BCM
User Panel

Griffin Recce 5? (Page 3 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:10:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an HRT on the way, it seems like am excellent hard use can.

I've heard conflicting information on whether the dual lok tactical comp fits inside the blast chamber...Can anyone confirm? I know the taper mount one fits in a Recce.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:11:42 AM EDT
[#3]
So, what's the real world differences between the Dual-lok 7, and the Explorr 7?  I've got a dual-lok 7 in jail right now (along with a PSR 7, and a HRT 5).  And I'm considering another Griffin suppressor for dedicated use on my 6.75" MCX.  Should I be looking at the Explorr, or another Dual-lok 7?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:13:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
You'll like the Explorr. It's a great all around 5.56 can.  I'm seriously thinking about getting a second one and I never buy two of the same suppressor.

Good luck with a fast approval!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Originally Posted By captexas:
Between this thread and all the fast approval time threads (even though I'm a trust) I caved and ordered the last Explorr224 utility mount CA had in stock this morning.
You'll like the Explorr. It's a great all around 5.56 can.  I'm seriously thinking about getting a second one and I never buy two of the same suppressor.

Good luck with a fast approval!

Should I be giving more consideration to the Explorr vs the Recce 5K? I haven’t had enough time this week to do much research so some of the “tech” talk in this thread about the Explorr is going above my head at the moment.

ETA: I’m a lefty, so gas output is a consideration. I’m putting a superlative arms adjustable block on the 12.5” it will be paired with so it will help, but still something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:31:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC] [#5]
ETA: my question was answered above.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
So, what's the real world differences between the Dual-lok 7, and the Explorr 7?  I've got a dual-lok 7 in jail right now (along with a PSR 7, and a HRT 5).  And I'm considering another Griffin suppressor for dedicated use on my 6.75" MCX.  Should I be looking at the Explorr, or another Dual-lok 7?
View Quote

Dual-lok (non hrt) are lower back pressure cans
Explorr is a more traditional sealed design
Dual-lok will mess less with bolt speed/require less tuning
Explorr will get the edge in signature reduction
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:01:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#7]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

This isn't the best thread for it, but I'd love to hear all about the 5K on a 12.5" and how it compares to other configurations so I can figure out if I want to get one when they come back in stock. I'm getting impatient waiting for Kit Badger's dedicated review, and someone in a recent video (at 9:56) mentioned the 5K is "very gassy" on a 14.5 Colt carbine.
View Quote

That’d be interesting. The 14.5” Colt is a rather forgiving host, in my experience, and I’ve used them with older Griffin cans that had more backpressure than their more recent designs. That experience is what drove home for me that that’s actually a very competitive setup.

I’m not saying anyone’s wrong here. People have wildly divergent experiences with barrel and gas system lengths and gassiness.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:02:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:02:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#10]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Green0:

14.5 socom profile gov contract barrels meter 138 right ear with cans that meter 134-135 on 14.84 mid barrels we sell.

View Quote

That seems reasonable. I think carbine gas gets a bad rap, but really it’s because some companies put blowholes in them, at least in part. Colt puts a more reasonable sized port in theirs than many others. Some mid barrels are the same way. I’d assume y’all’s would be ported properly for silencer use, since they’d benefit from being used in your silencer development.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the .058 14.5 carbine barrels better than .063.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:32:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#13]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
I have an HRT on the way, it seems like am excellent hard use can.

I've heard conflicting information on whether the dual lok tactical comp fits inside the blast chamber...Can anyone confirm? I know the taper mount one fits in a Recce.
View Quote
I was just able to spin a DL Paladin brake into an HRT5.
A few quick measures
- that MD is ~5.5cm long (2.13" per GA Site), and from end of the HRT's locking tines to high part of first baffle, 6.0cm (low quality tape used)
- A DL Tactical is 2.38" long per the GA Site.
So - 2.38" = 6.05cm That's pretty dead-nuts on to the longest device my HRT could swallow. It's a little tight for my tastes.

BUT - the part we should really be paying attention to is the GA page on the HRT5.  It lists the Tactical under available mounting options. Unless Green0 tells us the marketing folks were smoking catnip and that's a mistake, I'd trust it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#15]
To make sure I have this straight:

REECE 5
15.3 oz
6.2"
135dB @ right ear on 11.5" barrel

REECE 5K
14.25 oz
5.8"
140dB a right ear on 11.5" barrel

The video for the 5K states that the 140 is A weighted.  What does that mean and is the 135dB for the REECE 5 A weighted?

Are their any side by side pictures of the muzzle flash for these two?

@Green0
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Just got my 5K ordered 20 minutes ago. With any luck I’ll have it in hand by next week. Thanks for the info fellas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JTX23:
To make sure I have this straight:

REECE 5
15.3 oz
6.2"
135dB @ right ear on 11.5" barrel

REECE 5K
14.25 oz
5.8"
140dB a right ear on 11.5" barrel

The video for the 5K states that the 140 is A weighted.  What does that mean and is the 135dB for the REECE 5 A weighted?

Are their any side by side pictures of the muzzle flash for these two?

@Green0
View Quote

I haven’t weighed mine personally but the Recce 5K is listed at 13.7oz.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
Just got my 5K ordered 20 minutes ago. With any luck I’ll have it in hand by next week. Thanks for the info fellas.
View All Quotes

Nice. I just got in touch with a dealer to arrange the purchase of a 5K, just as soon as the FDE versions show up in stock.

Originally Posted By bluedog82:

I haven’t weighed mine personally but the Recce 5K is listed at 13.7oz.

"A weighed" refers to how the decibels are expressed in relation to the frequencies that can damage the human ear.
FURTHER READING
Silencer Summit 2023 data that allows you to compare "raw" dB to "dbA" (A-weighted)
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered a Recce 5 just an hour or two ago, will be my first 5.56 can.

Planning to use the included EZ Brake on my 18" rifle and order either the "Minimalist Stealth Flash Suppressor" or "FlashComp" for my carbine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

Nice. I just got in touch with a dealer to arrange the purchase of a 5K, just as soon as the FDE versions show up in stock.

"A weighed" refers to how the decibels are expressed in relation to the frequencies that can damage the human ear.
FURTHER READING
Silencer Summit 2023 data that allows you to compare "raw" dB to "dbA" (A-weighted)
View Quote

Thank you @DDS87
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Just to make sure is there any reason that the Recced 5 can not be used with a 30 cal EZ Brake.  It's the only one available in1/2X20.

p230
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]

The recce 5 can mount to a .30cal mount, but it has a .281 bore and can’t clear a bullet larger than .224” diameter/ 5.56mm.
View Quote

That fine, the Steyr Pro Hunter I just got in is .223 but is threaded 1/2X20 so my options are limited.  My Recce 5 should do fine on it.  Thanks for the info

p230
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#26]
@green0

Other than weight, what would the main difference be between the .224 explorr and the recce5k? Do they sound similar? Do they have similar backpressue?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:27:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC] [#28]
As I wait for approval on this 5K, I’ve been rethinking my sbr+suppressor builds after taking one of my 11.5” rifle out this weekend.

I experienced 3 light primer strikes towards the end of my last mag (90 rounds shot) on Friday. YHM turbo, BCM gun, non adjustable block and Geiselle 3G trigger, H1 buffer.

3 of the last 10 rounds went click. Ejected the light strike round, put it back in mag, racked gun and still went click. Factory PMC ammo. Hammer spring is installed correctly, trigger pins are good and bolt looks fine. Thinking an H2 buffer and superlative arms adjustable block will help but this is the first time I’ve experienced this with a suppressed setup.

Should an H2 buffer be in all of my short suppressed rifles or will adjustable/tuned gas blocks be enough to mitigate the issue? Could I have something else going on since the round(s) still wouldn’t fire when manually cycled? No high primers on any of the light strike rounds either. I’m stumped.

ETA: gun was cleaned and lubed prior to this zeroing session but pretty dirty even after 3 mags. The gun is definitely over gassed at this point.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#29]
As I wait for approval on this 5K, I’ve been rethinking my sbr+suppressor builds after taking one of my 11.5” rifle out this weekend.

I experienced 3 light primer strikes towards the end of my last mag (90 rounds shot) on Friday. YHM turbo, BCM gun, non adjustable block and Geiselle 3G trigger, H1 buffer.

3 of the last 10 rounds went click. Ejected the light strike round, put it back in mag, racked gun and still went click. Factory PMC ammo. Hammer spring is installed correctly, trigger pins are good and bolt looks fine. Thinking an H2 buffer and superlative arms adjustable block will help but this is the first time I’ve experienced this with a suppressed setup.

Should an H2 buffer be in all of my short suppressed rifles or will adjustable/tuned gas blocks be enough to mitigate the issue? Could I have something else going on since the round(s) still wouldn’t fire when manually cycled? No high primers on any of the light strike rounds either. I’m stumped.

ETA: gun was cleaned and lubed prior to this zeroing session but pretty dirty even after 3 mags. The gun is definitely over gassed at this point.
View Quote
Were these truly light strikes, or good strikes with failures to ignite? When you chambered them the second time, did you use the forward assist?

If you’re overgassed to the point of issues and want to use a buffer to deal with that (particularly temporarily), then I’d jump straight to a PWS H4. “Just get a H2” doesn’t do nearly as much as the internet would have us believe.

For a fulltime silencer host, a BRT EZ Tune with your current H1 would help tremendously. For a part time host, I’d first choke the gas down with an AGB or BRT tube until it only reliably runs unsuppressed with a H0 or H1. Or install a barrel with such a gas port. Then add a H3 or H4 (largest difference between unsuppressed is preferred) when suppressed, or use a Bootleg carrier.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#30]

The explorr is more quiet.  The recce 5k probably has slightly less backpressure.

The explorr is lighter.
View Quote

Hey Green0,
I know the Recce 5K has the specialized (perm) end cap to significantly reduce flash, but the Explorr 224 seems to do pretty damn well for flash. There is a some flash with first round and nothing after the air in the can goes dead. Am I observing this right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:34:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#31]
Originally Posted By playinARound:

Hey Green0,
I know the Recce 5K has the specialized (perm) end cap to significantly reduce flash, but the Explorr 224 seems to do pretty damn well for flash. There is a some flash with first round and nothing after the air in the can goes dead. Am I observing this right?
View Quote

Depends on barrel length, ammo, etc. They work very well overall.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#32]

That mount was manufactured specifically for a reviewer who was making a video on the Scout, and it somehow didn't end up in the video, but that mount was designed to allow the Steyr rifles to be compatible with the suppressors.
View Quote

Thanks for that bit of info.  I went ahead and ordered the brake and the RECCE5.  It will work fine on my AR's and should do just fine on the Steyr.  I appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:02:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#33]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By playinARound:

Hey Green0,
View Quote
That’d be pretty common among cans with strong signature reduction, including some of Griffin’s other cans.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got the approval email.

6 days after filing!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Probably.  The 5K is short, and has less volume, and even first round flash mitigation was important for it.  

On the light strikes, if the BCG wasn't closing that would make sense- but often that means a particle of debris is impinging the bolt at the bolt face and preventing the bolt from rotating into battery.  If that happens, there should be zero dimple in the primers of the rounds that didn't fire.  This can signal a feed ramp that has a sharp edge and shaves brass, or could signal a freak accident that will never happen again after the debris is cleared from the chamber.

If the bolt was closed and the primer dimpled I would suspect the hammer spring is weak or not on top of the trigger pin.  If the hammer spring legs are under the trigger pin, that can cause light strikes, but also could cause loss of the trigger pin, as those retain it.  

If that happened on full auto, with light primer strikes, I would suspect bolt bounce from elevated cyclic rate, and then the H2 and or adjustable gas or a lower backpressure suppressor would be an obvious choice.  

If the BCG key is not centered, or the cam pin recess cut out of alignment to it, the failures to fire can be because the key/cam pin offset is braking the carrier by wedging in the charging handle slot area from axial displacement, causing the bolt not to fully close, and limiting firing pin protrusion at the BCG's .433" hole bottom/ firing pin flange interaction area.  When the bolt is extended forward, and you look along the sides of the carrier key, you should see the cam pin's square head parallel, not overhanging the carrier key in one direction or the other.  These have to be in the same space, or they will cause interference in the upper when the bolt tries to strip a round, because the pair of items will be wider than the upper slot that reciprocate in.  If the carrier key slot is shallow or the key chamfered too heavy, the key can be centered and kick over after some use and be out of line, because the key is subjected to rotary force when the bolt unlocks.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I just tore it apart and didn’t find anything obvious. I looked at the couple rounds closer and they look like good strikes to me. I find it hard to believe it’s coincidence but both are PMC and I didn’t have any issues with the lake city stuff that day. I’m going to do some more testing before I make any changes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:24:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#37]

We have some R&D time slotted for "low cyclic increase" coming up but I don't know what will come of that.
View Quote
If you can, share some of what you find. In general of course. I'm not expecting you to give away any secret sauce.

I'm always interested in what can be done to make a baffle can better compared to complicated, expensive and often heavy, flow through cans

Ultimately, my holy grail is a lightweight but quiet (to the shooter) can that I can effectively use on various semi-auto hosts that may not be tunable (IOW not AR15s).

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 135Patriots] [#38]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
A few quick measures
- that MD is ~5.5cm long (2.13" per GA Site), and from end of the HRT's locking tines to high part of first baffle, 6.0cm (low quality tape used)
So - 2.38" = 6.05cm That's pretty dead-nuts on to the longest device my HRT could swallow. It's a little tight for my tastes.

BUT - the part we should really be paying attention to is the GA page on the HRT5.  It lists the Tactical under available mounting options. Unless Green0 tells us the marketing folks were smoking catnip and that's a mistake, I'd trust it.
View Quote
Adding data for those in similar situations - Please note this is specific to the HRT blast chamber.

The dual lok tactical comp *does* fit but goodness is it tight. We're talking hundredths of an inch based on the most accurate caliper data I could measure.

It's a tough can but putting a shorter brake on it seems like it could keep some wear off the important stuff. @Green0 any recommendations?

Fwiw the build quality on this can is very impressive. As a consumer I feel I got what I paid for in a good way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:19:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#39]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Just got the approval email.

6 days after filing!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Geissele 3 Gun trigger comes with two different springs. If you are running the lighter spring, swap springs and you’ll be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By KSPeacekeeper:

Geissele 3 Gun trigger comes with two different springs. If you are running the lighter spring, swap springs and you’ll be good to go.
View Quote

Hmm. Well that’s good to know and may solve the problem. I’ll have to dig around and find the box.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:07:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#44]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah that's interesting I didn't have that knowledge of the trigger product.  20 years ago, JP had a reduced yellow hammer spring and it also didn't work that well for ignition, especially in the extreme cold.  I guess they still sell it.  I've used the yellow trigger return as that isn't as important, but sometimes it causes sluggish reset or you have to help the trigger reset when dirty.
View Quote

That JP single stage adjustable was the first aftermarket trigger I ever bought. The yellow spring went into the garbage straight away. I’ve probably got close to 10K rounds on that trigger without a single issue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Adding data for those in similar situations - Please note this is specific to the HRT blast chamber.

The dual lok tactical comp *does* fit but goodness is it tight. We're talking hundredths of an inch based on the most accurate caliper data I could measure.

It's a tough can but putting a shorter brake on it seems like it could keep some wear off the important stuff. @Green0 any recommendations?

Fwiw the build quality on this can is very impressive. As a consumer I feel I got what I paid for in a good way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
A few quick measures

So is it recommended to not run the tactical compensator with the HRT?  While waiting for my HRT to clear, I set up most of mine with the tactical comps…

Would a paladin brake be a better choice or are minimalist ones the best route?

I just had my dual lok 7 delivered and based on my crud measuring, the tactical comp has about .25” before the highest part of the blast baffle, so guessing that’s ok…

Any insight to this?

@Green0

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By kirbykid25:

So is it recommended to not run the tactical compensator with the HRT?  While waiting for my HRT to clear, I set up most of mine with the tactical comps

Would a paladin brake be a better choice or are minimalist ones the best route?

I just had my dual lok 7 delivered and based on my crud measuring, the tactical comp has about .25" before the highest part of the blast baffle, so guessing that's ok

Any insight to this?

@Green0

View Quote
Won't speak for him but .25" I'd feel fine with. I believe the HRT has a shorter blast chamber and there's nowhere near that much clearance for me.

It fits and like I said, these are tough cans that I'm confident would hold up just fine either way. But no reason to take any chances given it comes with a minimalist brake.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Won't speak for him but .25" I'd feel fine with. I believe the HRT has a shorter blast chamber and there's nowhere near that much clearance for me.

It fits and like I said, these are tough cans that I'm confident would hold up just fine either way. But no reason to take any chances given it comes with a minimalist brake.
View Quote

I agree, I just went crazy getting tactical comps while waiting for the hrt to clear, to find out now, maybe not the best choice…and the tactical comps aren’t cheap
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Griffin Recce 5? (Page 3 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top