Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2024 4:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redfish86]
Un freakin believable

Got the email, got excited, then read the form. Nope, that’s not the suppressor I purchased.  

So now I’m approved on someone else’s gear. That has to be rescinded, and God only knows what the status of the form for the can I actually purchased is.

This whole process is a damned clusterfuck.

Let’s not forget about the poor bastard who thought his shit was in the que to be approved. Now he’ll be back at the end of the line as well.

Edit to add:  I “asked the experts” on the site, maybe they’ll take pity on me and push my approval through on my actual can.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#1]
Was the entire form wrong, like it had someone else's name and address and everything?  Or was it your info but with the wrong info just for the can?

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Was the entire form wrong, like it had someone else's name and address and everything?  Or was it your info but with the wrong info just for the can?

View Quote

Everything was me except for the make, model, and S/N of the can. It’s unexplainable as when I was on the phone w my FFL doing the certification, I checked everything and it was all correct.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe it's the two im waiting 54weeks for
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Did your FFL submit a paper or electronic Form 4?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By flcracker:
View Quote

EForm 4
Vis silencer shop
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:37:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#6]
Tag for updates. If you are positive you checked the info and it was correct when filing and certifying, then I'm curious to see how they resolve this. I would be amazed if you don't have to start the process over.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
Tag for updates. If you are positive you checked the info and it was correct when filing and certifying, then I'm curious to see how they resolve this. I would be amazed if you don't have to start the process over.
View Quote

I’m 99% certain I went through every box when I was on the phone with my FFL doing the certification

Having said that…

I think that was my 20+th attempt at the certification so I suppose I could have been lazy and skipped a box as I scanned it (that’s the reason for me being only 99%). After the second or third attempt at certification, it gets to be a pain in the ass and a bit rote.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
You should have gotten an email from SS once the efile was submitted with the form you filled out. You can go back and check it. You should also be able to go on the SS website and see the submitted form. I’d go back and check and see what all that has on it. You also may want to call, email or chat with SS and confirm they sent the right stuff…
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
What does the original submitted/in process email form show?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bballman25:
You should have gotten an email from SS once the efile was submitted with the form you filled out. You can go back and check it. You should also be able to go on the SS website and see the submitted form. I’d go back and check and see what all that has on it. You also may want to call, email or chat with SS and confirm they sent the right stuff…
View Quote

I got an email but like a dumbass, I didn’t print the submitted form. I did finally did print it out yesterday when I discovered all of this and yup, it’s for a Hybrid, not a Trash Panda.

I spoke to silencer shop, they said my form has been submitted for the trash panda, same as what my FFL said. I’ll call ATF tomorrow to confirm. I haven’t received a response from ask the experts yet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
What a mess…
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
By the way, the time elapsed between the incorrect submittal, and the email for the incorrect approval was 98 days.

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you still have the email from when you submitted? Does that form have the correct info on it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Does your FFL have that other can in inventory?

I'm still trying to figure out if this is an FFL or a silencer shop issue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Me too. Sounds like he purchased can A, but the form was submitted and approved for can B.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Supposedly both of the suppressors are in their possession (FFL).

I emailed with ATF yesterday and it turns out that the Form 4 for the can I purchased has NOT been submitted.

I have no idea whose issue it is as my FFL and the guy on the phone at silencer shop both told me their computer shows it was submitted. (FFL even brought me in the office and showed me it says “submitted”)

It’s a total clusterfuck at this point
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:28:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aksahsalahs] [#18]
Originally Posted By mak0:
Do you still have the email from when you submitted? Does that form have the correct info on it?
View Quote

This.

I'd bet the submitted email that you and your dealer received at submission has the wrong can on it. (edit: saw that you said the submitted has the wrong can on it.)

More than likely the dealer fat-fingered and assigned the wrong can to you can to you, and it got submitted that way. That would also be why Silencer Shop is saying it has been submitted because they have a record of it (the wrong one) being submitted. Was this a Purchase from Silencer Shop directly or the dealer who handled the transfer?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:00:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#19]
If your FFL has the other can in inventory,

Then that means the form was filled out incorrectly and submitted. He had to enter that cans info on a form. Agree with the above poster about silencershop saying it was submitted. Because it was.

But yeah it sounds like your FFL inputted the wrong info and your the new owner of a can you didn't want. This is a shitty situation.

Keep us posted because I've never seen this before and want to know the end result. I'm sorry to say that I don't think there's an easy fix and I believe you will at a minimum have to resubmit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:35:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BASE] [#20]
I had a similar situation happen a few years back. How my my dealer did it is still not 100% clear to me, this was back prior to electronic stuff. I had no real desire to own one of the little tiny tirant 9mm cans but just decided to roll with it. Not sure how he handled the other guy. That little can isn't too impressive but it found a home on my nightstand gun and I guess it's grown on me a little.

This was a smaller shop and the owner is kind of a friend, so I did get some mileage out of it. Haven't had to pay for a transfer in years.

I had quite a few cans already and the ones I had ordered were all backups for backups so I could see how someone in a different situation might not have taken it as well. Having to start all over is a punch in the nuts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BASE:
I had a similar situation happen a few years back. How my my dealer did it is still not 100% clear to me, this was back prior to electronic stuff. I had no real desire to own one of the little tiny tirant 9mm cans but just decided to roll with it. Not sure how he handled the other guy. That little can isn't too impressive but it found a home on my nightstand gun and I guess it's grown on me a little.

This was a smaller shop and the owner is kind of a friend, so I did get some mileage out of it. Haven't had to pay for a transfer in years.

I had quite a few cans already and the ones I had ordered were all backups for backups so I could see how someone in a different situation might not have taken it as well. Having to start all over is a punch in the nuts.
View Quote

I figured the easiest way to resolve this as the FFL holder is to try and refund the difference and see if he wants the other can because it's already approved to him and ready to go.

As far as the ATF is concerned, the individual is supposed to verify the info is correct at every step. While the FFLs are pretty helpful these days, especially with silencershop, the verification and submission is really on the individual applying. Not trying to attack the OP, thats just based on my experiences with the ATF. So I'm not sure the ATF will do anything. But I am curious to know OP.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]

I figured the easiest way to resolve this as the FFL holder is to try and refund the difference and see if he wants the other can because it's already approved to him and ready to go.

As far as the ATF is concerned, the individual is supposed to verify the info is correct at every step. While the FFLs are pretty helpful these days, especially with silencershop, the verification and submission is really on the individual applying. Not trying to attack the OP, thats just based on my experiences with the ATF. So I'm not sure the ATF will do anything. But I am curious to know OP.
View Quote

And I agree completely.  I’m 99% sure I did read every box when we were on the phone certifying.  However, I suppose that it’s possible that maybe I just didn’t read the make and S/N  this time as I had tried this same certification numerous times.  

When there’s doubt in my mind my default position is to blame myself for errors and omissions, I just don’t feel I did this time but short of me having recorded my screen, I just can’t be 100-%.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, now the FFL is saying they messed it up and are going to resubmit

Fuck me.  I won’t get this damn thing in my hands until 2025

This will be my last EForm 4, it’s been nothing but a clusterfuck from day 1.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By redfish86:

View Quote

Don’t go through silencershop next time. I waited for a dealer for 2 months to submit paperwork before I had the cans sent to another dealer. She does Eform 4 and knows her shit well. Everything was taken care of and submitted for three suppressors and two responsible persons in one trip.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

What about the other can.

you're already approved for it.

Your FFL will have to transfer it back to himself and he won't be exempt for the individual transfer he's going to have to pay $200. Curious what his plan is with that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
The FFL can cancel form 4 if the silencer hasn't been disposed.
View Quote

This is what is in process.

I still don’t like my name being associated with something which is not in my control. Yeah, I’m sure the form 4 will get canceled but you never know. Somewhere there will be a footnote in my name forever.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:20:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redfish86] [#28]
I just received an email that the correct suppressor has been approved, I’ll head to my FFL tomorrow to see if that’s accurate

Edit:  nope.  The email states that the correct suppressor (has correct serial number, etc) was approved but the approved form 4 attached to the email is still for the incorrect suppressor

What a shit show.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#29]
I just received an email that the correct suppressor has been approved, I’ll head to my FFL tomorrow to see if that’s accurate

Edit:  nope.  The email states that the correct suppressor (has correct serial number, etc) was approved but the approved form 4 attached to the email is still for the incorrect suppressor

What a shit show.
View Quote

Bizarre.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:17:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#30]

EForm 4
Vis silencer shop
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flcracker:

EForm 4
Vis silencer shop

This is why I fill my own forms out.  Mail my shit on form 3 to MY LOCAL dealer, I fill out my portion of the Form 4 and give him the peperwork to finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top