades of they show back up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By meistermash:
I would like to know the difference in the grind of the blades of they show back up.
View Quote

This as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#23]
How do you go about placing an order?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by their Micarta wrap.  It's quite different from the typical buffalo horn or wood handles; I really like the feel of it.

ROCK6
View Quote

cool cool.

i need to get around to ordering mine.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MaxC1776:
How do you go about placing an order?
View Quote

Pretty simple, just go their website, look through their offerings and find what suits you best.  They have a separate page that explains many of the options: Options; very detailed and well done.  I had that page opened as I went through and selected my options.

They're very quick on replying to questions as well.  Overall, a very good process and experience.  Just understand, they're custom made with about a 45 day turn-around from order to receipt.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#26]
@lastrites Thanks so much for the kind welcome!   I check the net for reviews of us every few months and my heart just dropped when I saw the brass hardware on this one. We could likely have left it lie but it's better to admit a mistake and address it openly than just try and fix it behind closed doors.
I know exactly what you mean- khukuris are big strange things and its often hard to justify taking the leap into owning one. For me I consider it similar to when you're being asked about knives from non-knife people.
"Why would I need a knife? I don't have any uses for it?"
It's only really once you have a knife and carry it that you see all the different ways it can help out. Khukuris are kind of like that too. If you're in a situation where you might bring an axe or hatchet swap it out for a khukuri and it starts to make sense. Maybe you even end up leaving your smaller fixed blade/folder at home too.

@ROCK6 Very glad that we can turn this around into a positive experience :)
I think you'll love the kydex. A big portion of our customer base are traditionally minded khukuri fans and we're turning them onto thermoplastics one by one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#27]
@BIG-DUKE-6 The khukuri market is a pretty confusing place at times. There's a lot of different makers out there with similar names, selling the exact same models and claiming to be the exclusive manufacturer for the gurkhas haha. I'm glad that you feel like you've resonated with Kailash. The Scourge and scourge anniversary are both great blades. If you're torn between them I think the anniversary is a more practical outdoors blade and a more powerful and efficient chopper. The original has a big x factor though and is extremely tough.

What would you like to know about the sheaths? Just ask away and I can help out.

General info: For user blades I suggest that people go with either western leather or kydex. This is because they're significantly tougher and have a lot better retention and carry options. Really just more practical blades that keep up with the usability of the blades themselves.
For many situations I prefer the western leather. It's a bit warmer feeling and quieter to use and feels very rugged. The kydex however is a lot slimmer, lighter, quicker and more fun to draw/store. The added possibilities of customisation with aftermarket loops and clips etc make it something which can both be more versatile or highly optimised and niche.

@Lapp_dance I'm sure in time your wallet will forgive you. That sounds like it'll be a very handle and solid little blade. I'm sure you'll love the standard dap but if you're wanting something a touch more rugged or with some different carry options we can still swap your sheaths around no worries.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#28]
@meistermash Our grinds levels are a pretty unusual feature and it's not something you see offered frequently.
On different grind levels the only change is the thickness of the final edge bevel and the amount of meat at the grind transition there. Same spine thickness, same primary grind but just more beef for blades that need it at that point or a leaner edge for those that need to bite.
Our smiths only freehand grind and sharpen so unfortunately we can't give any degrees or thousands of an inch here. Instead we inform the smith of the work we need the knife to be able to take and then they grind it to be able to handle it.
More info on the grind types and warranty levels here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By kailashblades:

@Lapp_dance I'm sure in time your wallet will forgive you. That sounds like it'll be a very handle and solid little blade. I'm sure you'll love the standard dap but if you're wanting something a touch more rugged or with some different carry options we can still swap your sheaths around no worries.

View Quote

It's very cool that you're here on AR15 to check on your customers. I appreciate the info and offer, but I'll stick with the standard sheath. I was debating coming up with a way to carry it horizontal on the back of my belt, similar to a seax.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Glad to be able to help out any way I can.
Our traditional dap does have a loop for horizontal carry, which is my preferred method for the majority of khukuris. With this said though it's often necessary to use two hands to draw though. The blade pulls out in an arc and so the tip of the sheath needs to be held to stop the whole thing from pivoting. Doing this behind the back would be a challenge but with a relatively small 9" blade and a particularly secure fit on the belt it's doable.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Received the email pictures of my blade after being forged today. Very cool to get updates like this during the order fulfillment process.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad you're enjoying the photos.
It doesn't take a lot of effort but it really helps to create a connection with the handmade process and the story behind the blades.
Take care,
Andrew
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Lapp_Dance:
Received the email pictures of my blade after being forged today. Very cool to get updates like this during the order fulfillment process.
View Quote

Yeah, it's a nice part of their customer service as you'll get updates during the forging process.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Great write up. I placed an order for the same model. I have an  old HI Kukri with a 13 mm wide blade and would like something thinner. Looking forward to trying this one out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#35]
What type of steel?
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JUDGED12carried6:
What type of steel?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2021 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#37]
What is a salyani sheath compared to traditional?  What do your steel fittings look like compared to brass?  I'm interested in a panawal and would like to know these things and your website, while detailed, could be a bit more exhaustive of what the options look like in comparison.  Also would like to see some more comparison of micarta vs. the standard rosewood.  Suggest you put some good side-by-side pics of the major options.

Can one order an extra sheath, so that I could get both a western and traditional at the same time?  Not seeing how to do that this the drop-down dialog boxes on the order page.

In any case, I think this is what I want:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRyTuKFMt7t/
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#38]
oh tag

That looks fantastic ROCK6
Polished blade in a shadow box with red velvet and a little brass plaque "In case of emergency break glass"

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 2:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kailashblades] [#39]
Got some answers for you here SWOH- sorry about it being split across multiple messages.

Salyani sheaths:

A salyani sheath is made from a very different buffalo leather. Rather than mass produced buffalo leather it's sourced from rural villages and is rubbed and cured by hand using herbs and other traditional ingredients. The end result is a beautiful, mottled look and the team also think it is slightly stronger and more resistant to rot. In my opinion the salyani sheath is great for display but the traditional dap has a bit more of a rugged frog with horizontal carry capability and is a touch more practical as a result. If you're looking for a sheath for a working blade I'd suggest going with western leather or kydex.

Better Options Info:

You can find some more info on salyani sheaths as well as rosewood vs micarta on our options info page here:
https://kailashblades.com/options-info/

We're planning to introduce a lot more detailed info into this part of our website soon (notable hardware and handle lengths) as well as get variation images working again so that on individual product pages you'll only be shown the blade lengths that you've chosen. If you're looking to make comparisons between different handle materials and finishes our instagram is your best bet currently.

Extra Sheaths:

On any knife product page you'll see a tab underneath the main tab that says "optional extras". You can then select either 1 or 2 additional sheaths and what style you'd like them in :)
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 2:42:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Brass and steel Hardware:

Steel is the toughest hardware option we offer. It is prone to tarnishing and rusting just like the blade and needs similar care, but can patina to match the blade. Its colour can range from mirror silver, a bright, light grey through to a dull/dark grey depending on if it's polished, satin or acid washed.

Brass is the next strongest and it won't corrode aggressively but will gain a patina. It's lighter than steel. Its colour can range from a golden mirror through to a bright, light yellow or a bolder less reflective gold depending on if it's polished, satin or acid washed.

Copper is very close to brass but slightly easier to scratch, with a more orangey pinkish colour that's most notable when less reflective. It also has a wider range of possible patina colours including black, pink or even blue given certain conditions.

White metal is the softest of all our hardware- a similar metal to that used in silverware platters etc. It holds a brilliant polish and doesn't dull for years but can scratch easily and is best suited for display pieces/martial options.

All of our hardware is tough enough for use outdoors and we compensate for softer or more fragile materials by beefing up stock thickness in those circumstances.

Some pictures:
White metal (satin finish)
Polished brass
Copper including pins
steel

The Panawal should be a great, tough blade, For reference the blade you linked has an indian rosewood handle, brass hardware and satin finish.
Take care,
Andrew

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Is the white metal zinc alloy (zamak) or something like German (nickle) silver?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#43]
It's neither- While it may sound vague "White metal" is the appropriate name from our understanding. Some more info for you here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_metal

It would be great to see our boys on forged in fire :)
At the same time though, the machines and techniques used are so different that we'd need to bring our own to compete I think
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#44]
You just made a sale.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:48:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kailashblades] [#45]
Nice! If you need a timeline or any order updates hit the guys at [email protected] up and they'll be sure to help you out
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#46]
My "mini" arrived yesterday. Shipping was ridiculously fast. Once I have a couple minutes of free time I'll put up some pictures. It came out even better than anticipated. I would say that cost versus value of what you receive is excellent. I ordered a "mini" from the traditional line, with the 9" blade length upgrade, brass fittings, black micarta wrap handle, and standard dap sheath. The workmanship is top-notch.

I will definitely be looking to order again in the future.

Well done Kailash Blades!

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:49:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mojo7] [#47]
OP-Nice collection of Khukuri's you have. I have been following Kailash on social media thinking about their "Mutiny" because they have so many custom options that I like. I never had a khukuri with a micarta handle. What is your opinion on that? It looks like a rough finish but I'm considering the durability of it in the long haul.  I have quite a few Khukuri's from two other khukuri houses in Kathmandu.

Thanks for posting all the pictures. I really like watching the forging process. Amazing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mojo7:
OP-Nice collection of Khukuri's you have. I have been following Kailash on social media thinking about their "Mutiny" because they have so many custom options that I like. I never had a khukuri with a micarta handle. What is your opinion on that? It looks like a rough finish but I'm considering the durability of it in the long haul.  I have quite a few Khukuri's from two other khukuri houses in Kathmandu.

Thanks for posting all the pictures. I really like watching the forging process. Amazing.
View Quote

@mojo7

I plan to order another, but the Micarta handle is sublime.  It's much more tactile and it's extremely well done from Kalish.  My next one may have slabs as I want a Panawal (slab grips on a full tang), but I really recommend getting the Micarta wrap if you go with a Kalish.  Very unique, very functional, and very well done.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Where did your order ship from? My order is shipped FedEx from Dubai. I thought these were made in Nepal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By dntama:
Where did your order ship from? My order is shipped FedEx from Dubai. I thought these were made in Nepal.
View Quote

@kailashblades will eventually show up, but I suspect it's a regional shipping process and has to go through Dubai's customs and repackaged for FEDEX.  

ROCK6
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Kailash Khukuri (Page 1 of 4)
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top