Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 42 of 42)
Page / 42
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

Stellite is a cobalt alloy, just a trademarked name, like Kleenex vs. facial tissue.   We don't use cobalt; 100% 17-4 H900 stainless  

There's no barrel length restriction, just need to use a muzzle brake muzzle device for barrels under 12" to help mitigate erosion.  Open-tine flash hiders you do not want to use on short barrel; they accelerate wear, much worse than a bare muzzle.
View Quote

Roger

I use brakes on my shorties anyway
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By nomad221:
Probably missed it in the thread. Has DA released a s/n range for the defective S5 cans ? Has DA CS improved  ?
View Quote

They don’t know what serial numbers are affected

They told everyone, “shoot it until it fails”

No idea if their customer service has improved, and I don’t see how it could have gotten any worse
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 797hp:

No idea if their customer service has improved, and I don’t see how it could have gotten any worse
View Quote

Are you an owner of an S5 ? And, your experience  ?

Reason that I'm asking is I'm considering and researching a new 5.56 can.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Thanks. I'm in the market for a new 5.56 can. Does anyone know if KGM is still manufacturing cans for DA ?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Are you an owner of an S5 ? And, your experience  ?

Reason that I'm asking is I'm considering and researching a new 5.56 can.
View Quote

Yes, I bought two.

My opinion is, they’re good cans as long as the blast baffle doesn’t disintegrate.

They sound good and the back pressure is minimal.

That said, I won’t buy another one.

When my cans were in for repairs I bought a YHM Turbo T3 and after shooting it back to back against the Sierra 5, I can’t tell any difference other than a slightly deeper tone out of the T3.

The YHM is a cheaper can that performs just as well as the Sierra 5 so I don’t see the need to roll the dice with Dead Air ever again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Thanks. I'm in the market for a new 5.56 can. Does anyone know if KGM is still manufacturing cans for DA ?
View Quote

I have no idea but I’d be really surprised if DA was letting KGM make any of their parts after this whole fiasco.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By neight:
Anybody here to report on the ECCO rebuilds? I’m thinking I’ll go that route. Even though it’s probably $600 by the time I ship out there get the work done and ship it back.
View Quote

Or, and keep in mind I don't claim to be a personal finance guru, you could have dead air repair it free of charge which could result in a savings of up to $600.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Hilarious. I also drive past KG two to four times a day too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

Stellite is a cobalt alloy, just a trademarked name, like Kleenex vs. facial tissue.   We don't use cobalt; 100% 17-4 H900 stainless  

There's no barrel length restriction, just need to use a muzzle brake muzzle device for barrels under 12" to help mitigate erosion.  Open-tine flash hiders you do not want to use on short barrel; they accelerate wear, much worse than a bare muzzle.
View Quote

Sorry, my misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:41:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GeneralDisaray] [#10]

I have no idea but I’d be really surprised if DA was letting KGM make any of their parts after this whole fiasco.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Why would you say that? There was an obvious design change on the repaired version specifically on the thickness of the baffle and thus weld. What makes you believe anything was KGMs doing?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KM6:

Or, and keep in mind I don't claim to be a personal finance guru, you could have dead air repair it free of charge which could result in a savings of up to $600.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By neight:
Anybody here to report on the ECCO rebuilds? I’m thinking I’ll go that route. Even though it’s probably $600 by the time I ship out there get the work done and ship it back.

I assume he probably doesn't want to go through this: Example of DA customer service
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Right.
Only forty one pages in front of this one spelling it all out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ian187:

I assume he probably doesn't want to go through this: Example of DA customer service
View Quote

People need to stop buying DA…that’s all there is to it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#14]
Originally Posted By ian187:

View Quote

I was literally told that the affected serial # range is unknown, but it's verified (somehow) the issue only effects 1.5% of total production.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a super low serial number, sub 700, and just did an RMA in the website for a preemptive recore. Had a label in my inbox in minutes.

We shall see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sveesix:
I have a super low serial number, sub 700, and just did an RMA in the website for a preemptive recore. Had a label in my inbox in minutes.

View Quote

So they either know that your serial number is in the range affected (and didn't feel the need to recall it) or they don't know the serial numbers affected.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:31:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#17]
Originally Posted By Toker_:

So they either know that your serial number is in the range affected (and didn't feel the need to recall it) or they don't know the serial numbers affected.
View Quote

See my post above.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:24:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mav3rick] [#18]
Originally Posted By sveesix:

View Quote

They had mine for almost 5 months. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]
How KAC handled a QC issue with its new silencer:

Knight's Armament Company has discovered a potential issue with recently released suppressors that may cause damage to the suppressor during use. A revised testing procedure has been implemented to identify and preclude this issue in current production, however, suppressors with serial numbers 5S3126 through 5S7019 (5.56 QDC/CRS-PRT and MCQ-PRT) and 753926 through 7S4609 (7.62 QDC/CRS-PRG) must be returned to Knight's Armament to be verified. Cease use of these suppressors immediately.

The return of these suppressors will be through our returns authorization account: [email protected]. KAC will provide shipping labels to support these returns, do not ship any product until an RMA number has been provided. As these NFA items are being returned for repair and no transfer is taking place, there is no requirement for a Form 5 or any other "transfer" form submission. Refer to ATF guidance for any questions. RMAS will begin to process on June 7, 2023 to allow adequate preparation time.

KAC will supply customers with a list of serial numbers of suppressors to be tested in a separate document if requested. Please notify customer service if intending to use one of these suppressors on an 11.5" CQB with URX4 handguard during the recall RMA.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#20]
My S5 has been great, post-repair. Ive been beating on it since I got it back. Haven't seen those color before in a can? I guess I'll just keep abusing it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:
My S5 has been great, post-repair. Ive been beating on it since I got it back. Haven't seen those color before in a can? I guess I'll just keep abusing it.

https://i.ibb.co/TBT1YJk/20240407-171025.jpg
View Quote

Good to know.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I forgot to take pics after it was freshly repaired, but this one was after about 250 rounds on a 12.5” sbr. It took DA just shy of a month (including two weeks worth of shipping) to get it back in my hands. So far so good.

I did take a few right after it became a tactical maraca with about 1500 rounds through it on the same host.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I just got an email that my repaired Sierra 5 is coming via UPS. So, that is approx 1 month turn-around on the repair. A lot quicker than I expected. Hopefully all will be good to go with it when it gets here...
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 00sdime00:
I forgot to take pics after it was freshly repaired, but this one was after about 250 rounds on a 12.5” sbr. It took DA just shy of a month (including two weeks worth of shipping) to get it back in my hands. So far so good.

https://i.ibb.co/m5nbVyH/IMG-8338.jpg

I did take a few right after it became a tactical maraca with about 1500 rounds through it on the same host.

https://i.ibb.co/NYwJM5V/IMG-7420.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/y4h3L5s/IMG-7419.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/qrbvVTw/IMG-7418.jpg

View Quote

Damn.

I have a feeling mine would have looked like that had I kept shooting it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:22:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CATM] [#26]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
My repaired S5 was delivered today. They included a 20% off their web store code (worthless) on a “we’re sorry we screwed up” card, 2 stickers, and…a brand new keymo mount that I will be selling immediately.

Nice of them to include that as it’s easily worth $175.

Baffles look good, I’m excited to put it through its paces. SOLGW has still not shipped my FA gun (it’s been over 4 months) so can’t burn it down like I want to yet.
View Quote

Same here. Only problem was, they sent it back with a Keymo adapter instead of the Xeno I sent it in with (and all my rifles have Xeno mounts). I gave a call, however, and minutes later I got a tracking number for a replacement Xeno adapter. I had to check the serial number on my can because it looks like brand new, so I've got that going for me...
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Probably missed it in the thread. Has DA released a s/n range for the defective S5 cans ? Has DA CS improved  ?
View Quote

To my knowledge, no S/N range. Their CS improved in my experience with repair times being under a month, and they gave me a new keymo mount so take that for what it's worth, one person's experience.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#28]
After about 700-800 rounds on a 12.5" barrel (direct thread) Foxtrot Mike Mike-15, my S/N 14XX Sierra 5 suffered baffle destruction.  I received my RMA/shipping label on 2/20/24 and shipped it 2/21/24.  I received the suppressor today (4/11/24) via UPS.  Included was a new keymo adapter (installed, but easily removed) and a code for 20% off a future Dead Air purchase.  The flash hider end cap was tightly installed and my direct thread adapter was placed in the box.

This was (still is) probably my favorite suppressor.  To my less than pristine ear it is as quiet, or nearly so, as most of my other 5.56 suppressors (Helios QD/TI, Saker K, Griffin Explorr 224, EA Arx, TB Ultra 5).  It is probably the least gassy, although gas to the face is not a problem for me with any  of my suppressors.  It's less gassy than the Griffin Explorr 224, which is disappointing given the "eco flow" baffle on the Explorr is suppose to cut down on blowback--marketing, I guess.

An interesting note, to me anyway, when it failed.  I was shooting after sunset and noticed some extra flash/sparks when I presume it failed.  At the time I didn't think anything of it and shot several more rounds with no loss of accuracy.  Since I wore hearing protection, I can't comment on the suppression level, although I did not notice any significant increase. When done I shook the suppressor and got the maraca effect.

Sure I am disappointed the suppressor failed, but 50 days, including shipping time, isn't terrible for repair time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AR15Convert:

An interesting note, to me anyway, when it failed.  I was shooting after sunset and noticed some extra flash/sparks when I presume it failed.  At the time I didn't think anything of it and shot several more rounds with no loss of accuracy.  Since I wore hearing protection, I can't comment on the suppression level, although I did not notice any significant increase. When done I shook the suppressor and got the maraca effect.

View Quote

I didn’t notice mine had failed until after the mag i was shooting was empty, when I raised the muzzle to drop that mag and I heard the maraca effect. Not sure if it failed on the first round, last round, or somewhere in between. I was shooting in full daylight, however.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#30]
After about 700-800 rounds on a 12.5" barrel (direct thread) Foxtrot Mike Mike-15, my S/N 14XX Sierra 5 suffered baffle destruction.  I received my RMA/shipping label on 2/20/24 and shipped it 2/21/24.  I received the suppressor today (4/11/24) via UPS.  Included was a new keymo adapter (installed, but easily removed) and a code for 20% off a future Dead Air purchase.  The flash hider end cap was tightly installed and my direct thread adapter was placed in the box.

This was (still is) probably my favorite suppressor.  To my less than pristine ear it is as quiet, or nearly so, as most of my other 5.56 suppressors (Helios QD/TI, Saker K, Griffin Explorr 224, EA Arx, TB Ultra 5).  It is probably the least gassy, although gas to the face is not a problem for me with any  of my suppressors.  It's less gassy than the Griffin Explorr 224, which is disappointing given the "eco flow" baffle on the Explorr is suppose to cut down on blowback--marketing, I guess.

Sure I am disappointed the suppressor failed, but 50 days, including shipping time, isn't terrible for repair time.
View Quote

Greenbro will be around shortly to dispel any doubts about the eco flo toilet bowl baffle system's superior performance.

The S5 is among the best looking rifle suppressors available. If I ever get one I'd have to also get a 20" rifle length FSB gun to put it on.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Greenbro will be around shortly to dispel any doubts about the eco flo toilet bowl baffle system's superior performance.

View Quote

@mageever

Oh wait....
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#32]

The S5 is among the best looking rifle suppressors available. If I ever get one I'd have to also get a 20" rifle length FSB gun to put it on.
View Quote

Does he pay rent to live in your head?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:50:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WVUSIG] [#33]

View Quote

You are saying your Sierra 5 is less gassy than your Explorr 224? The S5 is a gassy girl and everyone that I know who owns an Explorr says they are fantastic with little gas.

Of the cans you mention, my S5 is much more gassy than my Helios QD on all of my hosts (11.5" - 16" KACs & LMTs). Of my 15 cans, my S5 may be my most gassy -- maybe rivaled by my Turbo T2.

Are you comparing both of these cans on the same host?

All this said, I really like my S5.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

You are saying your Sierra 5 is less gassy than your Explorr 224? The S5 is a gassy girl and everyone that I know who owns an Explorr says they are fantastic with little gas.

Of the cans you mention, my S5 is much more gassy than my Helios QD on all of my hosts (11.5" - 16" KACs & LMTs). Of my 15 cans, my S5 may be my most gassy -- maybe rivaled by my Turbo T2.

Are you comparing both of these cans on the same host?

All this said, I really like my S5.
View Quote

Idk man... my explorr is a lot less gassy than my friends s5. Could be host dependent though
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

Idk man... my explorr is a lot less gassy than my friends s5. Could be host dependent though
View Quote

Agreed, my S5 is very gassy and my friends who own an Explorr all comment to me that they are not gassy at all. Of my cans that have eco-flow (HRT 556, Dual-Lok 5) they are not gassy at all. I was surprised to read the poster above saying their S5 was less gassy than their Explorr.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:33:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#36]
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

Agreed, my S5 is very gassy and my friends who own an Explorr all comment to me that they are not gassy at all. Of my cans that have eco-flow (HRT 556, Dual-Lok 5) they are not gassy at all. I was surprised to read the poster above saying their S5 was less gassy than their Explorr.
View Quote

I wonder if the ABD on the L6 might drop S5 back pressure if, of course, DA would sell it as an accessory.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I honestly don’t notice a lot of gas with the S5, even on a 10.3”

Then again my indoor range has a really good ventilation system, it’s like shooting in a fricken wind tunnel
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#38]
^^^You're fortunate, my indoor range is horrible in that regard.  I've always felt the Sierra was quite gassy myself.

Received my Sierra back from it's second trip in to remove the Xeno mount.  Guessing it was galled threads, no idea.  They did respray it with Cerakote and sent it back looking new along with a new front flash hider cap (they had the old in there too) and a Keymo mount which is now listed in the equipment exchange along with two Xeno flash hiders.

I converted the Sierra over to the Huxwrx QD HUB mount since I run a few Hux cans and all my rifles have Huxwrx muzzle devices.  Just made sense.  It's 4 grams heavier but a simpler design.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
My repaired S5 was delivered today. They included a 20% off their web store code (worthless) on a “we’re sorry we screwed up” card, 2 stickers, and…a brand new keymo mount that I will be selling immediately.
Nice of them to include that as it’s easily worth $175.
View Quote

Wow-didn't get any of that with mine when I got mine back-just a xeno flash hider which I will probably just sell as I prefer the brakes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah the Huxwrx HUB adapter is brand new this year and I'm using it on a few cans including the aforementioned Sierra 5 and a Diligent Defense can for my bolt gun.  

It's on the left (obviously) with the Keymo on right.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:

Wow-didn't get any of that with mine when I got mine back-just a xeno flash hider which I will probably just sell as I prefer the brakes.
View Quote

They may have felt bad since my can had to go in twice in short succession for something that wasn't of my doing.  I originally purchased it with the Xeno rear mount and they likely had to cut it out to get it off the can.  It was on there that tight which is why I think it was likely galling.  The Keymo had some anti-seize on the threading this time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Ape_Factory:

They may have felt bad since my can had to go in twice in short succession for something that wasn't of my doing.  I originally purchased it with the Xeno rear mount and they likely had to cut it out to get it off the can.  It was on there that tight which is why I think it was likely galling.  The Keymo had some anti-seize on the threading this time.
View Quote

It was probably just on there tight and someone took an impact gun and spun it off.  The Xeno adapter is nitrided 4140 steel and the S5 has a stainless tube.   Even if you tried this and it didn't work, not all impact guns are equal, and not holding it locks their muscles up tight enough to maximize the impact (I'm not a philosopher or a physicist, but it happens when different people hold the same part).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#44]
"DuckHuntingTN" posted a great comparison of suppressors through hundreds/thousands of rounds each.

Other 5.56 cans compared:

YHM Turbo
YHM Turbo K
HUX Flow 556K
OCL Polo K
CAT WB

Dead Air Sierra 5: ~2000rds. This is going to get hate, but I love the can. I have an early serial number (1800s), but have been very lucky. No tactical maraca and I’ve run this thing hard. When all of the shit was going down I burned down 210 rds as fast as I could to force the issue and no problem. Ive also since run it on a transferable machine gun without issues. I think it represents the sweet spot in size and suppression performance. If the maraca issue would not have come about I think they would have been a huge success. It is very high back pressure though. Much more so than an OCL Polo K. I run it on a carbine length 12.5 with a BRT EZ tune tube at 0.057 and an A5H2 (A5H4 has the gun not even recoiling, but a little sluggish so run the a5h2). Im very happy with it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#45]
It figures a guy with a stable of cans gets a good one, while so many first timers got the roach in the burrito.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
It figures a guy with a stable of cans gets a good one, while so many first timers got the roach in the burrito.
View Quote

Or he could have been paid to say that
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

By who? OCL?

OCL Polo K: 1300rds. An absolutely awesome suppressor for the price and if budget is of any concern the one and only choice. Mine lives on a 10.5 with an A5H1 with sprinco Green and a 0.057 BRT EZ tune tube. Minimal to no gas to face. Personally I think the gas issue is overblown with the OCL poloK. Granted I’ve got mine perfectly tuned, but it’s easy to do and even not tuned it’s no different than the Turbo K. It is less back pressure than the Sierra 5. It won’t cycle my 12.5 with 0.057 that the Sierra 5 will.
Page / 42
Next Page Arrow Left
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 42 of 42)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top