Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2024 1:47:13 PM EDT
Recently picked up this Gemtech Operator from 1997.

Fairly standard looking integral Ruger MKII pistol, however either Gemtech or someone after purchase turned down the rear of the receiver and fabricated a collar that could be rotated, locking the bolt in place, minimizing action noise. Pretty neat design for a bolt lock mechanism.

@PHD any insight into this older Integral? Using my very cheap bore camera the baffles seem to be similar to my Oasis integral.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#1]
Super slick! I’ve wanted a bolt lock Ruger Mk for some time. I think TBA does one.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh man, I would love that on a MKIV.

Really cool gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kc3] [#3]
I have one of those made on the first Gen 22/45, with the bolt lock, which was an option.

I believe there was the possibility of frame cracking with it, so I've never really used it. Easy enough just to use your thumb.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
No info on the bolt lock - it looks like a one-of.

As for the pistol, I have an Oasis that I love. It’s built on a polymer 22/44 frame and is insanity light weight. Mine was reworked by Gemtech to turn it into a serviceable monocore.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a handsome pistol.

Can you disassemble and take pictures of the baffles? How does the sound compare some modern cans?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
That's the bolt lock Jim Ryan of J.R. Customs developed when he was part of Gemtech. Simple and elegant.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#7]
That's cool. I wish Ruger would just do one it would be so cheap for them. That bolt lock is slick.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
That's a handsome pistol.

Can you disassemble and take pictures of the baffles? How does the sound compare some modern cans?
View Quote

These were sealed cans, as was most common back then. Pretty sure they can be jail-broken for disassembly, though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:39:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PHD] [#9]
The Gemtech Operator was the same weapon as the Gemtech Quantum built on the Ruger Mk2 pistol with the exception of improving the trigger, addition of tritium inserts in the target sights, and installing the bolt-locking collar. The bolt lock was designed by Jim Ryan (Gemtech co-founder) and produced by GSL Technology, who was our prime subcontractor (and partner).

The baffle stack in the earlier weapons was the series of M-baffles and spacers found in the original Outback .22 can. In later Operator/Quantum suppressors the stack was a series of 6 K-baffles as in our highly successful Outback-II. The front endcap (and the just inside encapsulator ring) were sealed with Loctite (242 blue, as I recall). A total of 32 Operator suppressed Ruger MK2 pistols were made with the first in 1994 and the last in 2000.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Atlmike:
That's the bolt lock Jim Ryan of J.R. Customs developed when he was part of Gemtech. Simple and elegant.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Atlmike:

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018

Thanks for the insight Mike!

Originally Posted By PHD:
The Gemtech Operator was the same weapon as the Gemtech Quantum built on the Ruger Mk2 pistol with the exception of improving the trigger, addition of tritium inserts in the target sights, and installing the bolt-locking collar. The bolt lock was designed by Jim Ryan (Gemtech co-founder) and produced by GSL Technology, who was our prime subcontractor (and partner).

The baffle stack in the earlier weapons was the series of M-baffles and spacers found in the original Outback .22 can. In later Operator/Quantum suppressors the stack was a series of 6 K-baffles as in our highly successful Outback-II. The front endcap (and the just inside encapsulator ring) were sealed with Loctite (242 blue, as I recall). A total of 32 Operator suppressed Ruger MK2 pistols were made with the first in 1994 and the last in 2000.

That’s awesome! Thanks for the details!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:40:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#11]
That's cool as shit man!

I would kill so many rats with that thing
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PHD:
addition of tritium inserts in the target sights,
View Quote

Any advice on getting the sights re-lamped? I think I've gone past their half-life. ;)

But, seriously, thanks for the info. I'm now old enough to have a bunch of stuff whose story I have forgotten.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kc3:

Any advice on getting the sights re-lamped? I think I've gone past their half-life. ;)

But, seriously, thanks for the info. I'm now old enough to have a bunch of stuff whose story I have forgotten.
View Quote

I forget who lamped them originally. Most of the current night sight folk simply replace sights, but you should inquire. The front sight is a standard Ruger, but has been modified (radius on the base changed, hook milled off).

Half life on tritium is in the vicinity of 7.5 years, so they are probably at less that 25% brilliance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kc3:
View Quote
Ask these guys: https://tooltechgunsight.com/

If your sights are replaceable, it's usually cheaper to swap them yourself, but they have the capability to replace only the vials/lamps.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

If your sights are replaceable, it's usually cheaper to swap them yourself, but they have the capability to replace only the vials/lamps.
View Quote

On the rear sight, you can send just the blade. They use two tiny bar lamps. The front sight is a little trickier, but you will need to send in the sight rather than get a replacement. As I said before, the sight was modified to a lower profile to compensate for the diameter difference between the original bull barrel and the 1" suppressor tube. I can't remember if the screw holding the front sight is the original 6-40 (slot head) or if it is a 4-40 screw (Allen hex). Either way, there is a drop of Loctite, so a little heat may be necessary. If you goober the screw, I do have some replacements.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#16]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

View Quote

Thank you.  I have an SRT that is way quieter than anything, but my tritiums died, so I put a dot on it.   This is good info.  

I love the integral.  It silences away the best cans - Mask/ Occulus on a MKII.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info, guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top