Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2024 6:11:19 PM EDT
Did I mess up?    I went to the notary to ask if they will notarize a firearm trust, as all of the banks here won't notarize a trust.   The notary signed as one of the witnesses saying that in Florida they could.  Quick google search says that they can signs as one of the two witnesses.  Will that be a problem if I move out of state or will it be good enough that the Trust was created in Florida. thx
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
That would not make sense to me...
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#2]
IDK, but from https://flnotary.com/blog/what-is-a-witness-signature/

Who Can Be a Witness?
A witness is someone who physically watches a person sign a legal document and then verifies its authenticity by signing their name. A notary can be a witness, but so can anyone else who meets the following requirements:

A legal adult (over the age of 18)
A neutral third party (someone who is not involved in the document/transaction)
Can confirm the identity of the signer
Has the mental capacity to make decisions without assistance
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I emailed National Gun Trusts and they recommended getting a new copy notarized.  I'm going to go that route.  Rather be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Ohio notary here, not Florida, so take it for what it’s worth.

I can sign as a witness on a document and notarize it ONLY IF the witness signatures are not being notarized. (Notaries can’t notarize their own signature.)
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:01:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiteryno] [#5]
Your bank or UPS store for notary and take a friend or family member if you need a second witness...

Did mine at my bank years ago and gf now wife was the second witness..  quick and easy

and yes the notary was one of the witnesses..
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whiteryno:
Your bank or UPS store for notary and take a friend or family member if you need a second witness...

Did mine at my bank years ago and gf now wife was the second witness..  quick and easy

and yes the notary was one of the witnesses..
View Quote

I think you misunderstood.  I already have it done.  Just didn't know if there was going to be a problem.  Sounds like your's is good, so mine should be too.  I was just worried about getting denied or if I moved to a different state.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
ahh ok yea have had no issues with approvals.  for the last 9 years  and 15+ stamps.  you should be gtg
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Appreciate the knowledge!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top