Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2023 8:49:27 PM EDT
So I've always had a serious love for the DSA OSW and hoping someone here has some real world experience. There is surprisingly little out there about reviews. I have heard some cycling issues with the 11" which is why the new ones are 13", im wanting ideally the 11" with folding stock and quad rail, will suppress it with an OSS can and probably an Elcan or ACOG. What do I need to know about these? Have owned just about every single 7.62 platform but this will be my first FAL
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have experience with the OSW variant, but I wasn't impressed with the DSA DSA SA58 Para Elite. It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want a FAL OSW because they are awesome and look badass, then it doesn't matter. If you're looking for a "battle rifle" there are better options IMO. Certainly lighter weight. But also more reliable.

My experience may be unique. I had a DSA SA58 Para Elite with a 16" fluted barrel. I bought it for the FAL's legendary reliability and DSA's good reputation. I was looking for something heavy-duty and extremely reliable for post-hurricane and/or future shtf type scenarios (lived in FL). I can't find any old pics of it, but it was this model:

First of all, after a few hundred rounds, a casing got stuck in the chamber and wouldn't budge. In pulling the charging handle to attempt to extract the casing, the charging handle BROKE OFF! It was some cast aluminum or pot metal garbage that was disappointing to see on such a supposedly heavy-duty (and relatively pricey) rifle. Talked to DSA and they sent a replacement that was ... made of steel. Much better.

Fast forward a little bit - from what I understand, in order to facilitate a railed top cover, DSA had to redesign the Recoil Guide Rod (?) and the current design seems to break.

During normal shooting at the range, the recoil rod broke, rendering the rifle inoperable. It is just a little metal tail and it broke off completely. Back to DSA, who sent a new one immediately for free. Great CS.

Attachment Attached File

Then it broke again. Same part, same place. I wasn't running a suppressor or doing anything crazy with it. A cursory google search indicated that I wasn't the only one having the problem. DSA happily replaced it again, but I never shot it again. I installed the new recoil rod and sold the gun because I couldn't trust it. I owned it for less than a year, and having 3 show-stopping failures was really disappointing.

I don't know if DSA's attempt to modernize the classic gun is where it went wrong, but for me, the DSA FAL was just not at all what I was expecting.

I do think they look awesome and I'm honestly tempted to pick up an old-school FAL and an OSW just for fun.

But for actual use as a short barrel 308 battle rifle, I've found the SCAR 17 and the POF Rogue to be much better options in terms of reliability and weight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:35:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Daggertt:

Fast forward a little bit -  from what I understand, in order to facilitate a railed top cover, DSA had to redesign the Recoil Guide Rod (?) and the current design seems to break.

During normal shooting at the range, the recoil rod broke, rendering the rifle inoperable. It is just a little metal tail and it broke off completely. Back to DSA, who sent a new one immediately for free. Great CS.
View Quote
The recoil spring guide rod was redesigned for the folding para stock. FN used a similar configuration but it was permanently attached to the top cover. DSA's recoil spring guide is removable so the railed top cover can stay attached to the upper receiver and hold zero.

For a short while I tried DSA's Para folding stock, along with their railed top cover. I did not like it. That recoil assembly seemed flimsy to me and I'm not surprised it broke. I ended up selling it and went back to the fixed stock.

I have DSA's top rail cover on both of my fixed stock FALs (They are not DSA rifles).  I've used the top rails for more than 15 years and it's a good design. Solid, holds zero and well made. The other option (for a fixed stock FAL) is the ARMS top cover rail and it's a very similar design. Those both use the standard recoil spring in the stock with the rat tail on the bolt carrier.

The problem is the rail and the para stock don't really work well together. At least not the way DSA implements it. Folding stock with a smooth FN style top cover is fine. Railed top cover with standard fixed stock is fine.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guys for the info, I always wanted one simply for the cool factor not anything more but I also don’t want a finicky problem child that as NFA is a pain in the ass to send out or get rid of if it’s not what I want. Think I’m gonna let it remain a wish list thing and just get a SCAR or POF then get a full size FAL for fun
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By deputytrueblood:
Thank you guys for the info, I always wanted one simply for the cool factor not anything more but I also don't want a finicky problem child that as NFA is a pain in the ass to send out or get rid of if it's not what I want. Think I'm gonna let it remain a wish list thing and just get a SCAR or POF then get a full size FAL for fun
View Quote
A full size FAL is definitely a lot of fun. I absolutely love mine. You can go with a 16" or 18" barrel and it's not too unwieldy.

For a compact battle rifle try a Tavor 7!  

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you guys for the info, I always wanted one simply for the cool factor not anything more but I also don't want a finicky problem child that as NFA is a pain in the ass to send out or get rid of if it's not what I want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Thank you guys for the info, I always wanted one simply for the cool factor not anything more but I also don't want a finicky problem child that as NFA is a pain in the ass to send out or get rid of if it's not what I want.
While I totally understand your sentiment, I just want you to know there's no additional burden in sending an SBR (or any NFA firearm) off to an FFL for repair or service. It's literally the same as any other rifle. You can drop it off in-person too, if you want.

I was a gunsmith at an FFL and we worked on SBRs frequently.
Of course if DSA fixes it for free, that'd be preferable.

That bend in the Para scope mount recoil spring guide is absolutely a known failure point and that's why my Para wears a standard Para dust cover with DSA's more solid (brazed) guide rod. I also got an original FN Para cover since it's even stronger (I think) but I don't have it fitted yet. My Imbel parts kit was a standard model and I converted it into a Para during assembly using DSA parts and an original Rhodesian para lower I bought from Sportsman's Guide in 2005.

The fixed stock setup is a little smoother, but Paras are cool so I wanted one.
Mainly from a historical perspective, and also because 70s mercenary stuff lol

Think I'm gonna let it remain a wish list thing and just get a SCAR or POF then get a full size FAL for fun
A SCAR or any AR-10 type is a way better rifle for sure.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:38:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DSArms_FAL] [#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#7]
Originally Posted By DSArms_FAL:

Those para rods gave us problems for years we fixed that with different metal selection and a series of radius changes in the bends to strengthen it. I never seen one of these gen2 rods break ever.

The charging handle that was broken was a billet alum alloy 7075. We were listening to our customers and at the time they wanted the rifles lighter. The FAL charging just needs to be steel and we only use steel charging handle on our rifles and haven't used alum in 14 years.

Also we only offer 12" OSW rifles the 11" really needed the right ammo to run optimally. The 13" just doesn't look right so we played with the 12" barrel and the gas port and found a great balance for a reliable OSW.
View Quote
Good info!

@DSArms_FAL  When did you make the change to the gen2 para recoil rods?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
When you live in rural Alaska it gets very expensive to mail anything back usually a couple hundred bucks each way
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the 13" OSW barrel on a SAR48.  Mine is a machinegun and such a pleasure to shoot in this configuration. I would not have opted for the 11". IMO this has a better balance and a better look.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
@DSArms_FAL

Patiently waiting for my new fal to arrive, nice to see a forum presence.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 2xtap:
I have the 13" OSW barrel on a SAR48.  Mine is a machinegun and such a pleasure to shoot in this configuration. I would not have opted for the 11". IMO this has a better balance and a better look.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/q169/tmtbucket/20230607_135049.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
View Quote
That's sexy!
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 2xtap:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/q169/tmtbucket/20230607_135049.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/q169/tmtbucket/20230607_135049.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
View Quote

This is a 13"? Looks short. Does the handguard extend a little in front of the gasblock?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbntex] [#13]
I also have a machinegun SAR48 converted to an OSW with an 11" barrel.   Its never given me any issues or problems.  I think the only issue I had was the original OP rod I received wasn't really very straight.  DSA swapped it out no problems.

I didn't personally like the OEM flash hider that came with the OSW kit as it was an extended A2 birdcage style. I ended up making a custom OSW hider out of a more traditional FAL flash hider that I though looked more the part.

In contrast to some of the other short barrel 308 machineguns.

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my 13" OSW. Fast handling, well balanced and rugged.  I've had no problems with it even suppressed using the grenade launch setting on the gas plug.

I use the ARMS Para topcover and have no problems with that either and it's much lighter than the DSA topcover mount..  The T-1 Aimpoint sits nice and low keeping the natural point-ability of the rifle intact.

No, it isn't my most accurate rifle but will keep 1-1/2" at 100 yards using the dot.  And it's easy to maintain.

YMMV
TheMULE

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top