Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2024 5:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MNRidesHonda]
Looks like B&T USA is importing them

HK SP5 SD on Arms Unlimited.

The question is, when will HK USA gonna import them!? I need 2!!

Edit to add/update: not a factory HK SP5 SD
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Two stamp deal on top of ??? price tag?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:34:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#2]
Pretty neat but its still not a factory gun

"Professionally converted to SD configuration by B&T USA"

They upcharging 3k+ to throw on a cage, rubber handguard, barrel(although the B&T SD bbl is $$$$$$$$$$$), some engraving work and looks like they modified the OEM MP5 cocking tube to look like a SD cocking tube
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chase45:

They upcharging 3k+ to throw on a cage, rubber handguard, barrel(although the B&T SD bbl is $$$$$$$$$$$), some engraving work and looks like they modified the OEM MP5 cocking tube to look like a SD cocking tube
View Quote

Dang it.. I got bamboozled.. I’m at work and didn’t read that far into the GB listing. Guess HK still hates us
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Better off sending an SP5 to one of the builders and having them do it. Michaels Machines is converting my last SP5 over to RAL SD and it’s only costing 3850 with B&T barrel and his can with same SN as my donor. His will be HK correct cage and tube and can wise. I’ll have same money invested if not less that what that auction will go for.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:

Dang it.. I got bamboozled.. I’m at work and didn’t read that far into the GB listing. Guess HK still hates us
View Quote

It's still neat for a buy right now option don't get me wrong
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]
When they first teased these I think the price was around $5k, which was decent. Now they want $7k for the sbr version.

https://armsunlimited.com/heckler-koch-hk-sp5sd-suppressed-9mm-semi-auto-pistol/

They did sell out the first batch though.

It’s really nothing better than you’d get from the big name builders off an SP5 with a B&T bbl, but you’re paying extra for the B&T name if that means anything to you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Still better having one of the well known HK builder do you one.  Then you can get a normal shelf put on and the cock block removed.

Why would anyone pay that much for that gun that still isn't even sear ready.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
At least it appears AU was upfront and honest this time
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rgb03:
At least it appears AU was upfront and honest this time
View Quote

Lol, maybe they were assembled in Turkey.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I don’t want to get into the whole 922r argument but what exactly does this mean:

2. The Addition of the H&K stock to a H&K type pistol with a barrel of 16 inches in length or longer results in the manufacturing of a lawful sporting rifle. Prior to converting the pistol into a rifle, ensure you follow the guidance in 18 U.S. Code § 922 (r) and 27 CFR 478.39. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that all laws and regulations are followed.
View Quote

If B&T is doing the conversion from imported pistol to rifle(SBR) shouldn’t that process include the 922r requirements?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#11]
It looks like in the last pictures. It’s not coming with a stock.   It’s a pistol with the end cap
You add the stock, you’re going to need 922r stuff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By blueinterceptor:
It looks like in the last pictures. It’s not coming with a stock.   It’s a pistol with the end cap
You add the stock, you’re going to need 922r stuff.
View Quote

SBR adds another $500 to the price of the pistol when looked at on their website. I’m sure 922r compliance is part of that added cost.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By chase45:

View Quote

I dont see the value in the gun either.  But I believe that B&T now makes various cans for H&K as OEM.  And the B&T MP5 barrel is also a recognized replacement barrel by H&K...if the internet is correct.  So, the gun is pretty legit as far as that goes.  But no way Im paying anywhere near the ask.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:

I dont see the value in the gun either.  But I believe that B&T now makes various cans for H&K as OEM.  And the B&T MP5 barrel is also a recognized replacement barrel by H&K...if the internet is correct.  So, the gun is pretty legit as far as that goes.  But no way Im paying anywhere near the ask.
View Quote

Plus the fact those SP5 barrels they replaced with B&T will be sold for a pretty penny in the after market. That’s just that much more the price is inflated.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd rather have the factory SP5 barrel turned to SD spec.  There are people that do this
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#16]
Originally Posted By Princeton:
I don't want to get into the whole 922r argument but what exactly does this mean:

If B&T is doing the conversion from imported pistol to rifle(SBR) shouldn't that process include the 922r requirements?
View Quote
The Gunbroker ad is for an SBR, so it's irrelevant in that case and should be compliant.

The ad just copy and pasted the entire wording from the AA site where they were selling them as an option for either pistol or SBR configuration, so that quote applied to if you got it as a pistol..
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:58:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chargerdude70] [#17]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
I'd rather have the factory SP5 barrel turned to SD spec.  There are people that do this
View Quote

Ralph Sr is converting both an SP5 and SP5K into SD’s for me and will have his SP5 converted ported barrel. It’s just taking forever from him so I sent another out to MM because his turnaround is much faster. Should have it in a couple weeks. I already have one can from the builds Sr is doing so won’t have to wait for that to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I know about all these builders.. I just want a factory SD
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I know about all these builders.. I just want a factory SD
View Quote

Me too but there are no factory SDs.  The closest you can get is a demilled SD kit on a 94 host made before 1990 so it's not subject to 922r.   But they are $$$$$$
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Heineken:

Me too but there are no factory SDs.  The closest you can get is a demilled SD kit on a 94 host made before 1990 so it's not subject to 922r.   But they are $$$$$$
View Quote

Not yet lol. HK is making SP5 and SP5K/K-PDW. I don’t see how hard it is for them to make the SP5-SD. Shit, B&T is giving us all the factory SD flavors.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Not yet lol. HK is making SP5 and SP5K/K-PDW. I don't see how hard it is for them to make the SP5-SD. Shit, B&T is giving us all the factory SD flavors.
View Quote
I'm going to say there's a near zero chance HK will ever release factory SD models for wide civilian sales in the US.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
I'm going to say there's a near zero chance HK will ever release factory SD models for wide civilian sales in the US.
View Quote

5-6 years ago people also told me we would never see what is now the SP5 and SP5K-PDW from HK
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:56:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chargerdude70] [#23]

5-6 years ago people also told me we would never see what is now the SP5 and SP5K-PDW from HK
View Quote

But how many years between the HK94 and the SP5 was there before they finally got on the band wagon? If you wait for HK to do it, think of all the years and pew pew’s of enjoyment you’re missing out on. Just bite the bullet and grab one now. Hell, there’s one on Equipment Exchange right now for sale from Ralph Jr.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By chargerdude70: But how many years between the HK94 and the SP5 was there before they finally got on the band wagon? If you wait for HK to do it, think of all the years and pew pew’s of enjoyment you’re missing out on.
View Quote

Agreed, it was 30 years!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By chargerdude70:

But how many years between the HK94 and the SP5 was there before they finally got on the band wagon? If you wait for HK to do it, think of all the years and pew pew’s of enjoyment you’re missing out on. Just bite the bullet and grab one now. Hell, there’s one on Equipment Exchange right now for sale from Ralph Jr.

View Quote

Sound advice. OP is even in VA too.

And even though mine isn't clone correct I still enjoy the hell out of it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chargerdude70] [#26]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Sound advice. OP is even in VA too.

And even though mine isn't clone correct I still enjoy the hell out of it.

https://i.imgur.com/Z2tVIPK.jpg
View Quote

Nice collection

I wasn’t concerned about clone correct, more concerned about keeping the bones as much HK as possible. The whole reason I went with Sr. It’s his taking so long that forced me to send another off to MM and his will be clone correct but only in RAL. I’m getting OLD and want to pew pew as soon/much I can and time is my enemy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:21:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#27]
Apparently these are just euro import SP5s that B&TUSA brought in under HKImports and then “converted” in a warehouse in Florida. Unknown methods and parts...from what I understand they dont even have a sling loop, etc

I think a lot of people see HK and B&T and assume that there is some kind of dream collaboration happening lol

Places like DT are still the best way to go imo

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#28]
While its always nice to have more SD options in the marketplace, I personally struggle with the price point on these at $7K given the way they did the build.

B&T could have really knocked it out of the park if they had somehow worked with HK Germany to import raw German made SD cocking tubes, Cages, and Front Sight weldments.   An SP5 with a B&T SD barrel, matching serial B&T suppressor, remarked MP5-SD, with a real German cocking tube/cage/weldments would have been worth $7K all day long.

However you are getting an SP5 with what can only presumed to be a HKParts sourced US made cage and front sight weldment, along with a not so aesthetically attractive extension welded up standard SP5 cocking tube, and marked up as SP5-SD.

If it were me, I would rather go with a builder like Ralph at RDTS, Ralph Smith Jr at Anubis, Mike Otte at MM, or Joe Stoppiello at DT and have them build me an SD off an SP5 that had a more dimensionally correct SD front end (still using US parts), a B&T barrel + Suppressor, for probably at least a grand less.

Just my two cents anyway.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:11:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chargerdude70] [#29]
Originally Posted By jbntex:
While its always nice to have more SD options in the marketplace, I personally struggle with the price point on these at $7K given the way they did the build.

B&T could have really knocked it out of the park if they had somehow worked with HK Germany to import raw German made SD cocking tubes, Cages, and Front Sight weldments.   An SP5 with a B&T SD barrel, matching serial B&T suppressor, remarked MP5-SD, with a real German cocking tube/cage/weldments would have been worth $7K all day long.

However you are getting an SP5 with what can only presumed to be a HKParts sourced US made cage and front sight weldment, along with a not so aesthetically attractive extension welded up standard SP5 cocking tube, and marked up as SP5-SD.

If it were me, I would rather go with a builder like Ralph at RDTS, Ralph Smith Jr at Anubis, Mike Otte at MM, or Joe Stoppiello at DT and have them build me an SD off an SP5 that had a more dimensionally correct SD front end (still using US parts), a B&T barrel + Suppressor, for probably at least a grand less.

View Quote

My Mike Otte SD clone correct build is costing me $3,850 with can, B&T barrel, RAL, and sear ready ($600 less without can). Would have been $3,650 if I used his barrel. So that would be $6150 with a donor if bought for $2,500 or $5,950 with is barrel. And he sends back the take off barrel, LP, and hand guard and those could be sold for another 3 or 4 hundies which brings the cost down much more.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
I agree 100% with all of that.

At the original $5k price, the B&T guns would have been a decent deal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MNRidesHonda] [#31]

View Quote

I saw that one. Question regarding sbr-ing is what “model” to put on the Form 1? Technically it’s an SP5 but was remarked to MP5 SD and ATF wants the model to be what’s engraved on the serialized part but isn’t that kinda a no-no since that’s not the real model from HK?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#32]

I saw that one. Question regarding sbr-ing is what “model” to put on the Form 1? Technically it’s an SP5 but was remarked to MP5 SD and ATF wants the model to be what’s engraved on the serialized part but isn’t that kinda a no-no since that’s not the real model from HK?
View Quote

Always put what’s marked on the firearm.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#33]

I saw that one. Question regarding sbr-ing it is what “model” to put on the Form 1? Technically it’s an SP5 but the marking was changed to MP5-SD and ATF wants the model to be what’s engraved on the serialized part but isn’t that kinda a no-no since that’s not the real model from HK?
View Quote

Register as what it is, not what it was. From what I read on another well known HK forum, the firearm is supposed to be remarked prior to F1 file/approval. If after, it is a violation.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Register as what it is, not what it was. From what I read on another well known HK forum, the firearm is supposed to be remarked prior to F1 file/approval. If after, it is a violation.
View Quote

Right. But isn’t it a no-no to change the model of a firearms from ATF’s pov?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Right. But isn’t it a no-no to change the model of a firearms from ATF’s pov?
View Quote

On title I guns, no. Title II, yes. Remark before turning gun into title II.

Thousands of people have remarked SDs, MP5, MP5ks etc.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:19:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#36]

View Quote

Has anyone actually managed to source SD parts individually from HK before? Given the existing demand from conversion builders, if HK isn't already doing so, I doubt anyone else would have much success for a relatively small run.

I think B&T USA would have better luck importing a factory MKE SD like the T94SD.

Sure, MKE gets a mixed rep, but can't argue with having a factory built gun, and the factory swing down lower/front pushpin is a nice touch if these aren't absurdly more expensive than the Century imports.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:20:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Apec:

Has anyone actually managed to source SD parts individually from HK before? Given the existing demand from conversion builders, if HK isn't already doing so, I doubt anyone else would have much success for a relatively small run.

I think B&T USA would have better luck importing a factory MKE SD like the T94SD.

Sure, MKE gets a mixed rep, but can't argue with having a factory built gun, and the factory swing down lower/front pushpin is a nice touch if these aren't absurdly more expensive than the Century imports.
View Quote

Maybe SHOT 2025 MKE USA or B&T USA or Century will give us the T94SD. If that thing msrp for $2k it will sell like hot cakes :D
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Apec:

View Quote
Over the years folks have gotten all sorts of oddball stuff out of HK Germany.  Mike Woodward of TSC Machine friend "Ross" for years was a venerable private warehouse of rare German HK parts.   Gordon Miller and Mike Otte for years have also managed to get all sort of rare parts out of HK Germany.  I believe Otte has gotten factory SD weldments in some quantity out of HK Germany as well.

One would figure that if anybody had the personal connections at HK Germany to get what really amount to esoteric receiver weldments in somewhat small quantities it would be B&T given their prior relationship.   I am not aware of any US import or German export restrictions on cocking tubes, front sights, or handguard cages but acknowledge I am not an import/export expert either.

Like a lot of things with HK.... it seems like if they stop being obstinate and put their mind to it (like finally importing the SP series after letting Special Weapons eat their lunch for a couple decades) or you have a personal connection with somebody at HK who can make things happen at times.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Over the years folks have gotten all sorts of oddball stuff out of HK Germany.  Mike Woodward of TSC Machine friend "Ross" for years was a venerable private warehouse of rare German HK parts.   Gordon Miller and Mike Otte for years have also managed to get all sort of rare parts out of HK Germany.  I believe Otte has gotten factory SD weldments in some quantity out of HK Germany as well.

One would figure that if anybody had the personal connections at HK Germany to get what really amount to esoteric receiver weldments in somewhat small quantities it would be B&T given their prior relationship.   I am not aware of any US import or German export restrictions on cocking tubes, front sights, or handguard cages but acknowledge I am not an import/export expert either.

Like a lot of things with HK.... it seems like if they stop being obstinate and put their mind to it (like finally importing the SP series after letting Special Weapons eat their lunch for a couple decades) or you have a personal connection with somebody at HK who can make things happen at times.
View Quote

Fair enough - insiders have always managed to source unique items, even from companies like KAC.

I've just never heard of any builders making commercial off the shelf/vendor purchases of individual components/materials from HK, otherwise we'd be seeing more builders offering SD pistols with brand new German parts that didn't come from demilled/destroyed surplus guns.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I am friends with the person at B&T doing this work. He is good and used to work for HK.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:47:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#41]
The way the did the cocking tube looks like shit.  Get the right tube, or just leave it stock like RDTS does. They also left off the sling eyelet.  One could get a much more correct mp5sd, marked correctly, for less...and it would actually be sear ready.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Heineken:
The way the did the cocking tube looks like shit.  Get the right tube, or just leave it stock like RDTS does. They also left off the sling eyelet.  One could get a much more correct mp5sd, marked correctly, for less...and it would actually be sear ready.
View Quote

Exactly -  for that money it should be factory correct.  But at least someone is trying to keep these available as getting one from a builder is a crap shoot.  I have 2, a beater on a clone receiver with factory BCG and lower but US parts for everything else etc. and one built with factory receiver and demilled factory SD parts kit.  Both took years to source parts and get built and decided to move on from HK conversions as a result as it was like this for every other built I did.  Have some great builds but each one was a chunk of my life.  

Hopefully companies keep importing and making things like this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top