Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2024 4:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kisara]
I bought these two used mags in 2020 from the EE.  When they arrived in the mail, I checked them and they looked good (No rust).   I put them back in the plastic bubble wrap they were shipped in and stored them in a bedroom closet, untouched since then.  This week I pull them out and one has some surface rust forming.  Any tips on removing the rust?  

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Oil - some say Kroil. Steel scrubbie from Dollar Store.
Gentle and wet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
These are what we use at the shop in which I work:
Frontier Pads

A little oil and one of these will do an awesome job and not harm the surrounding bluing.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
An old penny, as in mostly copper will rub it off. I had great success with this on an Ithaca 37 receiver. Didn't remove the bluing. Look into it and you'll see it's been a thing for years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use oil and a brass brush
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Kroil and either copper wool or a piece of copper wire in a loop and rub in a circular pattern. It’s not perfect but is the best to not hurt the bluing and get that rust out of there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#6]
oil and fine steel wool.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#7]
If oil and steel wool does not work.

You can boil them in distilled water for 30 minutes each. This renders red oxide inert.
Soak in Kerosene to displace water
Oil them and card them.

It won't hurt bluing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Gotta say I am a fan
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fullmedaljacket8:
I just use oil and a brass brush
View Quote

I used to use steel wool.  Now I find the brass brush and oil a better solution.  They also make evapo-rust, but I've never used it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#9]
Evaporust will remove the black oxide of the mag. Better to use the other methods detailed above.

I like a copper or brass brush and kroil.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I just neverdull any item rusted.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Evaporust works great, but as has been noticed, it damages bluing. I'd just evaporust soak and scrub off a coiple times and then parkerize, but i realize not everyone has a home parking setup available.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]
FPNI
I like 0000 steel wool and a liberal amount of any oil (motor oil is great). Rub tiny circles until it comes off. Keep flushing with fresh oil and change the pad's rub area so you're not rubbing stuff back into the surrounding/remaining finish as the rust comes off.

The issue with copper or brass is that it often transfers onto the finish, and then you have copper or brass to rub off of there. The extra fine steel wool + oil is a "one and done" and it's less effort than boiling and carding (which works great also).
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
FPNI
I like 0000 steel wool and a liberal amount of any oil (motor oil is great). Rub tiny circles until it comes off. Keep flushing with fresh oil and change the pad's rub area so you're not rubbing stuff back into the surrounding/remaining finish as the rust comes off.

The issue with copper or brass is that it often transfers onto the finish, and then you have copper or brass to rub off of there. The extra fine steel wool + oil is a "one and done" and it's less effort than boiling and carding (which works great also).
View Quote

I'd have to disagree with a single part. "Any" motor oil will not do. You must use a penetrant/water displacing oil to do this correctly. If your oil does not penetrate properly, the steel will keep rusting underneath your oil layer no matter how much you scub off.

Rremember, oil floats on water, unless you use something to pull all of the moisture out and cease the corrosion process, ut will just keep going.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Bronze wool will work better than steel wool.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By APSArmament:
I'd have to disagree with a single part. "Any" motor oil will not do. You must use a penetrant/water displacing oil to do this correctly. If your oil does not penetrate properly, the steel will keep rusting underneath your oil layer no matter how much you scub off.

Rremember, oil floats on water, unless you use something to pull all of the moisture out and cease the corrosion process, ut will just keep going.
View Quote
New rust will keep forming if any remains (since it produces its own oxygen and is already in contact with iron = iron oxide aka rust) so during the scrubbing you do have to physically remove all of the rust.

Penetrating the rust with oil, and having oil in there hanging out with any remaining rust, isn't going to save it from rusting more in the future. It might look ok visually though (like be all black) but that's not good enough IMHO.

You're absolutely right that some oils are better for this than others. Kroil is excellent.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]
This is why I spray my mags with Hornady One Shot or Eezox
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top