Posted: 11/15/2023 10:24:33 PM EDT
Submitted a Form 1 this morning.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Red dot, threaded barrel, and a silencer and you are golden pony boy
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:22:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#2]
Way ahead of you.  

This is my MS Paint mock-up.  8.5" barrel, threaded of course. Front sight from an M1 Carbine, with proper barrel key lock/fitment, just like a real M1 front sight.  Barrel with have to be turned down a touch...ID of the M1 sight is 0.58".  Might have to inlet the stock a touch, but I don't think I will.  Use the rear leaf sight dovetail to mount an old Trijicon red dot sight I've had laying around for a long time.  Turns out the dovetail on an S&W M&P rear sight is pretty close...rear dovetail optics plate ordered that I can mill off a few thousands to make it fit. I might end up custom making something from scratch, but $22 on Amazon is worth a shot in the dark.
Finally, Tech Sight makes an adjustable rear sight that fits the 11mm dovetail of the receiver. I'm playing with the idea of getting a real M1 Carbine rear sight, and milling a new dovetail in the rear of the receiver...I'll have to see how that would measure up.

I might do something crazy, and mount QD flush cups in the stock for a sling.  

Anyways...I just though it would be a cool little fun toy.  

And, if anyone has a spare 452 Scout stock laying around and wants to sell it, I'd be interested.

Link Posted: 11/16/2023 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a fun little project
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
Way ahead of you.  

This is my MS Paint mock-up.  8.5" barrel, threaded of course. Front sight from an M1 Carbine, with proper barrel key lock/fitment, just like a real M1 front sight.  Barrel with have to be turned down a touch...ID of the M1 sight is 0.58".  Might have to inlet the stock a touch, but I don't think I will.  Use the rear leaf sight dovetail to mount an old Trijicon red dot sight I've had laying around for a long time.  Turns out the dovetail on an S&W M&P rear sight is pretty close...rear dovetail optics plate ordered that I can mill off a few thousands to make it fit. I might end up custom making something from scratch, but $22 on Amazon is worth a shot in the dark.
Finally, Tech Sight makes an adjustable rear sight that fits the 11mm dovetail of the receiver. I'm playing with the idea of getting a real M1 Carbine rear sight, and milling a new dovetail in the rear of the receiver...I'll have to see how that would measure up.

I might do something crazy, and mount QD flush cups in the stock for a sling.  

Anyways...I just though it would be a cool little fun toy.  

And, if anyone has a spare 452 Scout stock laying around and wants to sell it, I'd be interested.

https://i.imgur.com/xtZ3GZG.jpg
View Quote

So damn beautiful

I want a spare 452 scout to do that to
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I was able to locate a spare stock from a nice gentleman on Rimfire Central.  

I have an idea of how to create a 'take down' stock that I want to play with, so I needed a spare.  If my takedown idea works, I'm also going to refinish and paint the stock black, maybe some gray splatter like a HS Precision painted stock....maybe something different, I don't know...I'm just having fun with the project.  

The standard wood stock I have on the rifle now is getting dual sided QD flush cups on the rear and a threaded Grovtech QD flush cup on the forend bottom. I'm going to use an M1 Carbine sling...which should look cool.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Added some QD flush cups from GrovTech...they are externally threaded for installing into wood, plastic, etc.  They are pretty neat...easy to install with a few tools.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I should buy an old single shot 22, chop it down to 10 in and thread it, have it drilled and tapped for bases and do the QD cups like you have done.

It would be an awesome “bang around” rifle
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#8]
That's the plan.  It will make a very nice 'carry around the woods' rifle. It's going to be just over 26" OAL.  

I had a chance to dry fit an M1 Carbine front site;  I pulled out the OEM front sight hood and dovetail...boy, that hood is on there pretty tight. The ID of an M1 Carbine front sight is 0.58", which just so happens to to fit nicely over the muzzle.  I also got the TechSight 11mm dovetail sight that fits right onto the rear dovetail base.  It pairs perfectly with the M1 Carbine front sight.  If I were going to keep the gun at 16", this is how I would run the rifle.  Thread the muzzle, and it's good to go.  

But, at least for now it serves as a proof of concept success....the new rear TechSight and the M1 front sight align perfectly on the laser bore sight.  I'm going to have to reduce the OD of the barrel to fit the ID of the front sight, but that's easy enough to do while I'm threading it after my Form 1 clears.

But I want it shorter. And I can...we have the technology.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]
That’s a very cool project. I’ve got a 452 with the 16” threaded barrel and it’s very handy (and quiet) with a can. The factory thread was an odd size though so I did need to use an adapter
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a nice project, nice little rifle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have secured a spare/backup stock from a nice guy on RimfireCentral.  

I have two ideas I want to try out:

1. A take-down stock. I need to find a good way (or a gunsmith shop...or a stock maker....if anyone knows anyone, please let me know) to drill a long 12" hole into the stock, at a specific angle so I can try out an idea for a QD socket take-down idea.
2. One or two refinishing/repainting ideas. I'm open to ideas, let me know what you got!

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool looking build and clean looking work. Tagged.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
eForm1 approved today.  22 days, not to shabby for .gov workers.

Now, it's off to be cut, threaded, and machined for the M1 Carbine front sight.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
eForm1 approved today.  22 days, not to shabby for .gov workers.

Now, it's off to be cut, threaded, and machined for the M1 Carbine front sight.
View Quote
Congrats!

Who are you getting to do the gunsmith work?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Congrats!

Who are you getting to do the gunsmith work?
View Quote

Wright Armory in Mesa Arizona.  Great full service shop (general gunsmith, CNC optic cuts for slides, Cerakote, etc) local to me that does a ton of gunsmithing work from all over.  They've done excellent work for me over the years. And a 12 minute drive from my house, so I've got that going for me....which is nice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Phase 1 is complete; barrel threaded.  

Next step is to refinish the stock.  Plan is to remove the existing finish, Old Master's Carbon Black stain, then sponge paint dark and lighter grey camo pattern...kind of what the Manner's CZ Trainer stock looks like, but different colors.

I've also reconsidered the M1 carbine sights...I'm leaning towards flat topping the rear 11mm dovetail and direct mounting a Holosun 407K.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Why not go with 5" barrel? That should keep most HV ammo subsonic, and be shorter OAL.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By manowar669:
Why not go with 5" barrel? That should keep most HV ammo subsonic, and be shorter OAL.
View Quote

Why not a 4" barrel?  I don't like the look, I don't like the stock inletting it would require, and the shortest OAL isn't my goal.  

I like the look better, and I only shoot subsonic ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Why not a 4" barrel?  I don't like the look, I don't like the stock inletting it would require, and the shortest OAL isn't my goal.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Don't listen to that person

Rifle is drop dead sexy
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#20]
That’s an awesome rifle OP
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Why not go with 5" barrel? That should keep most HV ammo subsonic...
View Quote

My 4" bbl still goes supersonic with HV.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:41:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#22]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:

My 4" bbl still goes supersonic with HV.
View Quote

There's more variables than just the barrel length.
Atmospheric pressure, temperature, elevation.

My 4.5" sbr keeps every bulk pack ammo I've tried in it thats 1300fps or slower subsonic.
A good concincus is that a 4.5" barrel will keep most bulk pack ammo and 1300fps ammo subsonic in normal conditions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice build!
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Just shoot sub sonic ammo...then it will always be sub sonic. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Just shoot sub sonic ammo...then it will always be sub sonic. Problem solved.
View Quote

For your application that makes a lot of sense. One of the reasons I like my little SR22 is that bulk pack stays subsonic. When ammo was crazy and it was all close to the same price it made less difference. Hopefully it gets backs to all being cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Phase 1 is complete; barrel threaded.  

https://i.imgur.com/93UY5Jl.jpg

Next step is to refinish the stock.  Plan is to remove the existing finish, Old Master's Carbon Black stain, then sponge paint dark and lighter grey camo pattern...kind of what the Manner's CZ Trainer stock looks like, but different colors.

I've also reconsidered the M1 carbine sights...I'm leaning towards flat topping the rear 11mm dovetail and direct mounting a Holosun 407K.
View Quote

Nah, strip the stock, spray on bedliner, then camo as you see fit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#27]
Originally Posted By Deanventure:

Nah, strip the stock, spray on bedliner, then camo as you see fit.
View Quote

I'm listening...never thought of using bed liner as a base coat.  Is this something you have done?

Another person also gave me the idea of dissolving 0000 steel wool into apple cider vinegar, and using that for a stain...apparently it is very dark.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:23:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#28]
For those of you who are interested in the velocity lost;

Ammo Type           FPS Avg 16"     FPS Avg 8.5"   Delta
CCI Standard               1048               1012         -36
Remington Sub Sonic    1085              1016          -69
Federal Auto Match       1190              1177          -13

Not too bad for losing half the barrel length.  CCI Standard will be the ammo I use for this rifle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#29]
For those of you who are interested in the velocity lost;

Ammo Type           FPS Avg 16"     FPS Avg 8.5"   Delta
CCI Standard               1048               1012         -36
Remington Sub Sonic    1085              1016          -69
Federal Auto Match       1190              1177          -13

Not too bad for losing half the barrel length.  CCI Standard will be the ammo I use for this rifle.
View Quote

That’s not bad at all! Totally worth the barrel chop IMO
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#30]

I'm listening...never thought of using bed liner as a base coat.  Is this something you have done?

Another person also gave me the idea of dissolving 0000 steel wool into apple cider vinegar, and using that for a stain...apparently it is very dark.
View Quote

Yep, I've done this several times. Very durable. Test it out on a 2x4 to get your spray distance correct. Start further away than you think you should. Texture improves with distance.
Let it cure for several days after spraying.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Deanventure:

Yep, I've done this several times. Very durable. Test it out on a 2x4 to get your spray distance correct. Start further away than you think you should. Texture improves with distance.
Let it cure for several days after spraying.
View Quote

Any recommendations on a brand of spray?  There are soooo many out there..which one is best?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:52:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#32]
Done.  

Added a new front sight, a Williams Shorty with red fiber optic (set with epoxy) and a Tech Sight rear sight. Flat black Rustoleum textured spray paint with Behr Imperial Gray and Elemental Gray flat paint, sponged on. Glades Armory bolt handle and Atlasworxs trigger guard.

I'd love to track down some Aguilla Super Colibri rounds or Super Sniper Subs, but it's already stupid quiet with CCI Standard or Remington Sub Sonic.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks great!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Got to the range today...it actually shoots better than it did with the full 16.5" barrel!

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Bad ass!! It always makes me sad when I see stuff like this because it makes so much sense and we'd see a lot more of it were the NFA not around.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#36]
pretty damn impressive ALL around!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top