Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2023 4:32:41 AM EDT
I know a REAL gunsmith. The kind of gunsmith you read about, one who does things by the seat of his pants but with a micrometer at hand. May I present, LAGS.

He can take this;

And make this;

To become this.

I got to fire both of them. I am gonna try to buy the short one, built of a stub of a .54 caliber barrel he cut off my son's rifle while rebuilding it from this;

to this;

You know someone who works on ARs, and calls themselves a gunsmith? That's cute...
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great!

I'm always amazed by the skill of people to take
raw materials and craft items that are both functional
and works of art.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:51:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#2]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
I know a REAL gunsmith. The kind of gunsmith you read about, one who does things by the seat of his pants but with a micrometer at hand. May I present, LAGS.

You know someone who works on ARs, and calls themselves a gunsmith? That's cute...
View Quote

Great work but going by the pics your guy seems more of a woodsmith than a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:02:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#3]
Ye might look at all the metalwork he did, such as take that hunk of steel on the vise up top, and make a perfect rear sight, or plug holes in a barrel drilled through by Bubba. The brass trigger guard you see he shaped himself, and when it wasn't right, he welded and shaped a steel one. I think he is FAR more than a woodsmith.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Kinda want!

Awesome man,  he definitely has some skills.  There is something to be said about work like that.  These are the guys that will still be in business after the world apocalypse,  when barrel blanks, fiberglass stocks and drop in triggers no longer exist.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
How much did the labor cost? How long did it take?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#6]
For which one? The pistols he did on his own as a fun project, and just picked up a 50 cal 8 inch barrel to build another one. The rifle I paid for materials and took about 2 months, simply because there was SO much wrong with it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top