Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2024 5:35:41 PM EDT
I'd rather like to get a PCP gun. When shopping on Pyramid Air I can filter by Loudness. I'm curious, how loud or quiet are these? I'd definitely like something at least as quiet as a suppressed rimfire gun since thats what I have now for pest control. But I think a PCP would be a bit better suited to that task. Considering the Venturi Avenger but its loudness is a Medium. How does that compare to suppressed rimfire?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Without an LDC  (lead dust collector) AKA  (suppressor)  they can be pretty loud.  About 3/4 that of a 22 long rifle and as they go up in caliber, they fly by a 22 and equal many powder burners.

So if you get one, do some research on suppressors (LDC's) and screw it on.

Remember, an air rifle is not considered a firearm in most free states.  The designed for air guns only suppressor will only work with an air gun.  A powder burner will blow it apart.  Therefore no tax stamp (as of today) is needed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The benchmark for quiet pcp airguns has been and still is the Benjamin Marauder.  That is what you should compare the various offerings to.  Granted, there are now other guns which are even quieter than the Marauder, so when comparing, see how the company ranks the Marauder.

To give a bit of perspective, the pellet hitting a squirrel at 20 yards will make more noise to you as the shooter than the Marauder's muzzle report. A pellet striking a wood fence is substantially louder yet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Some can be extremely quiet. Weihrauch HW110 carbine and HW44 pistol, both came with moderator from factory, are as quiet as my quietest rimfires suppressed. I have been playing with a BRK Ghost HP in 22 lately. Ghost is not as quiet moderated but also much more powerful. All three PCPs have been excellent in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to add, yes PCP have been excellent for pest control for me. I have come to like them better than suppressed rimfire for anything up to coyote sized vermin. And I would be comfortable using the BRK Ghost or another PCP in that accuracy/power range on coyote.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:25:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RodMI] [#5]
They are hearing safe quiet and replaced 22LR in my stables. Spend some cash on one you won't regret it save for a good air compressor they are pricey to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bandhunter] [#6]
Hammer spring is louder than my .25 cal shot.  The pellet contact on target is the loudest part.

Ping….THACK!

Edit:  Thats integrally moderated.  No moderator then loud
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProfessorFalken] [#7]
Without a suppressor, they are shockingly loud I'd say. Nearly like shooting a .22lr.

Suppressed, they are very quiet.

I haven't shot mine in a long while, but I remember showing friends the difference between suppressed and unsuppressed. Everybody present was surprised.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
My Impact M3 in .25 is just as loud as a .22 LR.  The fact is  my wife won't let me shoot it in the house again, even with the suppressor!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
LOUD
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Benjamin Bulldog M357 in .35 that’s very loud. I bought a Donny FL moderator for it because it is so loud. The moderator toned it down substantially but it’s still not quiet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an Air Venturi Avenger Bullpup and with a 3D printed suppressor the loudest thing is the pellet hitting the target. It was fairly loud before that, but is definitely backyard friendly now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:29:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: criminalpoet] [#12]
PCP air rifles are extremely quiet when suppressed and more powerful than most would think. I have them in 22 cal as well as 308 cal and drop everything on my properties from ground squirrels to coyote's. In fact, it was coyote problems that kind of motivated me to get into air rifles in the first place. They were coming into my yard and going after my little dog and so I needed something that I could legally use to kill them within city/county limits. Both 22 cal and 308 cal do the job but of course 308 cal is better for the coyotes. Just prepare to really open your wallet because these PCP's can cost more than actual firearms.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#13]
@criminalpoet

To give me some perspective, can you ball park the price of your two rigs in your photos. Please, include glass and compressor.

You said more expensive than firearms, I believe it just looking at them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By efxguy:
@criminalpoet

To give me some perspective, can you ball park the price of your two rigs in your photos. Please, include glass and compressor.

You said more expensive than firearms, I believe it just looking at them.
View Quote

All of mine are FX M3's and they range from 2000-2500 just for the rifle. Optics, bi-pods etc are up to you according to your budget. The bullpup in the pic is around 3800 to build and the longer barrel one is a 5k build. Feel free to message me if you need advice on building one up. What you plan on shooting with it will determine the caliber you choose.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#15]
My Air Force Texan in .308 is about as loud as a .22 short.  It makes my ears ring a bit if I shoot it without earpro, which is why I don't.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#16]
My very heavily modded Wildcat is so quiet it actually sucks surrounding noise into the can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top