Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2023 7:33:35 PM EDT
I'm considering an MG from an Individual in another State.  It is on a Form 4 that they have already started a Form-4 to Form-3 with their local dealer can help with a transfer.  After that it can e-file Form3 and then the buyer can have it more quickly to their dealer and then Wait again for Form-3 to 4.

What is the current situation and turn around time (estimates) on a seller Form-4 transferring to Dealer Form3 time? is it up to a year for that? or is it quicker as it is going to a Dealer.  Kind of a deal killer if its up to a year for initial transfer before it can be shipped out of state.

Thanks for any info anyone can offer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
I'm considering an MG from an Individual in another State.  It is on a Form 4 that they have already started a Form-4 to Form-3 with their local dealer can help with a transfer.  After that it can e-file Form3 and then the buyer can have it more quickly to their dealer and then Wait again for Form-3 to 4.

What is the current situation and turn around time (estimates) on a seller Form-4 transferring to Dealer Form3 time? is it up to a year for that? or is it quicker as it is going to a Dealer.  Kind of a deal killer if its up to a year for initial transfer before it can be shipped out of state.

Thanks for any info anyone can offer.
View Quote

I did two MG transfers to dealer last year, one I bought that was on a form 4 out of state, one that I sold that I had on a form 4 here and the buyer was out of state.  In both cases the form 4 to the dealer was approved in a little less than 3 months.  Hopefully that trend will continue for you this year.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hawkin] [#2]
I sold my colt M16 and from me to dealer took right at 2 months. (Paper)

Dealer to dealer form 3 took 3 weeks. (efile)
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hawkin:
I sold my colt M16 and from me to dealer took right at 2 months.

Dealer to dealer form 3 took 3 weeks.
View Quote

@hawkin

Was that 3/3 efile or paper, do you know?

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hawkin] [#4]
@ggllggll

efile
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Any update on how long this form 4 individual to dealer took? I’m buying an MG from out of state so just wondering. The form 4 from the individual to the dealer selling the item was submitted a couple weeks ago.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cherenkov] [#6]
Funny - I just got my Form-4 on my MG approved 2 weeks ago So 5 months

At least my dealer let me use it on their range while it was in NFA jail.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:35:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rome07jk] [#7]
My dealer to dealer was right at 7 days last year (efile form 3) my buddy has had half a dozen form 4 individual to individuals come through in about 3 months but a few other form 4 to dealer take 6 months. It’s kind of all over the board right now for everything. I had 2 suppressors take 250 days, a form 1 take 98, a form 3 machingun take 120 day and a form 1 take 9 days over the last year.

EDIT: sorry I left off the answer to your main question. Yes a form 4 to dealer then efile form 3 to you could add an additional year to your wait unfortunately. I searched and just pulled the trigger on a MG that was already on a dealer form 3, I was shooting it at my dealers a week later.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:35:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: the1919man] [#8]
Man, I hope it doesn’t take six months. That would suck. I just want to be able to inspect and shoot what I’m trying to buy! Once there is some closure there and it’s just waiting safely at my in-state dealer my anxiety will be lower.

This is a Group Industries BAR. They’re known for some QC issues, and while the pictures look good I just hope it doesn’t have off-center cuts in the receiver for the slide, or any hidden cracks/ repairs. It’s been one-owner since new in 1985 so should be fine, but you never know. Just don’t want to have to wait six months only to find something that would prevent me from buying it.

Really wish I could just buy a new one from Ohio Ordnance.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By the1919man:
Man, I hope it doesn’t take six months. That would suck. I just want to be able to inspect and shoot what I’m trying to buy! Once there is some closure there and it’s just waiting safely at my in-state dealer my anxiety will be lower.

This is a Group Industries BAR. They’re known for some QC issues, and while the pictures look good I just hope it doesn’t have off-center cuts in the receiver for the slide, or any hidden cracks/ repairs. It’s been one-owner since new in 1985 so should be fine, but you never know. Just don’t want to have to wait six months only to find something that would prevent me from buying it.

Really wish I could just buy a new one from Ohio Ordnance.
View Quote

You could wait until its on a form 3 and have it sent it to dealer to shoot and inspect? We did it with a 28 Thompson about a year ago. Buddy shot it, inspected it and bought it. Other option is going out to see it, buying MGs is a pain in the ass but all the MGs guys I know are super lenient on buying and selling because they know the process.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:45:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: the1919man] [#10]
Originally Posted By rome07jk:

You could wait until its on a form 3 and have it sent it to dealer to shoot and inspect? We did it with a 28 Thompson about a year ago. Buddy shot it, inspected it and bought it. Other option is going out to see it, buying MGs is a pain in the ass but all the MGs guys I know are super lenient on buying and selling because they know the process.
View Quote

It’s with an individual in VA, the dealer is in MO and I’m in TX. 50% of purchase price was required up front, form 4 is being processed to get it to the dealer in MO. As soon as it gets to the dealer in Missouri (Midwest Tactical), I will go inspect it/ shoot it and if I don’t like what I see I’ll get my money back.

Don’t know the seller, but if we get to April and haven’t heard from the BATF I may try to meet him directly.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Just had a paper F4 to my dealer in under 3 months.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Just had 2 transfers (F4 to Dealer) come back at 3 months (11/27/23 to 2/26/24).  Before that, had one that took just over 2 months (12/4/23 to 2/9/24).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top