Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2024 5:34:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE]
That dark finish sure is pretty when Jim Kibler put it on his striped maple on youtube
It ended up a dark, deep honey red but he said it normally doesn’t turn out that warm without ending up adding an aniline dye to the oil to warm it up

Anyone have any experience putting tannic acid on before the iron nitrate?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:01:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dangus] [#1]
I followed Jim's process pretty closely on this one.  I did not add any coloring.

Tannic Acid > Iron Nitrate >Tannic Acid > Iron Nitrate > Blush > Tried & True Varnish Oil cut w/Turpentine scrubbed in w/maroon scotch-bright.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that’s beautiful and the look I’m going for.
Have just the Iron nitrate now and the ferric acid is supposed to be here today
I’ll be using Trueoil, as well.

The browning of my barrel will be finished this AM and will begin the stock finishing

Hope mine turns out half as nice as yours
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:24:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dangus] [#3]
Be prepared for a lot of scrubbing to get back to the figure. It was more than I was expecting. When I thought I had it done and might be stuck with some funky looking dark areas… I was able to scrub some more.  

I also discovered a couple of greenish areas that needed more blushing after my first coat of Tried & True. It’s tough to see the blushing when everything is black. I was inspecting the finish with a flashlight when I ran across them. I was able to reheat them with no problem at the point and continue the oiling process.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 3:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE] [#4]
That’s very good to know you could blush it out again to get rid of the “green” after applying the Truoil

Best to be easier on the blushing, then.
Ive used a heatgun many times at work and know how easy it can scorch

Im hoping that I’ll get lucky and not have to warm things up adding dye to the oil
but that can always wait. We’ll see!

But this will all have to wait as I just got notified that the tannic acid won’t be here till Monday

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gODZOOKIE:
That’s very good to know you could blush it out again to get rid of the “green” after applying the Truoil

Best to be easier on the blushing, then.
Ive used a heatgun many times at work and know how easy it can scorch

Im hoping that I’ll get lucky and not have to warm things up adding dye to the oil
but that can always wait. We’ll see!

But this will all have to wait as I just got notified that the tannic acid won’t be here till Monday

Thanks
View Quote

Note I did not use Tru-Oil.  I used Tried & True Varnish Oil.  Two different critters.  Tru-Oil starts to dry and polymerize much quicker, so I can't say how that might react to attempts to blush after curing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dangus:

Note I did not use Tru-Oil.  I used Tried & True Varnish Oil.  Two different critters.  Tru-Oil starts to dry and polymerize much quicker, so I can't say how that might react to attempts to blush after curing.
View Quote

Hmmm
Might rethink Tru-oil
Thanks for catching that
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gODZOOKIE] [#7]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Tried and True oil came in today (love the smell). Everything applied per Kibler. I was a little sloppy with the inlets lol

Glad I did this finish. The tannic acid really made the striping pop.
A couple more wipes with the oil and time to put it all back together
Thanks again, Dangus!

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking good!  You’ve got some nice figure going on there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top