Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2023 3:40:00 PM EDT
Well Having recently moved to Iowa, I'm looking at trying my hand at muzzle loading hunting.

I wouldn't say my experience with muzzle loaders is extremely high, but I am familiar with safely loading and shooting a muzzle loader, but past that I am not well versed in the art/science of shooting muzzle loaders.

I am not opposed either way to modern inline or a traditional cap lock gun. However I am leaning away from a modern inline. Preferably id like something capable of shooting conical bullets, I'd like to stay away from patched round balls for hunting.

I am currently "looking" at the Pedersoli Kodiak Express MKIII or VI, As well as the knights Inline and some of the higher end CVA Stuff. If I can I'd like to avoid the lower end start rifles that come in the plastic starter packs like you can get Cabela's or something. Even if I don't get into hunting full time, I'd still like a nice range toy. But I also feel like getting a double is a massive learning curve that goes with it due to the funkyness of double rifles.

So what can y'all recommend?

Scott
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
This year I was given a CVA Wolf .50 caliber scoped rifle. It has a sewer pipe bore from sitting a year after firing with zero barrel cleaning. Turns out it shoots 100 grain pyrodex pellets and powerbelts  as well as any muzzle loader I have owned. I like the removable breech plug for unloading without firing and the 209 primers work well. Those rifles can be purchased for around 300 bux and for a starter it's a fine rifle. It handles well in the woods plus the length of a break action is nice in a blind.
A rifle at twice the price may or may not perform the same. Just my .02 Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
May want to check state/local regulations and see whats allowed  as far as "modern,traditional,etc". If you haven't already.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LittleAugieMo:
May want to check state/local regulations and see whats allowed  as far as "modern,traditional,etc". If you haven't already.
View Quote

Just trying to navigate my way through to the world of BP Firearms.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:41:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#4]
I have no idea why you would want to steer clear of patched round balls for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Points listed above are good advise....

my 2 cents...

Modern muzzleloader the cva wolf or optima is more than enough for the price point.

If you can use buckhorn powder its a dream to shoot due to mutli rounds without cleaning the weapon is really nice..

old school hammer/flintlock..

2Fg powder works really well followed with the pellets. I'm not a real pellet fan but they work..

look for Investarms is heavier well built muzzleloader these were what lyman used for there line back in the day.

50cal is the standard with 1/66 would be ideal for round ball.

The 1/48 can do both round ball or minie but its a trades off with the 1/48..

54 cal is better with round balls (knock down but 50 cal does punch hard).
Its harder to find componets in 54 cal.

Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OKnativeson] [#6]
if you want an Inline for hunting...
I have 7-8 Inlines, now. I'm a huge BP Buff and shoot them year round.

the Knight Disc Extreme .50 is hands down the best one in the stable. its been my hunting rifle for almost 20 years now, when I'm not using my Cap and Ball Renegade.

find a used one in good shape on Gunbroker.
they are bulletproof.

100 gr/volume of 777, 777 primer and the Federal BOR bullet is the killing device you seek.
mine is sighted in for 100 yards.

always use a granulated powder instead of a Pellet. no matter what type you use.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:
I have no idea why you would want to steer clear of patched round balls for hunting.
View Quote

a patched round ball is a total killing monster.
60gr of BP and a round ball will shoot thru the front shoulder and exit the ass end on a whitetail at 70-80 yards. a complete transversing channel.

very underrated, kills and penetrates a helluva lot more than anything written about it.

my goal is to take an Elk with my .54 Hawken and a round ball one day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top