Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2024 9:33:18 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been addressed frequently, but couldn't find anything via search.  Can an IL resident purchase a suppressor in WI? It would be stored with a trusted family member and only used in WI.  Asking for a friend, but we can pretend it's me if that's easier.

I'm assuming that because it's not legal in their home state, a dealer cannot transfer an NFA item to them.

I understand a trust would alleviate a lot of the issue, but with the current wait times, an invidividual application is much more appealing.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe you could do that without a trust and the WI resident would have to be on it.
Not entirely sure on this subject though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You can only buy a NFA item in the state which you reside.
You could get a trust, have someone from WI on the trust and they buy the items in the trust. If you are a trustee, you have just as much "ownership" over the item as they do once its in the trust. Just make sure the trust is registered in WI.
Now every time something is purchased for the trust, ALL the trustees (responsible persons) must do the background checks and submit fingerprints.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SCARed:
You can only buy a NFA item in the state which you reside.
You could get a trust, have someone from WI on the trust and they buy the items in the trust. If you are a trustee, you have just as much "ownership" over the item as they do once its in the trust. Just make sure the trust is registered in WI.
Now every time something is purchased for the trust, ALL the trustees (responsible persons) must do the background checks and submit fingerprints.
View Quote

This is what I had assumed was the case.  Hopefully ATF get their act together and speeds up the trust wait times like they did with the individual forms.  Thanks .
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
How would that work to name someone on a trust who resides in a prohibited state?

Would that get the application denied?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top