Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 3:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glenn_r]
I picked up a Gen3 G17 complete factory slide w/factory-threaded barrel for cheap.  Might as well get the suppressor too.  No tactical need, I won't be covertly taking out guards.  I have several AR-15 suppressors but haven't been interested in handgun suppressors until now.  I did some googling, but just got a lot of factory sites pushing their own gear, and some other reviews that are probably paid for by advertisers.

What's a basic set up for the G17 that won't break the bank?  I don't want a Chinesium level of quality, but I have no need or desire for Seal Team Six gear.  Decent quality at a good value, eh?  Bonus if I can also use it on a 9mm AR-15.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By glenn_r:
I picked up a Gen3 G17 complete factory slide w/factory-threaded barrel for cheap.  Might as well get the suppressor too.  No tactical need, I won't be covertly taking out guards.  I have several AR-15 suppressors but haven't been interested in handgun suppressors until now.  I did some googling, but just got a lot of factory sites pushing their own gear, and some other reviews that are probably paid for by advertisers.

What's a basic set up for the G17 that won't break the bank?  I don't want a Chinesium level of quality, but I have no need or desire for Seal Team Six gear.  Decent quality at a good value, eh?  Bonus if I can also use it on a 9mm AR-15.

View Quote

Something like a AAC Tirant 9, CGS Mod9, or Rugged Obsidian 9 are popular choices. Historically you could often find deals on each of those, but demand is through the roof right now since the ATF started turning around individual stamps in a matter of days instead of 6-12+ months. Maybe wait until Memorial Day and see if any deals come up?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peachy:

Something like a AAC Tirant 9, CGS Mod9, or Rugged Obsidian 9 are popular choices. Historically you could often find deals on each of those, but demand is through the roof right now since the ATF started turning around individual stamps in a matter of days instead of 6-12+ months. Maybe wait until Memorial Day and see if any deals come up?
View Quote

The Obsidian is an ok can. It suppresses well but, you might want to read the thread we have going on about end cap strikes. I had an end cap strike with mine and a few others members are talking about there end cap strike issues.

Obsidian End Cap Strike Thread
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:55:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#3]
On a pistol smaller diameter is preferred by most.

Even a 1.48” OD Omega 9k feels thinner than a 1.5” PCC can. The new SiCo Spectre-9 I believe is down to 1.375”. Thunderbeast Fly-9 is similar. Ecco Machine has some even slimmer pistol cans.  These are are welded cans. For take-apart cans (useful with cast bullets that lead up baffles) a take down can like Griffin Revolution or Resistance, or Rugged Obsidian are probably the most commonly found.    

You will want to know if your barrel is euro metric, left hand threaded, usually 13.5 x 1 mm LH, or US common 1/2”-28 tpi.  This impacts the separate piston you select as tilt-recoil pistols won’t function with a direct thread mount.  

Ammo makes a big difference with blowback gas & debris, as well as noise to the shooter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Plenty of good reasons to suppress other than covert guard management. Different shooting experience in many regards. Perhaps you know, you'll likely need an additional assembly, mostly a G17 or any basic 9mm recoil-functioning pistol is going need it. I like the SiCo Omega 9k 9n 17, 19...haven't shot on 43 yet, and am holding out for a particular manufacturer to make a threaded barrel for the 48.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
-im waiting any day now for CGS to discount their "last" run of the mod 9s and start making the new mod 9x. you can probably snag a good deal on that.
-im sure sico will do the same with the omega 9k and the octane 2.0 series of suppressors. i got a big list of discontinued sico SKUs not too long ago and i think the octane series was on it.
-you may be able to get the rex 9mm can at hansohn for 30% off. not sure if the rex30 code still works.

buy suppressor height sights. the blacked out ameriglos are cheap and i like them. as kalman said you'll need to figure out what pitch your barrel is. if yove got a thread protector with it, you can tell if its RH or LH threads. the LH stuff also has a small taper on it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:00:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atlmike] [#6]
Running a suppressor on a Glock has often led to accelerated fatigue of the recoil spring and striker spring. This is common with all of the polymer frame, striker fired hosts I've been around over the years. Fatigued springs will often manifest as the slide not quite going fully into battery until you trip the reset. If you run suppressed regularly, work up an R&R plan for your springs. At AAC we always had spare spring sets with all of our demo Glocks in case the issue arose.

Other than that, a can with lower back pressure/less blowback is a plus. Makes the experience more enjoyable.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I still only have my Evo from years ago
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm running a GEMTECH mulitmount (don't know if they even manufacture these now) and it's been a great can. Run in on the registered UZI and it's been solid!

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Metric threads on my barrel.  Thanks for the suggestions, off to do some research.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an AAC TiRant 9M-HD that I use almost exclusively on Glock 47 and 19s. It’s a superb suppressor and I really can’t recommend it highly enough.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:12:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Atlmike:
Running a suppressor on a Glock has often led to accelerated fatigue of the recoil spring and striker spring. This is common with all of the polymer frame, striker fired hosts I've been around over the years. Fatigued springs will often manifest as the slide not quite going fully into battery until you trip the reset. If you run suppressed regularly, work up an R&R plan for your springs. At AAC we always had spare spring sets with all of our demo Glocks in case the issue arose.

Other than that, a can with lower back pressure/less blowback is a plus. Makes the experience more enjoyable.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote
Interesting that y’all found that it’s fatigue causing that…I’ve noticed that G19s do that even with new springs the first time an Odessa is mounted. Presumably with other cans, also, unless it somehow has to do with weight. Pistol cans are voodoo to me, but my buddy’s Griffin can doesn’t do it in his G19, and his RSA has a lot of mileage on it. I simply use a .40 G23 recoil spring in my G19 dedicated host for that reason….problem solved. Can’t remember if my MoD9’s did it before I switched to a .40 spring or not. Both of those had inadequate booster springs in them, brand new, and too-small endcap apertures, so there was other troubleshooting involved with them.

OP, whatever you decide, I’d highly recommend an EZ Lok piston and adapter. It’s a dramatically improved user experience.
Top Top