Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2024 8:57:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter8282]
Remington 870. 7 round Esstac shotgun card.

Interference as shown. Will switching to a Magpul 870 forend resolve this?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a shorter card.  Or get the Dremel out.

@nachodip
@nacho-dip
@esstac
@esstac-
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Researching please give me a moment.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hunter8282:
Remington 870. 7 round Esstac shotgun card.

Interference as shown. Will switching to a Magpul 870 forend resolve this?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349095/Screenshot_20240424_205430_jpg-3197118.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349095/Screenshot_20240424_205453_jpg-3197120.JPG
View Quote

The magpul pump will still come back about 3/8 of an inch according to the photos I found. You need to move the Velcro back or aft on the reciever about an inch and you’ll be fine with most fore ends. There is a variation of the surefire that will be fine and a couple oem fire ends that look like they would work as well. Most of the current ones are very large and come back an inch or more.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:47:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#4]
This isn’t some new or unknown thing. The 870 express forend overlaps the receiver. He can’t use any standard length shell card or side saddle. As noted, he either needs a new forend, get out a dremel or use a shorter card. Speedfeed forends are cheap and plentiful. New they are $20 or he can search around on eBay
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARgonot] [#5]
A good alternative is the Hogue forend. I use the 7 round Esstac card and the Hogue forend doesn't interfere at all. I use the Magpul stock, but I never liked the Magpul forend.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARgonot:
A good alternative is the Hogue forend. I use the 7 round Esstac card and the Hogue forend doesn't interfere at all. I use the Magpul stock, but I never liked the Magpul forend.
View Quote

I have the hogue one as well. I do remember though the Velcro needed to be not flush with the front of the reciever like op has his. Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of the opposite side and I am not able to get to it right now. The magpul or gouge will be fine if op moves the Velcro back 3/8 of an inch or so. Might suggest 3/4 of an inch for a little space. The 7rd card should still work fine.

his.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:13:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#7]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

I have the hogue one as well. I do remember though the Velcro needed to be not flush with the front of the reciever like op has his. Unfortunately I don’t have a photo of the opposite side and I am not able to get to it right now. The magpul or gouge will be fine if op moves the Velcro back 3/8 of an inch or so. Might suggest 3/4 of an inch for a little space. The 7rd card should still work fine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77421/IMG_20171005_125709_01-325144.JPGhis.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NachoDip:
Originally Posted By ARgonot:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77421/IMG_20171005_125709_01-325144.JPGhis.

Back when I was using the 870 regularly my favorite set up with the Hogue forend and their short 12” LOP stock. Made for a clean and short set up.

On one of my old 870s, a 20” model I installed an 8 round Mesa Tactical side saddle, took it to a class without testing it since I thought I was working with parts I was already familiar with with except I had never paired the 8 round MT side saddle with a Surefire forend, I had only ever used the 6 round side saddle and when I racked the action it felt like it cycled and a test shell came out but I didn’t notice that with the older Surefire forend I couldn’t rack the action all the way back it was just barely clearing ejection port leaving no room for error. Fast forward a week later at a class and I started having failures to eject now that I was using actual spent shells and that’s when I discovered my mistake. I ended up just cutting a 1” rectangle out of the side of my Surefire foreend with rusty hacksaw borrowed from a fellow student from the back of his truck. I sold that old 870 years ago, so if anyone comes across an older model 870 Surefire with a haphazardly cut rectangle out of the back left of the foreend, I did that. Sorry, I really wanted to use that side saddle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MK318:

Back when I was using the 870 regularly my favorite set up with the Hogue forend and their short 12” LOP stock. Made for a clean and short set up.

On one of my old 870s, a 20” model I installed an 8 round Mesa Tactical side saddle, took it to a class without testing it since I thought I was working with parts I was already familiar with with except I had never paired the 8 round MT side saddle with a Surefire forend, I had only ever used the 6 round side saddle and when I racked the action it felt like it cycled and a test shell came out but I didn’t notice that with the older Surefire forend I couldn’t rack the action all the way back it was just barely clearing ejection port leaving no room for error. Fast forward a week later at a class and I started having failures to eject now that I was using actual spent shells and that’s when I discovered my mistake. I ended up just cutting a 1” rectangle out of the side of my Surefire foreend with rusty hacksaw borrowed from a fellow student from the back of his truck. I sold that old 870 years ago, so if anyone comes across an older model 870 Surefire with a haphazardly cut rectangle out of the back left of the foreend, I did that. Sorry, I really wanted to use that side saddle.
View Quote

Damn. Dedicated to use it for sure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep that will work too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I found these pictures which makes me think the Magpul will be ok.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARgonot] [#12]
Here's a closeup of the Hogue forend. The overlap is slight. It looks like the Magpul forend will work as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top