Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2024 2:56:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#1]
Yes, I knew people in MA with MGs when I lived there. Harvard Sportsmans Club has, or at least had, a full auto committee. Pretty sure an old friend down in MA still has one. Haven't talked to him in a while.

My guess is that it's like a license to carry. It really depends on the town you live in and the chief of police.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a buddy who lives in MA, who currently has about 20-25 pre-86 NIB M16's.
He had bought them all way back long before 86', when he was single.

He'd also sold off about 10 in the early 2010's, to pay for his kids' college.
No, I'm not in his will.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Is he a plumbing contractor who recently moved?
I saw a guys collection last summer, good God almighty.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It is my understanding that the "NFA card " is required for use of any NFA item in Massachusetts, including Law Enforcement in the performance of their duty. So over 95% of holders are LE or former LE. There is an out of state LTC, but there is no such thing for NFA in MA for non residents.  So there is no way for nonresidents to bring their machinegun to a shoot in MA. Like most everything in MA, it is based on who you know.

As a member of the Pelham F&G Class III Committee, we have had a few members with machineguns from MA. They have said that they had to apply, be interviewed, and approved by LE, in the town inwhich they live. I normally work in the Boston area, but I live in New Hampshire.

The oddest thing associated with the NFA card is the holder of the card can order a brand new rifle with all the knotty features, as long as it is an SBR. But rifles have to be pre '94 to have the same knotty features and they can't transfer in AR style pistols.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend who had the MA Green Card and had lots of transferable MGs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By prebans:
Just curious to know whether this ever happens.  Or is it only theoretically possible like a NJ or CA MG license?

Cross-posted in the MA HTF.
View Quote

Yes, it happens and is mostly dependent on the Chief of Police in one's city or town.

I had a "green card" for 15 years in MA, and owned several MGs there before kicking that state to the curb and moving to a free state where all NFA is legal and no "permit" is required......and no I was not LE or former LE.

The happiest day of my life was seeing the "Leaving Massachusetts" sign in my rear view mirror.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread brings back memories of the first two minutes or so of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFUFw1GH6ic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top