Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2023 11:45:37 PM EDT
Got the Woodsrunner out today for its maiden voyage.

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:33:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#1]
That's a cool stop-action picture!    .54?     I'd appreciate feedback on how much you have to adjust your sights.   I wound up putting on a taller rear sight.

@Dangus
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
This one's a .50.  I didn't do any load development or serious sighting in.  Just got it in the ballpark at 25 and enough for Kentucky windage on the steel plate at 50.  I ran 60gr FFF, .490 balls, and I think .010" off-the-shelf lubed patches.  Didn't need a ball starter or anything, and honestly, I'd like to find a good load I that'll work for me without a ball starter if I can (I have one, but they're technically not really historically correct).

This is my first flintlock, so I was mostly familiarizing myself with the rifle.  Getting used to the mechanics, figuring out how much powder works best in the pan, working the flint when it dulls, etc.  

I did take some files as well as a slightly taller set of sights after seeing all the reports of folks having to file Kibler's front down to a nub.  I think I've seen some of your discussion on the topic over at MLF that pointed me toward these:

Front:  https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/874/1/FS-PA-38-B

Rear:  https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/880/1/RS-FG-16

I opened up the rear V a good bit with a triangle file.  Polishing up the face of front blade a bit with a file cleans up the casting and brightens it up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:25:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#3]
I had a rude awakening w/mine as far as accuracy. I admit it's mostly me. I could kill a deer with it, but I gotta work on form, technique, patching, lube, etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:
That's a cool stop-action picture!    .54?     I'd appreciate feedback on how much you have to adjust your sights.   I wound up putting on a taller rear sight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228605/IMG_1a-2858354.jpg

@Dangus
View Quote

Adjust your load up or down at the range you wish it to be zeroed at. Once close you can either lightly file off the front or deepen the rear to fine tune it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!   thanks for sharing this.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mechanicuss:
I had a rude awakening w/mine as far as accuracy. I admit it's mostly me. I could kill a deer with it, but I gotta work on form, technique, patching, lube, etc.
View Quote

I flinch about every shot. I gotta work on that lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Getting used to an explosion going off a few inches from your face takes getting used to.  Follow through,i.e. holding the sight picture through the entire shot, is important with flintlocks.  

Try just enough prime in the pan to go off.  You don't need to completely fill the pan.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Chas:
Getting used to an explosion going off a few inches from your face takes getting used to.  Follow through,i.e. holding the sight picture through the entire shot, is important with flintlocks.  

Try just enough prime in the pan to go off.  You don't need to completely fill the pan.
View Quote

Yes, newb mistake as I’ve been over filling the pan evidently as there’s too much delay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top