Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2024 11:41:41 PM EDT
Does it seem like only Individuals are getting Form 1's and Form 4's approved?  Seems like trust approvals have slowed way down.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is just individuals have sped way way up. My last one was 3 months. I have about 35 cans, a mix of trust and individual. All individual from now on unless I am doing another machinegun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Read the updated eforms FAQ, it explains why individual are coming back faster than trusts

Speculation in other threads is they might've automated the process for individual submissions
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
My shortest form1 Ind. was 6 days. That was last month.

Filed another one this morning.

Hoping for a similar turn around time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Just wonder if these super fast approval times was just because of the anticipation of the shutdown last week.  ATF was probably just clearing some backlog before taking things down. No reason to expect they suddenly improved their efficiency by 787%.

We’ll have to see now that eforms is back up if we’ll still see some of these super fast approval times.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#5]
They put out the reason, they finally changed how they do things to what any right thinking organization would do, rather than first in First out, where your forms are stuck behind a bunch ones  under review, if you pass NICS you get approved and sent out. They should literally take days from now one for most individual forms.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Just wonder if these super fast approval times was just because of the anticipation of the shutdown last week.  ATF was probably just clearing some backlog before taking things down. No reason to expect they suddenly improved their efficiency by 787%.

We’ll have to see now that eforms is back up if we’ll still see some of these super fast approval times.
View Quote

I just got back 2 this morning filed on 1/24 and 2/26.  Bundling indeed appears to be a thing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
My first and only eform 1 trust has been pending since July. Not sure if that’s helpful or not, but it sure is frustrating.

My other NFA items have been form 4s, so long waits are normal to me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By vlarg:
Does it seem like only Individuals are getting Form 1's and Form 4's approved?  Seems like trust approvals have slowed way down.
View Quote

In the last week I've had a dozen eForm 4's approved. Eight were from trusts, all submitted in January 2024.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

In the last week I've had a dozen eForm 4's approved. Eight were from trusts, all submitted in January 2024.
View Quote

From trusts even. That's a good sign. Seems like everything I've seen previously was individual.
Perhaps the speed up delay for trusts was because of the extra RPs and trust reviews.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SCARed:

From trusts even. That's a good sign. Seems like everything I've seen previously was individual.
Perhaps the speed up delay for trusts was because of the extra RPs and trust reviews.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Trusts do require more processing time, and they've acknowledged that in the FAQ in eForms.

Q. Why do trust applications take longer to process than individual applications?

Trust applications require the examiner to perform several additional steps of review than an individual application. For example, the examiner must read each trust document to ensure it is a legitimate trust.  The examiner must also read each trust document to ensure every responsible person to the trust submitted the required responsible person questionnaire.  The examiner must also review each trust regardless of whether the same trust was used for a prior application because the terms of that trust may vary between applications.

Q. Are there other factors other than the review process that result in longer processing times for trusts?

Yes. The most common reasons attributable to trust processing delays include:

o  Failure to submit a responsible person questionnaire and fingerprint cards for each responsible person named on the trust;

o  Failure to submit a valid trust, e.g., there is only one person named in the trust who is the settlor, trustee, and beneficiary;

o  The name of the trust on the NFA application is different than the name of the trust in the trust document; and

o  The background check is delayed for one or more individuals identified as responsible persons. For example, if one of three identified responsible persons background check is delayed by FBI-NICS, then NFA Division cannot process the application until the delayed background check is resolved.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#11]
An ATF Examiner told me five years ago that they just have a checklist for each state, that shows the requirements for a valid trust in that state.
I think he said it takes about five minutes or less to scan through a trust and tick off the checklist.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
All mine are now in Trusts.

Early Feb I submitted a F1 with a 2 day turnaround.

I submitted another F1 on 2/25 and it was approved today.  9 days.

I have two F4's submitted on 2/22.... who knows how long those will take.

So, i don't think on F1's they are favoring Individuals over trusts, but they might be on F4's.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Trusts do require more processing time, and they've acknowledged that in the FAQ in eForms.

View Quote

Ya, not new to the process. What's new is the super quick approval times. Yet this is the first time since beginning of Feb that we are seeing faster approvals for trusts. I was guessing as to why.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Ya, not new to the process. What's new is the super quick approval times. Yet this is the first time since beginning of Feb that we are seeing faster approvals for trusts. I was guessing as to why.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There's also hints to that in other entries in the FAQ.  It would seem they were adhering so hard to weird FIFO processing standard, that if an application ended up with a delayed or unresolved BG check, it somehow must of prevented the examiner from setting that one aside and moving on to other applications until the delayed one was finalized one way or another.

Now they are prioritizing those applications that get an immediate approval through NICS, and finishing them as soon as that's done and that's why everything seems to be moving so much faster.

Q. Has NFA Division implemented processing changes to reduce the number of pending applications?

Yes. For example, NFA Division is shifting resources to processing applications that have received a proceed from FBI-NICS in response to the required background check.

Q. Are NFA applications processed in a first in, first out basis?

No. NFA applications were previously processed in a first in, first out basis. Adhering to the first in, first out basis resulted in processing delays for NFA applications with a proceeded background check. For example, a NFA application with a proceeded background check would not be processed until a NFA application with a delayed background check was resolved. While first in, first out is a guiding principle, NFA Division will focus its resources to processing those NFA applications that have received a proceed from FBI-NICS in response to the required background check. Accordingly, NFA Division will process NFA applications as it receives background check responses from FBI-NICS. However, NFA Division will submit background checks to FBI-NICS in the order applications are received.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Have an e4 trust from 12/19 still pending.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Two trust Form 1s approved in 7 days in last two months.  Separate submissions.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Just filed an eform 1 on a trust and it took 11 days. Filed 2/14 and approved 2/24  If you filed on a trust in the last 2yrs you can file a 24 month trust exemption letter. I also admend my trust so I am the only RP. Used EFT.

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/24-month-exemption-for-nfa-gun-trust-and-legal-entity-documentation
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:58:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#18]
Honest truth the ATF had done me no favors with this. The impulse can buys will skyrocket for me if I can start getting them in a couple of weeks. My wallet shudders at the consequences of this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jt526:
Honest truth the ATF had done me no favors with this. The impulse can buys will skyrocket for me if I can start getting them in a couple of weeks. My wallet shudders at the consequences of this.
View Quote

And the cycle begins..........

Faster processing times mean more people buying NFA.
More people buying NFA means the processing times slow down.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#20]
My last 2 Eform 4 Trusts were approx 170-180 days. Better than it has been, but I wouldn't mind a lot faster turnaround.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:57:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#21]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

And the cycle begins..........

Faster processing times mean more people buying NFA.
More people buying NFA means the processing times slow down.

View Quote

The good news is that with more examiners and processes it should still be faster than before, on the average that is…
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimEb] [#22]
Right now Silencer Shop says they are averaging 17 days on eform 4 individual!!

This is based on the previous 7 days of their submissions. Wish they told the sample size but they probably don’t want to advertise their sales volumes.

EDIT:  got my approval, guess I’m below average as it was only 4 days.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:51:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#23]
Originally Posted By jt526:
They put out the reason, they finally changed how they do things to what any right thinking organization would do, rather than first in First out, where your forms are stuck behind a bunch ones  under review, if you pass NICS you get approved and sent out. They should literally take days from now one for most individual forms.

View Quote

I bet the ones in trusts get double delayed. Yay
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#24]
Just submitted a trust F4 and will start another later this week.  
Let’s see what happens.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:
Just submitted a trust F4 and will start another later this week.  
Let’s see what happens.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/958/IMG_5876_jpeg-3157325.JPG
View Quote

100 days less than my last suppressor at least. Couple more .months to go for me
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#26]
By time I get to that point it will be back to a year wait from everyone jumping on the band wagon trying to get fast approvals!
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a eForm 1 on a trust approved on 11 March, submitted on 27 February, 13 days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

100 days less than my last suppressor at least. Couple more .months to go for me
View Quote

True, My Mask took 280 days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Eform 4 Trust submitted November 13th, 2023 approved today, March 13th 2024.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCARed] [#30]
Talked to my dealer today and asked what they're seeing for trusts. They've seen a several Single Shot Trusts come back super fast, but not a single Traditional type trust. I'm wondering if that's because the SS trusts are a specific template by state and don't change, vs a traditional can be made by many different people and can all vary, increasing the time needed to review.

I had a can just arrive at my FFL from SilencerShop set up with my trusts info, ready to certify. I'm having them reissue the paperwork as an individual cause I need a little instant ( well, a couple day) gratification.

And since I see a number of Form1 people piping up with how fast they're approval are..... NO ONE CARES. Form 1s have always been fast, there's no change. No one is talking about form 1s, all the talk about recent fast approvals is just concerning Form 4s.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#31]

And since I see a number of Form1 people piping up with how fast they're approval are..... NO ONE CARES. Form 1s have always been fast, there's no change. No one is talking about form 1s, all the talk about recent fast approvals is just concerning Form 4s.
View Quote

Pretty sure the title says Form 1’s also….

And yes, F1’s are coming back much faster now too.  And yes, they have always been faster than F4’s typically.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Not to break any hearts but I just submitted a SBS on 3/4 and it came back this morning. Trust
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dogesco93:
Not to break any hearts but I just submitted a SBS on 3/4 and it came back this morning. Trust
View Quote

A Form 1?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Trust times still dropping.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:

A Form 1?
View Quote

Yep. F1 trust. Several previous approvals over the years from the same trust, so not necessarily a “new” one but who knows with the ATF
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I did a efile Form1 Trust through Silencer Shop on Tuesday night at 4:30pm. It was approved just now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By caduckgunner:
I did a efile Form1 Trust through Silencer Shop on Tuesday night at 4:30pm. It was approved just now.
View Quote

A regular trust or one of their single shot trusts?

I have a regular trust with one filed through SS and one through CA over the past 3 weeks and crickets.  I thought I had read the SS single shot trusts were going quickly though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By captexas:

A regular trust or one of their single shot trusts?

I have a regular trust with one filed through SS and one through CA over the past 3 weeks and crickets.  I thought I had read the SS single shot trusts were going quickly though.
View Quote
Regular. I had a way longer wait with SS than I did FtATF
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#40]
2 SST form 4 15 months and counting. 1 RP.
1 SST form 1 2 weeks and counting. 1 RP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Eform 1 trust with 3 RP submitted 3/14 a second one submitted a week later still waiting on approval

Eform 4 suppressor filed as individual last week 2 day approval

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top