Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2024 3:56:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OlympicArmsFan]
I am looking for my first suppressor and it will be a dedicated 5.56 can. I want the quietest can at the ear that I can get. I know, 5.56 will never be hearing safe, but I want something that is 140db or below. I’m also on a budget of $450-$550 just for the can.

My options, at least the ones I have found so far, are listed below. I’m also open to suggestions.

YHM T3 (really interested in this one)

YHM Turbo K-RB (thought about this one and I’ve look d at the Turbo K cans for years)

AB A-10 Warthog (very interesting can to me)

Otter Creek Labs Polonium

Otter Creek Labs Polonium K (very interested in this one as well)

So, suggested away and if you have experience with the cans listed above, feel free to tell me about them and your experience with them.

Update below -

I forgot to mention that my rifle is a 16" barrel and it is bone stock as far as triggers, gas tube, buffer weight (not sure of) and BCG. I plan to use this on 3-4 of my rifles until I can afford getting cans for those rifles. I know that YHM kind of locks you into a mounting system from the get go, but you can also use other mounting systems. I do like that YHM includes a mount.

I guess I should look into how to tune the guns to the can I go with. Any video suggestions on that? I typically run my rifles with stock triggers and the buffer that came with them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you sourcing them for this price?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BIGSHOOTER414:
Where are you sourcing them for this price?
View Quote

Silencer shop. I believe the Otter Creek ones are a little more than 550 and I can swing that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:40:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Captain92] [#3]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:

Silencer shop. I believe the Otter Creek ones are a little more than 550 and I can swing that.
View Quote

If it were me, I would go Otter Creek Polonium. You won't go wrong with anything YHM either in your price range as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Your #1 priority is suppression, so you're looking at K cans?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
View Quote

Highest suppression level for a given size seems like a worthwhile criteria.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Otter creek
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KM6:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KM6:
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:

I don't see size mentioned in OPs criteria.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Either Polonium gets my vote. Andrew and his guys are a bunch of good ol boys from Kentucky who have made a solid product.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]

This is my poloK on a 11.5” upper.  It is not exactly quiet but it has a pleasant tone and takes the edge off enough that if I needed to shoot the gun unsuppressed I wouldn’t hesitate to do it nor would my ears be bleeding afterwords.

On a 14.5” it is much more pleasant and is not an issue to shoot unsuppressed in my opinion. It may not exactly be hearing safe but it’s again way more comfortable then shooting without a suppressor.

I am using diligent defense zilch adapter and cherry bomb or rearden flash hiders.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#10]
The AB-10 is my favorite 5.56 can.

I have a Polonium K, it seems louder and has more flash than the A10, but the Poloniums are built rock solid. I have not personally fired the full-size Polonium or compared it, so will not give an opinion although I've never heard a bad thing about it.  

The A10 is closer to weight with the Polonium K and closer to size with the full-size Polonium.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#11]
YHM Turbo T3 for that price for sure.
Ditch the QD system it comes with for the YHM sRx system. It’s WAY shorter, lighter, and nicer looking.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:04:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#12]
Originally Posted By zentradi:

I have a Polonium K, it seems louder and has more flash than the A10, but the Poloniums are built rock solid. I have not personally fired the full-size Polonium or compared it, so will not give an opinion although I've never heard a bad thing about it.  

The A10 is closer to weight with the Polonium K and closer to size with the full-size Polonium.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14200/otter_dump_png-3169325.JPG

View Quote

That chart is completely useless without context, barrel specs, or muzzle devices listed.

3 mags full auto? Might be relevant.
A YouTube bait 500 round full auto dump? Don’t care.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#13]

Otter Creek Labs Polonium
View Quote
This. But that's just the beginning. You'll also want to get an adjustable gas block, and maybe decent barrel like a 12.5"-14.5" with a midlength gas system.   To get the best from this suppressor, you need a properly tuned rifle.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a Griffin Recce 5 ( and maybe I'd still recommend one, even with tuning).

I own both.

If you really are serious about a quiet can, you actually want the Otter Creek OCM5, but you need a barrel specially adapted for it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

That chart is completely useless without context, barrel specs, or muzzle devices listed.

View All Quotes

That's  really good you don't  care and thank you for caring  enough  to share that with everyone.

For anyone else who doesn't  know about Otter's testing and does care to know, the information  is available.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]

That's  really good you don't  care and thank you for caring  enough  to share that with everyone.

For anyone else who doesn't  know about Otter's testing and does care to know, the information  is available.  
View All Quotes

I care because I am trying to learn. The market of cans is so vast that I get lost in it all. Post the information and links if you got them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone asked, why the K can, simple. Its smaller and sometimes lighter. Now the Polonium K is 2 DB louder than the standard size Polonium. Not sure our ears would notice the difference, but maybe. I have not seen the ratings for YHM K cans, I'm guessing that they are a bit louder than the Polonium K.

Now, if anyone has some good info on the AB A-10 Warthog I would love that info as well. Its been on my list since I started to seriously look at cans. I want to get one this year.

The YHM T3 is another one that has a lot of info out there on it. I'm guessing that the T3 and Warthog perform about the same. I can't find enough videos out there on the Warthog that don't feel a bit biased in some way. I also feel like the Warthog might be the sleeper can of the bunch.

I did an updated post above the rifles that I want to run my can on. It will be 3-4 difference rifles but all basically the same specs. These are 16" rifles with one of them having a low profile gas block. The other three have a FSB. I have no clue what the buffer weight is. The gas systems are standard mil spec.

I'm open to suggestions and links that will help me learn more. This is a big rabbit hole once you start looking, you can't help but keep going down that hole.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Budget Price, High End Performance: OCL Polonium K review

The Polonium K is a great little suppressor. I really like mine and it punches above its weight class.

Another great option is the Griffin Recce 5K. It’s not HUB, but it is low backpressure.

The Goldilocks Suppressor? Griffin Recce 5K Review
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]

I care because I am trying to learn. The market of cans is so vast that I get lost in it all. Post the information and links if you got them.
View Quote
lol. Wait until you start researching suppressor mounts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I just bought a polo k and a nomad. I wanted a 30 cal can hence the nomad. It is longer then my polo but it is also quieter. I think they both are equally as gassy. I am using the same plan b adapter in both cans.

The polo k has good specs and it seems quieter and less gassy then my old trek that it is replacing. Is it the quietest can ever? No. I haven’t shot it on a 16” gun but on a 14.5” it does well enough and let’s be honest if you are out shooting at the range or in the woods your probably going to be wearing ears anyway.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzGB1AZrlQ

The Polonium K is a great little suppressor. I really like mine and it punches above its weight class.

Another great option is the Griffin Recce 5K. It’s not HUB, but it is low backpressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPdKVmd5Zw
View Quote

Thank you! I’ll watch the hose videos. The Griffin Recce 5K was another suppressor I started looking at but for some reason I went a different direction. I know the great stuff. I’ll add it back into the mix and do some more research on them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

Don’t. Shut up! I see what you did there lol. I saw a video the other day explaining mounts and I was like why is there a video. That is the second rabbit hole I’ve gone down.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
I just bought a polo k and a nomad. I wanted a 30 cal can hence the nomad. It is longer then my polo but it is also quieter. I think they both are equally as gassy. I am using the same plan b adapter in both cans.

The polo k has good specs and it seems quieter and less gassy then my old trek that it is replacing. Is it the quietest can ever? No. I haven’t shot it on a 16” gun but on a 14.5” it does well enough and let’s be honest if you are out shooting at the range or in the woods your probably going to be wearing ears anyway.
View Quote

True and I’m wanting something to tame the boom down inside my house should I have to use it. I know my ears will ring but hopefully not as bad as it would without a can.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:15:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#23]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
This. But that's just the beginning. You'll also want to get an adjustable gas block, and maybe decent barrel like a 12.5"-14.5" with a midlength gas system.   To get the best from this suppressor, you need a properly tuned rifle.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a Griffin Recce 5 ( and maybe I'd still recommend one, even with tuning).

I own both.

If you really are serious about a quiet can, you actually want the Otter Creek OCM5, but you need a barrel specially adapted for it.
View Quote
the OCM5 is a very quiet can for sure.  And I agree on tuning the gun, or buying a barrel that’s choked down already, if sound reduction (at any point of measure) is a top priority. I also agree with the range of barrel lengths you’re posting.

For tuning the gun, I recommend BRT EZ Tune, or perhaps a Wojtek  gas block. I haven’t used my Wojtek AGB enough to speak to longevity, but the adjustment is finer than my SLRs. “Best” results are usually obtained with medium weight buffers and regular, non-exotic springs in combination with choking the gas down.

I don’t have any of those cans in the OP.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone asked, why the K can, simple. Its smaller and sometimes lighter. Now the Polonium K is 2 DB louder than the standard size Polonium. Not sure our ears would notice the difference, but maybe. I have not seen the ratings for YHM K cans, I'm guessing that they are a bit louder than the Polonium K.

Now, if anyone has some good info on the AB A-10 Warthog I would love that info as well. Its been on my list since I started to seriously look at cans. I want to get one this year.

The YHM T3 is another one that has a lot of info out there on it. I'm guessing that the T3 and Warthog perform about the same. I can't find enough videos out there on the Warthog that don't feel a bit biased in some way. I also feel like the Warthog might be the sleeper can of the bunch.

I did an updated post above the rifles that I want to run my can on. It will be 3-4 difference rifles but all basically the same specs. These are 16" rifles with one of them having a low profile gas block. The other three have a FSB. I have no clue what the buffer weight is. The gas systems are standard mil spec.

I'm open to suggestions and links that will help me learn more. This is a big rabbit hole once you start looking, you can't help but keep going down that hole.
View Quote

Yep, it's quite a trip just figuring things out. For the criteria given, you're looking at the same options I would be. I'm glad to not see the Sandman K on there, that thing is just completely obsolete these days. I spent some time last summer with one (5.56 FH end cap) on a 16" BA Hanson barrel so I can offer some insight there:

The weight, and even balance, surprisingly wasn't terrible at all, but you will definitely feel some fatigue if you're shooting off-hand for more than a couple magazines of drills in a row. That system weight (muzzle device + can) isn't a deal breaker but I wouldn't want more. The length starts to get into ridiculous musket territory for a carbine. What kind of shooting do you typically do?

Someone remarked how great the recoil impulse was. This rifle does not have any gas-adjusting features, just an A5H0 buffer with Sprinco green and Aero Breacher charging handle. The gas blowback was existent but quite mild. I'd bet most couldn't tell the difference at all between 2 dBs (and probably more) outside, especially with ear pro. It will never be truly "quiet." People do seem interested in "how" things sound, the tone produced. I don't think you'll find an accurate representation on recorded video, maybe for comparative purposes at best.

Since you want it to work well on all your rifles, I would prioritize low back-pressure, to eliminate the need for tuning that might compromise reliability unsuppressed, your priorities may vary. Other reasons are gas in the face and (usually) lower ejection port signature, it's a balance.

I think the taper/thread style of mounting (Plan A/Rearden/Plan B/Xeno/CAT) is the way to go.

I'd lean toward the Recce 5K because of its strong emphasis on low flash, especially if you ever got into shorter barrels, but otherwise it's a tough call.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#25]
look at length, weight, mounting system before chasing dB levels. outside of 30 cal K cans, most 556 cans all sound similar.

I always recommend the griffin explorr 224/30. short, light, and sound good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in the same boat as the OP.  Specifically came here for advice on a first time can on a 5.56 16".  I also couldn't care less about anything but decibel reduction.  Long, heavy, wide, gas blowback, and potentially older designs don't scare me off - I just want to be confident that shooting the firearm in a defense situation without earpro won't leave me temporarily deaf.  

I think it's kind of crazy that there's so much info out there about every other aspect of the #1 rifle in America except when it comes to suppressors.  I guess the variability in testing methods is one reason why it's hard to be objective.  And the prevalence of opinions weighing on looks and compactness of design further muddy the waters when you're looking for max dB reduction.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Hatchet78:
I'm in the same boat as the OP.  Specifically came here for advice on a first time can on a 5.56 16".  I also couldn't care less about anything but decibel reduction.  Long, heavy, wide, gas blowback, and potentially older designs don't scare me off - I just want to be confident that shooting the firearm in a defense situation without earpro won't leave me temporarily deaf.  

I think it's kind of crazy that there's so much info out there about every other aspect of the #1 rifle in America except when it comes to suppressors.  I guess the variability in testing methods is one reason why it's hard to be objective.  And the prevalence of opinions weighing on looks and compactness of design further muddy the waters when you're looking for max dB reduction.

View Quote

That's because you can take the best, most restrictive can in the world but without properly tuning it to the host you won't get the most performance out of it. Then you have to take other variables such as Host, ammo, etc into account. It's not as straight forward as people make it out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#28]
I’d disagree that the following can be generalized much to other circumstances, but indoors on an untuned 16” host, “quietest” can have some widely differing meanings. The most “balanced” silencer will usually be perceived as quieter for a given form factor in the given scenario. Among what’s in my personal safe, that’s the M4SD-k. There’s a $200 rebate on those right now. It’s a bit heavy on a 16”, but it’s the right length and sound. I’d consider a Turbo T3, also, based on my experience with previous models. Or an Explorr or Polonium. Maybe an OCM5 or AEM5 if the length parameters work for you. Those last two are very quiet, but not short. Probably the quietest cans I’ve used on a supersonic rifle round. Then again, I’ve only used them on 18” precision rifles, and I don’t own any longer cans.

Everything’s a tradeoff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#29]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

That's because you can take the best, most restrictive can in the world but without properly tuning it to the host you won't get the most performance out of it. Then you have to take other variables such as Host, ammo, etc into account. It's not as straight forward as people make it out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
Originally Posted By Hatchet78:

I would go so far as to say, that people don't want to admit when they purchase a piece of shit or even anything that's not that great. When it comes to purchasing something that isn't cheap, takes a long time to acquire and you can't get rid of in any practical sense without losing a bunch of money. AKA, purchase validation.

It's where terminology like "tone" comes from.

IMO.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks everyone for the info and help. I am still doing my research. I wish there was more information on the AB A-10 Warthog 556 can. I am also trying to figure out the mounting systems as well.

Are there cans that like certain mounting systems better? And what ones will void the warranty?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks everyone for the info and help. I am still doing my research. I wish there was more information on the AB A-10 Warthog 556 can. I am also trying to figure out the mounting systems as well.

Are there cans that like certain mounting systems better? And what ones will void the warranty?
View Quote

Sage Dynamics has the most thorough review of the AB A-10 556 through his Patreon channel. If you're this curious and are going to spend this much, a couple bucks to watch the video is worth it. Personally, I like Aaron and respect everything he has brought to the public but after his Sierra 5 review especially I can't take his perspective as gospel. But, it's the best end-user look at it so far.

Warranty with mounting systems, particularly anything HUB, is going to depend on the suppressor manufacturer. For example, OCL's is extremely forgiving for all but idiotic permanent mods to the actual suppressor itself, while YHM will charge a reasonable fee for a baffle strike with another brand's mounting system.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

Sage Dynamics has the most thorough review of the AB A-10 556 through his Patreon channel. If you're this curious and are going to spend this much, a couple bucks to watch the video is worth it. Personally, I like Aaron and respect everything he has brought to the public but after his Sierra 5 review especially I can't take his perspective as gospel. But, it's the best end-user look at it so far.

Warranty with mounting systems, particularly anything HUB, is going to depend on the suppressor manufacturer. For example, OCL's is extremely forgiving for all but idiotic permanent mods to the actual suppressor itself, while YHM will charge a reasonable fee for a baffle strike with another brand's mounting system.
View All Quotes

I do like his videos, but I'm not paying any YouTuber to watch one of their videos. I refuse to. We pay them to go and do the fun stuff while we go off to work a job that we hate. I did talk to FocusTrip and I think he is going to be doing a review on both the 556 and 30 cal can. He is looking to get his hands on some. Not sure when that will be. I wish I could see the Sage Dynamics video, but I am not paying to see it. YouTube has become a cesspool with that stuff lately. A lot of the channels are doing that and when it ends up being that way, I will just stop watching their videos. I was once a YouTuber who made partnership (had a stroke) and couldn't keep the channel going. That was the days YouTube paid you for your content and pushed you out there. Now they don't push gun channels so they go and make content and sell it. Its like OnlyFans but for guns haha.

I do like that YHM gives you a mount. I know its a love it or hate it type of deal. I actually don't mind it but then again, I am new to all of this and don't have the experience that you and everyone else has.

My local shop has a YHM T3 for $600. Its a little higher than Silencer Shop but he is local and my go to shop and works hard to keep his business going. I don't mind helping him out and maybe he will give me a price break too. But I am not ready to buy just yet either. I want to do my research and really make a good decision.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#33]
My $.02 (worth exactly what you paid for it)

I know you're researching dedicated 5.56 cans.  I generally steer first time can buyers away from dedicated 5.56 cans as their first suppressor for the simple fact that 5.56 sounds crappy even with the best cans.

Generally as a first rifle can I recommend a .30 cal can because they're more versatile.  Granted they don't suppress 5.56 as well but there's less gas to your face in an AR.

I have an AB raptor 8 and have shot it on a 16" barrel AR.  It sounded ok but got hot quick. It's a great can on a bolt gun!

I don't think any of your choices would be bad at all.  Of your choices I would lean towards the warthog or polonium.  

I've been leaning towards the OCL Polonium K but recently pulled the trigger on a M4SDII because it was in stock locally and I got a good deal.  It is heavy though
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Currently my only can is a griffin recce 5. I think it does a great job suppressing 5.56 (as much as you can). It balances beautifully on my 11.5,  really good on my 14.5s and slightly less so on my 16", but still pretty good. If I were to pick something specifically for a 16" I think weight would be a pretty big  factor. Further out you push things the more leverage you get. Based on my experience with griffin, I'd reccomend them. For a light 5.56 I'd tell you explorr. That said, the recce isn't bad on a 16" and is cheaper. I have no complaints running it on a 16" and it comes with a taper mount. Something to keep in mind when comparing prices to some of the other brands.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Luvman:
My $.02 (worth exactly what you paid for it)

I know you're researching dedicated 5.56 cans.  I generally steer first time can buyers away from dedicated 5.56 cans as their first suppressor for the simple fact that 5.56 sounds crappy even with the best cans.

Generally as a first rifle can I recommend a .30 cal can because they're more versatile.  Granted they don't suppress 5.56 as well but there's less gas to your face in an AR.

I have an AB raptor 8 and have shot it on a 16" barrel AR.  It sounded ok but got hot quick. It's a great can on a bolt gun!

I don't think any of your choices would be bad at all.  Of your choices I would lean towards the warthog or polonium.  

I've been leaning towards the OCL Polonium K but recently pulled the trigger on a M4SDII because it was in stock locally and I got a good deal.  It is heavy though
View Quote

My nomad is quieter on my 11.5 then my polo k. It’s longer by 1.7” and heavier by 3 ounces.  They both seem to be good cans but I only have 100 rounds through each.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

generally, brakes perform better suppressed. I'd do a flash hider with any amount of unsurpressed shooting though.

You do need to keep in mind blast baffle length, muzzle device length, and adapters too. some longer muzzle devices won't work with short adapters and cans with short blast baffles. Thats a major issue when mixing and matching silencers, mounts etc.

I prefer to avoid all that with griffin taper mounts and taper mount silencers. I can use any taper mount MD with any silencer and not have to worry about blast baffle interference. also no adapter to come loose, or add  length/weight.

Seriously, you'll be over analyzing for weeks looking for the "best" suppression. Pick the AEM5/OCM5 if you can tolerate the additional length, its about the quiestest you can get on 5.56 guns. But I'd still recommend short/light and the explorr 224/30. I love mine and all my customers rave about them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I’m still doing my research and hopefully I can make a decision soon.

The YHM T3 and Polonium are the two top runners right now. The AB A-10 Warthog is still of interest it not enough reviews yet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#38]

The YHM T3 and Polonium are the two top runners right now. The AB A-10 Warthog is still of interest it not enough reviews yet.
View Quote

Got my A-10 in my hot little hands after a 3 day approval. Now if it would just quit frigging raining so I can get out to the range.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HammerTech:

Got my A-10 in my hot little hands after a 3 day approval. Now if it would just quit frigging raining so I can get out to the range.
View All Quotes

Nice! And the rain doesn’t seem like it will let up. Keep me posted on it. Wish there were some good videos on the Warthog. It’s a very interesting can but an unknown commodity right now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Nice! And the rain doesn’t seem like it will let up. Keep me posted on it. Wish there were some good videos on the Warthog. It’s a very interesting can but an unknown commodity right now.
View Quote

AB Suppressor Warthog - 762 & 556!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Here you get subjective feedback with direct comparisons between the full-size Polonium, A-10 Warthog 5.56, and Razor556.

Did The Otter Creek Polonium 556 Actually Perform?

For a 16" (really anything 12.5" or longer IMO), I urge you to look at the Polo K over the full-size, the creator of it says the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#42]
The A-10 doesn't just sound good, it sounds different.  That's a wholly subjective opinion about sounding different, but there are days when it just sounds better than a 5.56 can should.   I love this can and the price is exceptional.  AB really nailed this one out of the park with the A-10.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Got a break in the rain and put a few rounds through the A-10 on a couple of my SBR's and 16" varmint rifle. Combination of Magtec FMJ and my hunting reloads. I'm using YHM QD mounts on all my rifles so I added the YHM HUB to the A-10. Plenty of depth in the A-10 to accept the full length YHM flash hider or brake.

The YHM adapter adds an inch over the direct thread mount. Definitely quieter than my Resonator K on the same rifles. I have H3 buffers in all my suppressed rifles and had no issues using the A-10. No earpro shooting the 10.3" barreled SBR or the 16". No POI change on any of the rifles. 5 for 5 on the coyote silhouette at 250 yds.

I'm totally satisfied with the A-10. Not my first AB Suppressor as I have a Sabre on my Scorpion and a Little Bird for my 22LR. The A-10 does have a different lower tone that sets it apart from other 5.56 suppressor I've been around.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:33:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OlympicArmsFan] [#44]
I need to add this video before I forgot. Micah talks about the AB Warthog for a brief moment. At the 29:50 mark.

https://youtu.be/QSa1xVMLw50?si=PW11p7QNEOQSwLsq

I will look over the other replies in the thread and please keep the info coming. I feel the urge to just buy and I’m fighting that urge. I’m doing my homework for once. I now remember why I hated school haha.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSjX4PXaIZQ
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSjX4PXaIZQ

I do like his videos and I did watch this one and many more on his channel. I will watch it again and hopefully find some more reviews. I want as much data on them as I can get. Thanks!

Here you get subjective feedback with direct comparisons between the full-size Polonium, A-10 Warthog 5.56, and Razor556.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DH-WgftmS0

For a 16" (really anything 12.5" or longer IMO), I urge you to look at the Polo K over the full-size, the creator of it says the same thing.

Another great video. They have a lot of them that are really good to watch and get a feel for.

Do you have a link to where they recomended the Polo K over the standard one? I have seen that the Polo K is 2dbs more than the standard can. Those cans are very interesting and I would like to try them out.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#46]
The A-10 doesn't just sound good, it sounds different.  That's a wholly subjective opinion about sounding different, but there are days when it just sounds better than a 5.56 can should.   I love this can and the price is exceptional.  AB really nailed this one out of the park with the A-10.  
View Quote

The origins of this company is very interesting and how they used super chargers as an inspiration. I always wondered why no one thought about using this knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Got a break in the rain and put a few rounds through the A-10 on a couple of my SBR's and 16" varmint rifle. Combination of Magtec FMJ and my hunting reloads. I'm using YHM QD mounts on all my rifles so I added the YHM HUB to the A-10. Plenty of depth in the A-10 to accept the full length YHM flash hider or brake.

https://i.imgur.com/sx5fssq.jpg

The YHM adapter adds an inch over the direct thread mount. Definitely quieter than my Resonator K on the same rifles. I have H3 buffers in all my suppressed rifles and had no issues using the A-10. No earpro shooting the 10.3" barreled SBR or the 16". No POI change on any of the rifles. 5 for 5 on the coyote silhouette at 250 yds.

https://i.imgur.com/xao23uC.jpg

I'm totally satisfied with the A-10. Not my first AB Suppressor as I have a Sabre on my Scorpion and a Little Bird for my 22LR. The A-10 does have a different lower tone that sets it apart from other 5.56 suppressor I've been around.

https://i.imgur.com/612pyFj.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/sx5fssq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xao23uC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/612pyFj.jpg

I see that you said you didn't use earpro, how were ears after shooting?

I'm wondering how it would be inside a house should I have to use my rifle in that situation. I know my ears are going to ring, but how bad is what I am wondering. Maybe this is with every suppressor were others would shine outdoors.

Thanks for posting and giving me an update. I really like this can. I like the price too. Good to know the YHM mounts work with it too. Keep us posted if you get a chance to shoot some more with it. I will use this on my 16" rifles.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#48]

I see that you said you didn't use earpro, how were ears after shooting?

I'm wondering how it would be inside a house should I have to use my rifle in that situation. I know my ears are going to ring, but how bad is what I am wondering. Maybe this is with every suppressor were others would shine outdoors.

Thanks for posting and giving me an update. I really like this can. I like the price too. Good to know the YHM mounts work with it too. Keep us posted if you get a chance to shoot some more with it. I will use this on my 16" rifles.
View Quote

Shot probably 50 rds under a tin roof open cover and no ringing in the ears. All the supersonic crack was down range. Inside a house? Yeah ears are going to bleed. Would be a lot better with a can but still pretty brutal. My favorite centerfire rifle to shoot suppressed is my .300 BO with the YHM Resonator K and subsonic ammo.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#49]

The origins of this company is very interesting and how they used super chargers as an inspiration. I always wondered why no one thought about using this knowledge.
View Quote
There’s much older cans that use the same toroidal gas flow concept as AB. I don’t think those were clipped, though, and I’ve never seen/heard one in person. I’m not entirely sure I buy their inspiration backstory, though. I think the older cans with that tech precede gas turbines, turbochargers, or jets. And that’s fine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:Another great video. They have a lot of them that are really good to watch and get a feel for.

Do you have a link to where they recomended the Polo K over the standard one? I have seen that the Polo K is 2dbs more than the standard can. Those cans are very interesting and I would like to try them out.
View Quote

I should have been more clear but it was the owner of OCL who said that. I'm wondering if you could tell a practical difference in the "loudness" of 2dB, especially on a 16" outdoors with ear pro. You might just interpret a different "tone" at that point.

The Polo K is extremely popular right now after a bunch of user feedback has been posted publicly. OCL has posted about the backorders they're trying to fill.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top