Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2023 8:32:05 PM EDT
I have never fired a flintlock but would like to take advantage of the late season hunt in PA, a year from now. Not the upcoming one.

So far I'm leaning towards the Investarms Deer Stalker or the Traditions PA Pellet. The PA Pellet is lighter with a longer barrel and removable breech plug. Both have fiber optic sights. Seems like the Deer Stalker is a little better quality but weight matters, we'll be walking quite a bit. I like the idea of a removable breech plug for cleaning purposes.

This would just be to get my feet wet. If I end up liking the flintlock I'll drop the coin for something better. Is anyone here shooting one of these two? Do you like it? Any other suggestions for an entry level flintlock? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a traditions and got one (a lefty!) PA Pellet for my son. They're both .50 cal and a ton of fun to burn powder for an outing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BentLink:
I have a traditions and got one (a lefty!) PA Pellet for my son. They're both .50 cal and a ton of fun to burn powder for an outing.
View Quote

Glad to hear you're enjoying them. I'm leaning towards the PA Pellet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:01:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#3]
With a flintlock there is a slight delay that does not exist with a cap or muskets that use a 209 primer.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:12:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#4]
The late muzzleloader season in PA is flintlock only. Otherwise I'd be using one of my other muzzleloaders.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:16:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#5]
What about a flintlock pistol that at least gets the fire flash away from your face .
https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/flintlock-pistols/products/traditions-trapper-pistol-flintlock
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I would opt for the investarms really well made firearm
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
With a flintlock there is a slight delay that does not exist with a cap or muskets that use a 209 primer.  

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/tarn-1226108-887.jpg
View Quote

Not if the flintlock is made properly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Ordered a PA Pellet. Looking forward to tinkering with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top